2 litre Coke bottles no more?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    They aren't phasing out cans. What on earth gave you that idea? Some stores might give prominence to 500 mL but that's cause they have a higher gross profit. Cans are here to stay.

I always find it annoying when stores such as Boots and WH Smiths and certain supermarkets only stock the 500ml bottles and not cans. Also the 500ml bottle should cost about 50% more than the can based on the price per 100ml but it's not uncommon to have in stores a 330ml can costing about 65p and a 500ml bottle costing around £1.25 - almost 100% more! Basically the 500ml bottles are artificially high compared with the price of cans - probably why the aforementioned stores don't sell cans.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop believing the spin that multi national companies come out with. They are fleecing you out of something if they reduce the size and keep the price the same or increase it. There is no way whatsoever anyone can say otherwise.

You are making the mistake of thinking you have the right to buy x amount for x price. You don't. It's their company, and their product. They will price it as they see fit. Don't like it? Don't buy it.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    You are making the mistake of thinking you have the right to buy x amount for x price. You don't. It's their company, and their product. They will price it as they see fit. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Oh for gods sake. You are not even bothering to listen to what I am saying are you? The business is fleecing British consumers by reducing the size of the bottles and keeping the pricing the same. How did they manage to do 2L bottles for so long? Yes, they can price as they see fit. It doesn't change the fact that they are giving us less then for our money.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local Tesco is being a bit sneaky. There's big posters up and price signs for the new 1.75l bottles for £1.25. They've also got a tonne of 2l bottles that aren't priced at all so I scanned one to see how much it was and they're actually £1 each!
    We stopped by bottles coke years ago. The cans are a million times better as you never have to put up with any flat Coke. A 2l bottle is ok if you're with a group of people and you're going to all drink the whole bottle that night.

:confused: The bottles last days without going flat. You only get around 4 glasses out of a 2l bottle anyway.

Cans are terrible as they're far too small, if I have cans I always have to have two.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    To the people who say the 2ltr bottles go flat too quickly, do you keep your coke in the fridge or in the cupboard? If you keep it in the fridge it will stay fizzy for up to a week. By the end I find it a bit flatter but still fizzy. It always annoys me when I go to my Mums because she keeps hers in the cupboard, but for some reason she like it flat, yuk.

Aldi are still selling the 2ltr bottle so I'm still buying them there. I don't know what they're planning to do once they run out.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Coca Cola believe that consumers now want a more convenient 1.75L bottle, why haven't they done it with Fanta, Sprite, Dr Pepper etc? Or are they just trailing these new sizes to see if sales stay steady?
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for gods sake. You are not even bothering to listen to what I am saying are you? The business is fleecing British consumers by reducing the size of the bottles and keeping the pricing the same. How did they manage to do 2L bottles for so long? Yes, they can price as they see fit. It doesn't change the fact that they are giving us less then for our money.

It's not really fleecing though, it's just a price hike without it seeming like a price hike.

I don't think people are as dumb as they think though, they could have just been open about it, kept the 2 L bottles and raised the price. People who buy it are still going to buy it if it's only 20p or 30p more per bottle. For many it's a habit, an addictive drink so they're not going to give it up for a few extra pennies. Raising the prices of cigarettes didn't stop people from smoking.

Hard to believe that they're touting it as some kind of 'convenient' size. :confused: How does reducing the contents by 250 ml = convenience?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread reads like Cocaholics anonymous.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I have stopped buying it and have developed quite a taste for lemon and orange sugar free Fanta. I won't be going back to Coke out of principal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I have stopped buying it and have developed quite a taste for lemon and orange sugar free Fanta. I won't be going back to Coke out of principal.

And who owns Fanta? Coca Cola! LOL! ;-)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lombard wrote: »
    This thread reads like Cocaholics anonymous.

I believe cola addiction should be taken just as seriously as alcohol or drug addiction.

It is more insidious than drugs and alcohol as over use of cola will eventually lead to problems associated with type 2 diabetes which can be just as bad as long term alcohol abuse.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    where do you get 3 litre bottles? i've never seen them

I've only ever seen them in Iceland.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I've only ever seen them in Iceland.

Yes Iceland and sometimes you can get them in the Factory Outlet shops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Not sure why anyone would purchase cans instead of bottles. Cost per 100ml is much higher.

We are the only country to have the smaller size.

of course we are also the most expensive country for coke - much cheaper in Europe and the USA and all in 2l bottles!

We drink caffeine free with our bourbon, so a limited choice.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I find cans much more preferrable to plastic bottles.

They're the right size for me. I can drink one can in a sitting.

A 2L bottle could be in the fridge for weeks and i'd probably end up wasting a third of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    canvey wrote: »
    Not sure why anyone would purchase cans instead of bottles. Cost per 100ml is much higher.

of course we are also the most expensive country for coke - much cheaper in Europe and the USA and all in 2l bottles!

You're wrong about the cost of a can being higher. Unless you get a special offer in poundland etc the average price of a bottle is around £1.20. A can is around 65p. 500Ml for 1.20 and 330ml for 65p. A can works out cheaper.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're wrong about the cost of a can being higher. Unless you get a special offer in poundland etc the average price of a bottle is around £1.20. A can is around 65p. 500Ml for 1.20 and 330ml for 65p. A can works out cheaper.

I think they were referring to the larger bottles, not the 500 ml ones. Many stores offer the 1.75 l size for £1, which is very economical compared to the price of cans.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Still get 2 litre bottles here in Ireland. I have three of them sitting in my kitchen. I have no problems drinking either Coca Cola or Pepsi. Of course I go for the diet/zero versions as the real stuff tastes like medicine and sends me high as a kite lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member

was comparing the 1.75/2l cost to a 330ml can.

I rarely buy on the sticker price, I always try and purchase on the cost per 100ml or 100g for anything.

This way, I will look at the same product in various size options, as the larger is not always the cheapest.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    canvey wrote: »

Cans are colder and fizzier.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer Pepsi Max!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed that cans have gone up in price so I have switched to a cheaper drink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that cans have gone up in price so I have switched to a cheaper drink.

From what to what?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Quite annoyed at this too. I just won't drink Coke Zero anymore, unless the bottles are now on sale for a £1 or on one of those 3 for £3 or 2 for £2 type deals. Still though, before you could often get two 2 litre bottles for £2...
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    I haven't bought a bottle of Coke since the 1.75 litre bottles were introduced.

Pepsi Max or Diet Pepsi bottles are all I'll buy now usually £1 each. I'll still buy multipacks of cans of Diet Coke when they are priced reasonably. But yeah, I can see myself in 20 years still sticking to my point of principle telling the grand children about the good old days when Coke used to be sold in 2L bottles. :)