Terrorist attack at Tunisia beach

Comments

• anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Four of the seriously injured have been flown home by the RAF.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33322789
    Medics experienced at bringing injured service personnel back from operations overseas were on board.
    The Ministry of Defence said the plane had flown into Birmingham Airport, where one patient was taken off, before it continued to Brize Norton.
    The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham confirmed it was treating one patient airlifted from Tunisia.
    A spokesman said the patient arrived at 00:45 BST and was being "assessed by the hospital's multi-disciplinary team" to determine what care was needed.
    The MoD said it was working with NHS England to arrange for each patient to reach the "best hospital in their area for their needs".
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Four of the seriously injured have been flown home by the RAF.

It must be a relief to get back, bet the people who lost family and friends can not wait to get then back. So very sad.
  • Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Security now being beefed up "Mohamed Gharsalli said 1,000 troops would now be deployed to protect the country's beach resorts." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33313749 "Tunisian authorities say army reservists will be deployed to tourist sites ..."
    That's hardly the kind of stuff dream holidays are made of though. When you book your holiday and have freedom of choice where to go, having armed guards on the beach versus say, a waterpark, wouldn't be one of those things that tipped the balance in favour of Tunisia.

In any case, although they try to escape, the killers usually get killed as well, which they don't seem unduly bothered about (72 virgins/martyr bollocks) - so as long as they can sneak weapons through, I don't think armed guards would necessarily mean it was problem solved.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^and in many cases may cause just as many causalities should they decide to engage the enemy and your stuck in the cross fire.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3143795/Sunbed-killer-s-link-Britain-Tunisia-massacre-gunman-Seifeddine-Rezgui-inspired-fanatic-ran-global-terror-cell-London.html

Just been reading this but not in the least surprised gunman had links to Britain.
    I reckon it's the tip of the iceberg.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    It must be a relief to get back, bet the people who lost family and friends can not wait to get then back. So very sad.

Yes the RAF have offered to bring home the deceased. I feel so desperately sad for anyone involved and for those who still haven't had confirmation, it must be torture. The Tunisians face a very uncertain future now. I also worry about Morocco, as the whole of Northern Africa is on the IS agenda.
    Latest from the Telegraph.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/tunisia/11701043/Tunisia-attack-shooting-gunman-tourists-victims-live.html
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    At sunset last night, the local population around Sousse, all went to the beach with their picnic baskets, to break their fast.
    They packed the beach,it's a family ritual and seems to have been done in defiance of IS and fear.
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to see mourners laying their flowers at the scene in bikinis. Its like the mourning is an after thought and its the sunbathing that they have come to do.

Respect the dead, be suitably attired please.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    I hate to see mourners laying their flowers at the scene in bikinis. Its like the mourning is an after thought and its the sunbathing that they have come to do.

I do find photos like that a little tasteless, but I try and remember those people may well have been caught up in it or lost loved ones and remember what I think is of no relevance.
    Forum Member
    Yes the RAF have offered to bring home the deceased. I feel so desperately sad for anyone involved and for those who still haven't had confirmation, it must be torture. The Tunisians face a very uncertain future now. I also worry about Morocco, as the whole of Northern Africa is on the IS agenda.
    Latest from the Telegraph.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/tunisia/11701043/Tunisia-attack-shooting-gunman-tourists-victims-live.html

I still say they should of done something back in March unless people see an improvement in security they will not go back.

than its neighbours to high-impact attacks against foreign civilians.
    Neither Libya nor Algeria have mass tourism, and though Morocco does, it also has a pervasive security network and has been politically stable.
    Tunisia, by contrast, has a "big, soft underbelly", said Geoff Porter, the head of North Africa Risk Consulting.
    "I don't think Tunisia does have a disproportionately greater jihadi problem than Algeria or Morocco," he said. "What Tunisia has is a security problem.
    Over the last four years, Tunisian governments are seen to have vacillated between granting radical Islamists political space and cracking down on them - only taking the latter course more decisively after the assassination of Chokri Belaidin February 2013.
    A new Tunisian anti-terrorism law that would broaden police powers and provide for harsher penalties has been stuck in committees since the start of 2014.
    The attack in March on the Bardo Museum - next to the parliament building - focused attention on the bill, but shortly after it was redrafted, 13 non-governmental organisations called for it to be dropped or amended, saying it would violate international human rights standards and guarantees under the Tunisian constitution.
    The president of the Tunisian parliament now says it will be approved within the next month.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33320898

