Options

Is it possible to stay in a caravan this time of year

tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry for dumb question. Is it possible to stay in a caravan this time of year at a good price it being off-peak season? Or is that not how they work.

Comments

• Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for dumb question. Is it possible to stay in a caravan this time of year at a good price it being off-peak season? Or is that not how they work.

I doubt many places would be open at this time of year, sites often close down totally for the winter then restart people in the spring. There's no demand at all, so to open a site just for you would be very expensive. The earliest I've generally seen places to open are from March.

I wouldn't want to stay in a caravan at this time of year anyway. I'll admit to a bias having stayed in a caravan a couple of years ago as a family thing and thinking it was the worst experience ever with practically no privacy, a tiny shower, uncomfortable seating and so on. At this time of year though you'll have the addition of strong winds blowing the thing about (and I've seen the news pictures of blown over caravans), and freezing temperatures.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Some campsites stay open all year but not all. Off-season prices will be cheaper. Depends on what you're after. Look here for the area you're interested in.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member

Presumably you mean to 'hire' one - not to use your own?.

Many places close down for the winter, but you could probably find somewhere that's still open?. But why not just go to a B&B?.

Some friends of mine take their (large) touring caravan to Scotland ever year for the New Year.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who spent Christmas week in a caravan at a site in the Peak District - she said that the site was about a quarter full. The two nearest pubs to the caravan site were both open Christmas Day, so they weren't stuck for something to do. She'd prepared all the food at home before setting off, so it was just a case of warming it up on Christmas Day. Not something I'd fancy doing though - but I suppose if you want to get away from all the hustle and bustle its one option.

I've got another friend who hired a cottage with his wife in the Yorkshire Dales for three Christmases in a row rather than stay at home or visit family. It was only when they had their son that they decided to stay at home for Christmas because suddenly there were a lot more family and friends descending upon them, and they didn't want their son to miss the idea of Santa visiting at home on Christmas Eve, coming down the chimney, and leaving presents under the tree.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have friends who live permanently in a caravan (a "mobile home") - a 2 bedroom affair. They move out for one month of the year into a Premier Lodge or similar under their contract (insisted by the site owners) to avoid having to pay council tax. They usually go away in November and come back for Xmas /New Year.

Their caravan is fully central heated, with toilet / shower etc. The site amenities close down end October to start March, but local village is only 1 mile away where there are plenty shops, cafes, pubs and carry-out food.
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't want to stay in a caravan any time of the year.
  • Options
    catzooocatzooo Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Yes. We are off in our tourer tomorrow for the weekend. Not too far, just 20 miles out to the coast. Yes it will be wild and windy. But it's lovely and cosy and warm in the caravan. The site we are going to is next to a pub so we may go in there Saturday to eat. Self cater the rest.
    Lots of bracing walks with the dogs on the beach.
    It is maybe a couple of quid cheaper than in season. I think we pay £12 per night which includes power.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are sites still open you just need to look around to find one. They are often still quite popular at this time as they are cheaper.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great replies- thank you.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top end caravans are better than any hotel rooms. And no, you won't be cold in them, those days have long gone.
    http://www.willerby.com/sheraton-uk-holiday-home-181
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are loads of static caravan holidays Unity Farm at brean sands have a 6berth for £118 there is a heated pool there and weekend entertainment
    Should think there are loads more Pontins haven etc and private rental as well have a good time
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stay in mine year round except for February, it's VERY cold though as it's old.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends

All the modern, higher spec caravans (the kind you pull with a car) & good spec motor homes are all insulated and feature either a blown air heating system or on the most modern, a wet heating system. Some of the smallest, motor homes may not have it though.

Static caravans (the large ones that stay in one place) are more like houses. They vary in size and features. Most will have some form of heating system. At the larger end are mobile homes where u can live in them all year round.
  • Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Id be worried about being cold and damp but, some of the replies have indicate otherwise so, good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of course it is.

Caravans are well insulated. I think you are talking about statics, but if you are talking about tourers, then many people take them away in winter.

Sometimes they need special wintering treatment, to
    a) eg make sure water doesn't freeze in outside pipes
    b) use a different gas (red bottles, rather than blue bottles), which gas off at a lower temperature and therefore continue to work properly in low temperatures.