The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    France will be the first of the Big five to withdraw I think. They never seem interested looking at their ratings. I can see them not actually coming next year. The women who commented seems senior enough to have an influence.

Well, perhaps they should sent in a decent song for once :confused:

Except for the UK (sorry guys ;-)), the other big countries have sometimes sent reasonable songs to the contest over the last few years.

Personally, I would opt for a song that has Balkan influences or something Scandinavian (at least gets you into double figures).

And for who asked, Celine Dion was indeed the last French sung entry to win. Going by the last 20 years or so (compared with the first 40 years), it is very seldom that a foreign sung entry wins (almost this year, if not for the jury votes). For example, from 1982 to 1991 we only had 1 winner who sang in English :o
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha trying to remember which bookmaker I had my Sweden bet with took ages, logged into loads of different ones
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    http://wiwibloggs.com/2015/05/24/lisa-angell-my-failure-injustice/96401/

Drama in France! Can't say I blame them... They won't forget that in a while. Ha.. Ha.. :D:blush:

I do enjoy the ones that kick off the way I would. :D
    I can't believe people are still trotting the 'we should pull out, it's entirely hopeless, are taste is just too different' line for SILWY's result.

Let's think back to that March night when the song was first revealed. Almost unanimous revulsion! It's no surprise voters hearing it for the first time last night agreed.

It'd still be the same if we won, but blithering on about hosting costs, you can't win either way with the stuck records that refuse to be reasoned with.
    Logic still climbing in iTunes. Up to 19, Mans still at 4. Hope both can stay about for a while and go top 40 next week. (Will be tough with the new streaming concept which willbe pretty much nil for the euro songs)

Polina also still top 40:)

:D:D
  • contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    da33431 wrote: »
    I was surprised Belgium only came 8th in the UK televote yet it's 2nd on iTunes :confused:

I guess it appeals to a certain subset of the eurovision audience that downloads but doesn't bother to vote...
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the UK weird jury results been discussed.

They went from 1, 4, 12, 7, 7 in SF2 into 1, 1, 1, 3, 7 in the Final for Sweden. Quite indecisive!!!
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    I do enjoy the ones that kick off the way I would. :D

It'd still be the same if we won, but blithering on about hosting costs, you can't win either way with the stuck records that refuse to be reasoned with.

:D:D

I never have any luck with autocorrect!!! Supervagina!!
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    gottago wrote: »
    The ratings in France this year were higher than they have been in years.
    That will make they even more annoyed and more likely to quit. . Did it not clash with the voice in previous years. It cant be that this year entry had more effort in it than say 2009 and 2011.
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Who knew Eurovision was big in the United Arab Emirates?? :confused:

http://esctracker.com

Trijntje still smashing it in Tajikistan!
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    Speaking of Supervagina's, I bet Latvians are glad they didn't send Markus Riva now!
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Marcel Besançon Awards went to Norway-Songwriter's Award, Italy-Press Award and Sweden-Commentator's award for excellence. Is there nobody else who could present them other than Herr Bjorkman? "Good luck with the big one" ^_^
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=184&v=kZpodH86O5E
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the UK weird jury results been discussed.

They went from 1, 4, 12, 7, 7 in SF2 into 1, 1, 1, 3, 7 in the Final for Sweden. Quite indecisive!!!

Sweden really felt like a winner on saturday. Before that and in the semi I was very much no! So many juries felt the same.
  • KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a party last night where I was the only who had heard the songs prior. The unanimous least favourite on the night was Albania (!) followed by Poland.

Belgium was the strong favourite, with Sweden, Israel, Australia and bizzarely Armenia completing the top five. Russia was well received by most. Someone also had Hungary in their top 10!

The only act that no one could actually remember performing during the recap was Germany (even after I described more of the song and everything about it). So that might have had a little to do with their bad result.
    Forum Member
    I think the Germans probably had the worst staging of the night, although I did cringe when the Austrian piano caught fire :D
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the shock when greece and Cyprus gave each other 10 and 8:D

When was the last time they didn't exchange 12's?