Forty-five minutes driving around Sousse and there was little sign of the increased security measures.
    Worryingly for local Tunisians there was also little sign of the tourists this country so relies on.
    At the medina locals took to the shade to watch very few holidaymakers walk past the old statues and walls of the bazaar.
    Sousse's beachfront "train" would not be out of place in Hastings or Blackpool - except for the fact it was empty.
    The loans to support the tourist industry are doubtless welcome but one wonders if they can sustain this resort for very long.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spoke to the agents about our holiday next week and by the sounds of it a majority of those booked to go are still going which is good. Our holiday is confirmed so we are off next week as planned.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

While i agree to a point, i doubt anyone went out there expecting to have to deal with something like that and because of that, beachwear may be all they took there. Also its 30 degrees there. For most of us thats pretty hot, in fact anything above about 20 around here and the place is awash with bare chested chavs.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll tell you what I want to know. Why has it taken SO long to identify all the dead people? Have they all been identified now?

I know they were on the beach with no ID and no one else knew them there as they were on holiday, but their passports are surely in their hotel rooms? And after a night or two the cleaning staff would be able to tell who had not returned to their rooms and were therefore probably in hospital.

Yet on Monday it was still unclear who exactly had died.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I still say they should of done something back in March unless people see an improvement in security they will not go back.

than its neighbours to high-impact attacks against foreign civilians.
    Neither Libya nor Algeria have mass tourism, and though Morocco does, it also has a pervasive security network and has been politically stable.
    Tunisia, by contrast, has a "big, soft underbelly", said Geoff Porter, the head of North Africa Risk Consulting.
    "I don't think Tunisia does have a disproportionately greater jihadi problem than Algeria or Morocco," he said. "What Tunisia has is a security problem.
    Over the last four years, Tunisian governments are seen to have vacillated between granting radical Islamists political space and cracking down on them - only taking the latter course more decisively after the assassination of Chokri Belaidin February 2013.
    A new Tunisian anti-terrorism law that would broaden police powers and provide for harsher penalties has been stuck in committees since the start of 2014.
    The attack in March on the Bardo Museum - next to the parliament building - focused attention on the bill, but shortly after it was redrafted, 13 non-governmental organisations called for it to be dropped or amended, saying it would violate international human rights standards and guarantees under the Tunisian constitution.
    The president of the Tunisian parliament now says it will be approved within the next month.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33320898

Forty-five minutes driving around Sousse and there was little sign of the increased security measures.
    Worryingly for local Tunisians there was also little sign of the tourists this country so relies on.
    At the medina locals took to the shade to watch very few holidaymakers walk past the old statues and walls of the bazaar.
    Sousse's beachfront "train" would not be out of place in Hastings or Blackpool - except for the fact it was empty.
    The loans to support the tourist industry are doubtless welcome but one wonders if they can sustain this resort for very long.
    That's an interesting article.

I think part of the problem from what I know of the Tunisians I know, is that they are very much for looking after each other,they would really find it hard to understand that any Tunisian could harm another,I think some proof of this is in the way they accpepted that a man who had just shot 40 defenceless people would not harm them, so much so that they were prepared to follow him closely and shout at him.
    I understood how they would have been able to do that.

I also know that when a Tunisian man was arrested for trafficking migrants across the Med. and effectively killed 900 of them, the depth of shame that was felt.They will probably feel that same, and far more so, over the actions of Reguiz.

When I was with my Tunisian friend in Paris, we came across a young Tunisian beggar on the streets.My friend spent 30 minutes,ripping him off a strip, because he was in Europe bringing shame to Tunisia,he was deeply ashamed of this poor sod, who must have wished he'd never clapped eyes on us...

All in all it will take a big shift in attitudes to convince them that they are as vulnerable as anyone to having their young men/women brainwashed.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Just spoke to the agents about our holiday next week and by the sounds of it a majority of those booked to go are still going which is good. Our holiday is confirmed so we are off next week as planned.

Hope you have a great time . :)
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    I'll tell you what I want to know. Why has it taken SO long to identify all the dead people? Have they all been identified now?

I know they were on the beach with no ID and no one else knew them there as they were on holiday, but their passports are surely in their hotel rooms? And after a night or two the cleaning staff would be able to tell who had not returned to their rooms and were therefore probably in hospital.

