Options

Wayward Pines

Comments

• Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,815
    Forum Member
    I didn't like how they revealed the premise in the first episode either.. I like a bit of suspense!

I suppose we all have different views, but the 'reveal' at the end actually appealed to me because it gives it more potential, for me anyway. I get fed up with unexplained 'supernatural' phenomena as the main point of a story. I far prefer conspiracy type stories where it's human intervention that causes something like this.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV would kill for those viewing figures these days.

Indeed but Fox in the US has a much wider reach. 4.71 million were watching Bones only 3.76 stayed there to watch the Wayward Pines premier. In context 8 million preferred Big bang repeats.

That said it launched against a couple of finales - in particular "The Blacklist" which could have a large audience overlap. So it may pick up this week
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Indeed but Fox in the US has a much wider reach. 4.71 million were watching Bones only 3.76 stayed there to watch the Wayward Pines premier. In context 8 million preferred Big bang repeats.

That said it launched against a couple of finales - in particular "The Blacklist" which could have a large audience overlap. So it may pick up this week

I thought the 3.76 million figure was referring to the UK premier on Fox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the 3.76 million figure was referring to the UK premier on Fox.

I don't think so. 3.76 is definitely the US figure so it would be a bit of a coincidence if they were both the same. These were Nielsen preliminary figures (I've seen it as 3.81 adjusted)

Also see the following link which implies that the UK figure must have been less than 1 million as "So far, the WAYWARD PINES premiere was seen by nearly a million people in the only 17 international markets from which ratings data is available."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/05/15/foxs-wayward-pines-premiere-delivers-strong-performances-in-international-markets/404769/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    I don't think so. 3.76 is definitely the US figure so it would be a bit of a coincidence if they were both the same.

Also see the following link which implies that the UK figure must have been less than 1 million as "So far, the WAYWARD PINES premiere was seen by nearly a million people in the only 17 international markets from which ratings data is available."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/05/15/foxs-wayward-pines-premiere-delivers-strong-performances-in-international-markets/404769/

I think this thread is getting crossed wires between US and UK based posts. I suspected 3.76 million for a Fox UK show was too good to be true.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely that's very good for a satellite channel?

For a cable or satellite channel, those ratings would be great. But not for a major network channel like Fox. Sadly, the likes of ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox demand higher numbers than that.

ITV would kill for those viewing figures these days.

True :D.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone wants anything truly original then they'll be waiting a long time - everything's been done.

I don't think people are expecting anything wholly original. As you said - everything's been done. Nobody is under any illusions in this regard.
    But when you have a concept like this that has been done before numerous times, then you expect the writers to at least attempt a fresh take on the idea and tell the story with their own distinct voice that sets them apart from the others. Right now, I feel like I'm watching the onscreen baby of The Prisoner and Twin Peaks and not a particularly great one compared to them.
    That said, it's only been 1 episode, so the show could easily improve and transform into something entirely different. But we can only judge what we've seen so far. I am more than willing to give it a chance to grow and find its own voice as I like the premise and the actors involved. :)
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what pace this thread is so will try not to say too much.

I'm mainly watching be cause Carla Gugugogino is in it. But I like the premise of the show and the ending of episode one.

It is advertised as an 'event' so I take it, it is just one season?
    Is she the wife?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this thread is getting crossed wires between US and UK based posts. I suspected 3.76 million for a Fox UK show was too good to be true.

Oh OK.
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she the wife?

No, the wife is played by Shannyn Sossamon.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we get the show airing first as it's on at 9pm uk time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Oooh yes it looks that way. Is this a first for a US show to be shown in the UK before the US?
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it's on Fox UK Thursday nights at 9pm. It then get repeated later in the night at 1am.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh yes it looks that way. Is this a first for a US show to be shown in the UK before the US?
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Yes, it's on Fox UK Thursday nights at 9pm. It then get repeated later in the night at 1am.

It's got to be a first. I'm confused at to why they did it this way and not just show it over here on Friday evening.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I saw this in the Recommend section on Sky On Demand.

It is a bit cheeky to seem to be promoting it as M Night. show.

I'm going to give the first ep a watch. For anyone else with Sky are the other things worth watching, the character bios and cast interviews?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that Juliette Lewis was one of the main stars of the show, so was surprised when her character was killed off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's got to be a first. I'm confused at to why they did it this way and not just show it over here on Friday evening.

They launched it in 126 countries on the same day. I guess with such a short series it makes little sense to then move it to a different day for episodes 2-10.

As to why - I suspect it's an experiment to see the impact on piracy

http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines/article/first-ever-global-preview-event-wayward-pines
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Juliette Lewis was one of the main stars of the show, so was surprised when her character was killed off.

The series is moving at a fast pace compared to the books, but if guess they have a lot to cram in :)
    I was expecting her death but not quite so quickly lol
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

IIRC some episodes of Stargate aired in the UK before they aired in the US.

Yeah just checked and the 2nd half of Season 10 aired on Sky One before airing in the U.S.

Not quite the same but there's also been programs cancelled in the U.S which had unaired (as part of the original run) episodes shown in the UK before they were ever seen in the U.S. Firefly being one example.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »

Looking at the ratings, it appears the Wayward Pines' premiere was only able to draw in 3.76 million viewers.
    Surely that's very good for a satellite channel?

That's the US rating which is fairly low.
    However, it was up against some tough competition and the time-shifted figures are more encouraging
    http://variety.com/2015/tv/ratings/foxs-wayward-pines-premiere-rating-nearly-doubles-with-time-shifted-viewing-1201500871/
  • Options
    ati_qtimportaati_qtimporta Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Hi :)
    Has anyone seen this TV series? I watched the first episode two days ago and I think it's very promising.
    It was produced and directed by M. Night Shyamalan and it's located in a mysterious small town in Idaho (US).
    Matt Dillon is a U.S. Secret Service agent and he is sent to that town to investigate the disappearance of two federal agents, but he has a car accident and when he awakens he realises that something is going on in that town. I won't go any further.....:D
    There are some other faces that you might know, like Terrence Howard as Sheriff Pope and Juliette Lewis as Beverly, a waitress.
    I don't know why, but all these series set in small american towns are really attractive to me.
    And in my case, I'm very pleased, because I watched the first episode in English and without subtitles and I could understand almost everything :):) (I'm Spanish)
    Looking forward to watch more.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying this show. A little inspired by Twin Peaks which is no bad thing.
  • Options
    ati_qtimportaati_qtimporta Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Oh, there is a thread about this series. I didn't know that.
    Well, now you can understand my post :D
    Thank you moderator for moving it to the right place.
  • Options
    rovermacrovermac Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what pace this thread is so will try not to say too much.

I'm mainly watching be cause Carla Gugugogino is in it. But I like the premise of the show and the ending of episode one.

It is advertised as an 'event' so I take it, it is just one season?

Think you used a bit too much igugo there Butch
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Loved the second episode. Can't wait to see how the story unfolds but also thinking of buying the first book so not sure what to do!