TV sound dropout with headphones

I apologise I wasnt quite sure where to put this, but I listen to TV through my headphones/amp with ARC and its just started to drop out/switch the sound most of the time which is really, really annoying >:(
Maybe its to do with the possible weak TV signal (engineering works) on my transmitter (CP) this week, idk :confused: Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is unlikely that a weak signal would affect only the sound. It is much more likely to affect both sound and picture. So if the picture quality is fine then in theory so should the sound.

One test that you could do, if the TV will allow, is to run the TV speakers and headphones at the same time. If there is an issue with the signal then both should drop out at the same time. However if it is an issue with the amp/headphones then the TV speakers should stay working when the headphones drop out.

Also do you use speakers with the amp? Do they drop out in the same way?

Do you have any other source of audio to test with the amp, eg a DVD, Blu-Ray player or PVR with an independent audio connection to the amp (ie direct HDMI or optical connection). If they drop out in the same way then it's not the telly.

Do you have another device that you can plug the headphones into? It is not uncommon for headphone leads to break (I have replaced dozens in my time :) ) usually where the cable enters the plug or body of the headphones. This can give intermittent working. So using some other device to feed the headphones should show that up.

As would trying a different pair of headphones with the amp.

You could also try a different HDMI lead just in case the ARC connection on the lead you are using is dodgy.

Basically it is a case of trying various different combinations of kit in order to narrow down which is at fault.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Sorry I didnt reply to this thread :) Things have improved somewhat now and the only "dropout" I get when watching TV is when the signal appears to switch from Dolby Pro Logic II to Dolby Digital for some reason. It does that of its own accord though but not as bad as before
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Sorry I didnt reply to this thread :) Things have improved somewhat now and the only "dropout" I get when watching TV is when the signal appears to switch from Dolby Pro Logic II to Dolby Digital for some reason. It does that of its own accord though but not as bad as before

I presume this is on the display of the amp?

It could be the TV programme you are watching. On Freeview, for example, the HD programmes can have a full surround audio track which the TV converts to Dolby Digital (it's not broadcast in that format). Other programmes and all the SD channels are stereo. This may trigger the amp's ProLogic decoder.

The gap is simply the amp detecting the format of the audio it's receiving and choosing an appropriate decoder for it. Though it should do that very quickly
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Yes, thats right :) Its shown on the display of the amp. Thanks for explaining :)
    Most of the time I watch on Freeview but havent noticed any trouble with Freesat yet afaik, and I dont get those sorts of dropouts with Blu Ray (unless my headphone batteries are dying)