Because the Tunisian Authorities want to ensure they get things right, so they have insisted on medical identification - DNA, Medical Records, Dental Records etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another victim has been named, John Stollery , a social worker aged 58 from Nottinghamshire. He was there with his wife and son.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/tunisia/11701043/Tunisia-attack-shooting-Isil-linked-warning-live.html
    Mr Stollery worked for the local authority for the past 33 years, and for the past 16 years was dedicated to helping children in care.
    He was on holiday with his wife and son when he was killed.
    The county council's chief executive, Anthony May, said everyone at the authority was immensely saddened by the death of a much-loved and respected member of staff.
    Mr May said: "As a dedicated social worker, he had a passion to help others that was apparent to everyone that he met.
    "Our thoughts are with John's family and all those affected by this terrible tragedy, including others from Nottinghamshire.
    "John will be missed greatly."

An armed group in Tunisia which has claimed allegiance to Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) tweeted a warning last month to British and western tourists not to go there for their summer holidays, writes our Middle East Editor Richard Spencer:
    It said the warning was aimed at countries taking part in the coalition against Isil in Iraq and Syria.
    “To the Christians planning their summer vacations in Tunisia, we cant accept u in our land while your jets keep killing our Muslim Brothers in Iraq & Sham (sic),” it said. Sham is the word usually translated as “the Levant”.
    “But if u insist on coming then beware because we are planning for u something that will make you forget #Bardoattack
    Forum Member

I agree Most women take little slip ons to walk through the hotel going to and coming of the beach I do. Also the pictures on bodies on the beach covered with towel I thought that was so Wrong as people did not know at that time if family or friends were alive or dead
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree Most women take little slip ons to walk through the hotel going to and coming of the beach I do. Also the pictures on bodies on the beach covered with towel I thought that was so Wrong as people did not know at that time if family or friends were alive or dead

No-one sealed off the area to the public and of course most people have a phone.
    I came across a horrible video yesterday which I wouldn't link.
    It was taken inside the second hotel and the indoor pool. I have no idea who did it or how they could access the area, unless they were staff. They are peoples relatives and it shouldn't be allowed.
    Forum Member
    Another victim has been named, John Stollery , a social worker aged 58 from Nottinghamshire. He was there with his wife and son.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/tunisia/11701043/Tunisia-attack-shooting-Isil-linked-warning-live.html

That second quote is scary so much should've been done.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member

The people who were killed were on holiday. It would seem obvious they would the survivors to carry on as normal as possible.

I don't see any problems in laying flowers in shorts or a bikini as it's the thought that counts and not the clothes being worn when leaving a message.

Respect is shown by defying the people who want to cause fear.
    Forum Member
    No-one sealed off the area to the public and of course most people have a phone.
    It was taken inside the second hotel and the indoor pool. I have no idea who did it or how they could access the area, unless they were staff. They are peoples relatives and it shouldn't be allowed.

Why oh why do people do this makes me sad.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

Why oh why do people do this makes me sad.

I'm afraid it's the way of the world now. Everyone is on phones all the time now .... You never see a group of teenagers just walking, they're all talking or texting. Go to a meeting or social gathering and people are texting.

Same as the people taking selfies on the beach in Tunisia. It's wrong but it's "normalised" to many people.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One of the first videos showed bodies on the beach and one was partially covered with a towel. It was of a young, blond man. Going by media pictures it looks very like one of the British victims. I hope his mother wasnt watching.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

Several of the victims were apparently shot in the head which would obviously make identification a lot more difficult. The authorities can't just assume a body is a particular person so like duckymallard said above, they are using DNA and dental records etc to confirm the identity some of the victims.

On the day it happened, there was an uncensored photo of one of the victims, lying face down in the sand. It was a man, and a hat I assume he had been wearing was on the sand near his head. There was another body next to him, which had been covered. Another photo taken from a slightly different angle showed the 2nd body was a woman, and her swimming costume was visible. When I saw those photos I did think how awful for their family/ies if they see them, because I'm sure their loved ones would have recognised the man.

I know the video you mean, I saw it at the weekend. Pretty shocking that someone was able to walk around that area and film it. I know the bodies were covered but I think one of them could possibly be identified by those who knew him, because he hadn't been covered properly, presumably because of the position he was in. The day after I saw that video I saw a news report that had been filmed in that same area, and I couldn't believe how quickly they had got it all clean.