It was 1990 when they only gave each other 6 points each! :o
    (I had to look that up by the way: http://www.eurovisioncovers.co.uk/xtgre.htm)

This is one of the many things I love about Eurovision, it supplies so many intriguing little statistics and records. :kitty:
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Kasphlam wrote: »
    We had a party last night where I was the only who had heard the songs prior. The unanimous least favourite on the night was Albania (!) followed by Poland.

Belgium was the strong favourite, with Sweden, Israel, Australia and bizzarely Armenia completing the top five. Russia was well received by most. Someone also had Hungary in their top 10!

These were the top 5 votes with my family (note that we weren't together in the same room or house, so influencing of votes):

1. Australia
    2. Italy
    3. Israël
    4. Belgium
    5. Norway

Sweden and Russia only got very low scores (I gave Sweden 2 points I believe and The UK one point for recreating that 70's sitcom intro sound :D).

Kasphlam wrote: »
    The only act that no one could actually remember performing during the recap was Germany (even after I described more of the song and everything about it). So that might have had a little to do with their bad result.

Assume this wasn't a male crowd :blush:

A bit misguided act that, considering the people who mainly vote on this :D
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That will make they even more annoyed and more likely to quit.
    It won't, TV doesn't work like that. Ratings are ratings.
    Forum Member
    Alicey wrote: »
    Trijntje still smashing it in Tajikistan!

Maybe one day we'll have all the ex-Soviet's competing! :o
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was one bit at the beginning of Ann Sophie's performance where she was standing in front of that strange light circle with a black round bit - she turned round to look over her shoulder and what with the black circle, and the bun in her hair - she transformed into Mickey Mouse for a second ...

https://youtu.be/DGMJOchTRPc?t=24
  • KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These were the top 5 votes with my family (note that we weren't together in the same room or house, so influencing of votes):

1. Australia
    2. Italy
    3. Israël
    4. Belgium
    5. Norway

Sweden and Russia only got very low scores (I gave Sweden 2 points I believe and The UK one point for recreating that 70's sitcom intro sound :D).

Assume this wasn't a male crowd :blush:

A bit misguided act that, considering the people who mainly vote on this :D

My parents (who were watching together but separately) had a top 2 of Belgium and Latvia, and one chose Israel and the other Georgia as their third. Neither of them liked Sweden or Russia either!

It was actually a very straight-male heavy crowd, but they all thought the belle of the ball was between Lithuania's Monika and Edurne. Poor Ann Sophie didn't get their attention sadly :(
  • contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    There was one bit at the beginning of Ann Sophie's performance where she was standing in front of that strange light circle with a black round bit - she turned round to look over her shoulder and what with the black circle, and the bun in her hair - she transformed into Mickey Mouse for a second ...

https://youtu.be/DGMJOchTRPc?t=24

hahaha!
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knew Eurovision was big in the United Arab Emirates?? :confused:

http://esctracker.com

Lot's of Europeans based in UAE. Huge Russian population in particular.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    France will be the first of the Big five to withdraw I think. They never seem interested looking at their ratings. I can see them not actually coming next year. The women who commented seems senior enough to have an influence.

They've just recorded the highest ratings in quite some time so...
    Forum Member
    Lot's of Europeans based in UAE. Huge Russian population in particular.

Ah right, wasn't sure if was shown there, thanks :)

This made me laugh from the comments section on the Guardian website re: Latvia -

"she just stood and wailed in broken English whilst looking like a 'novelty toilet brush'"

:o:D
  • dbj2dbj2 Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    But Sarah Dawn Finer is half-English?

I thought she was half American.

As an aside, I watched a episode of Entourage this morning on Sky, and Il Volo were in it.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbj2 wrote: »
    I thought she was half American.

As an aside, I watched a episode of Entourage this morning on Sky, and Il Volo were in it.

She's both, she just grew up in Sweden
This discussion has been closed.