Options

Athletics 2015

Comments

• Options
    GavitarGavitar Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the Diamond League has been a bit ho-hum so far this year but it certainly burst into life tonight. Can't remember a DL meet where there were so many ARs, NRs & PBs.
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    European record for Vicaut! British sprinters exploding like balloons!

Gemili certainly exploded following his first legal sub-10s run. We the level of sprinting we've seen this year, I don't think selectors should bother with the likes of Kilty for the Worlds.

PS: I don't believe Kilty's excuse for not taking part in this weekend's Brits Champs.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wayde van Niekerk clocks an AR of 43.96 in the 400m!! :o

He was good last year. Even better now. And a sexy bitch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a run by Vicaut though. I had to do a double-take to make sure it was really him who finished behind Powell!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing meeting in Paris. Dibaba and Ayana seemed to completely ignore each other after race. Dont think They Even looked at each other. Dibaba Tried, but Ayana just walked past her.

The WR would have been possible with better Pace settes and better effort from Dibaba...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powell wins with 9.81 SB, Vicaut equals 9.86 AR!

Equal with whom? Christie?
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obikwelu (when he almost pipped Gatlin to the 2004 Olympic title). Christie's NR is 9.87.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obikwelu (when he almost pipped Gatlin to the 2004 Olympic title). Christie's NR is 9.87.

Oh Cool. So in a way vicaut is the real ER. Obikwelu was nigerian yes? Before turning portuguese?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Oh Cool. So in a way vicaut is the real ER. Obikwelu was nigerian yes? Before turning portuguese?

No he is not. Obikwelu ran that time while representing Portugal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    No he is not. Obikwelu ran that time while representing Portugal.

True. I can look at it in a different way though :)

Tbf obikwelu lived in Portugal for Quite a While unlike some africans who got new citizenship in days for Bahrain or Qatar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. I can look at it in a different way though :)

Tbf obikwelu lived in Portugal for Quite a While unlike some africans who got new citizenship in days for Bahrain or Qatar.

People complain about the Africans. What about the likes of Aaron Cook now competing for Moldova in Taekwondo? Looks like athletes can do what they like in other sports apart from black athletes in athletics. It's the black athletes in Britain who are pulled up for being "plastic". Pah!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In table tennis you Also have chinese people competing for loads of different countries...

In handball we had this finnish player on the Norwegian team some years ago. Finland Didnt have a handball team so it was her only chance to compete in big championships. Still some controversy here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.vg.no/sport/jaysuma-ndure-tiltalt-for-vold/a/23483083/

In Norwegian but..
    Norwegian sprinter accused of violence against ex-gf. Denies everything of course...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.vg.no/sport/jaysuma-ndure-tiltalt-for-vold/a/23483083/

In Norwegian but..
    Norwegian sprinter accused of violence against ex-gf. Denies everything of course...

Your choice to link the above story doesn't surprise me........
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wonder if he has been labelled a 'Plastic Portuguese'

My objection to Obikwelu is that if you read some of the stuff on Operation Puerto there are a lot of hints that he was one of Fuentes Clients. >:(
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing meeting in Paris. Dibaba and Ayana seemed to completely ignore each other after race. Dont think They Even looked at each other. Dibaba Tried, but Ayana just walked past her.

The WR would have been possible with better Pace settes and better effort from Dibaba...

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. They must have some history. :o

The commentator (not Stuart Storey) made a right balls up of the final lap saying Ayana had been overtaken for second place when it was she who was lapping another runner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    European record for Vicaut! British sprinters exploding like balloons!

I like Vicaut but he's more fragile than Dasaolu. Hope he stays in 1 piece for Beijing.

He & the rest of the French relay picked up their bronze medals from London 3 years late :cry:earlier too so a good night for him overall.

Definitely the best DL so far. Had it all really in shock losses for King Kirani; Renaud; Barshim & Queen Val though perhaps in hindsight after shoulder surgery it was too much to expect Val to pick up where she left off straight away. Breakthrough performances & wins for the likes of Van Niekerk & Ortega and just sheer class from Shelly-Ann & Dibaba. Heartbreak for Jager but a great return to form for Hejnova.

The BBC coverage isn't perfect but Crammy & Cotter really are head & shoulders above the other commentators. Hutchings is insufferable and Stuart Storey is woeful now and needs to be put in the same deep freeze as Paul Dickenson. His pronunciation of names across the board is awful & embarassing.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    One things for sure! Gatlin may not have things his own way in the 100m in Beijing. Poor start and he may not catch the others (assuming a Bolt no show).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daily Mail no doubt thrilled at the result of the 100m hurdles. Well done to Tiff & Cindy and good signs from Jess too, sub 13 looks to be on the cards and she's continuing to move in the right direction. Expected win for Zharnel Hughes but really he had no competition in Adam's absence. Have to say the women's 200m was very meh with so many of our sprinters missing or in Bianca's case off form. At least the women's 100m tomorrow includes Dina & Asha who are in great form and also a returning Desiree Henry

Mixed Bag in the field. Great result for Isobel Pooley in the High Jump, she's really improved a lot in the last year or so. Another qualifying mark for Holly Bradshaw in winning the Pole Vault. Good to see both Julian Reid & Nathan Douglas jump over the qualifying mark in the Triple jump as the event has been in the doldrums the last couple of years. Talking of events in the doldrums the standards in the javelin now are awful. I suspect Steve Backley & Mick Hill could come out of retirement and win it's that bad. On a positive note though great to see another consistent performance from Nick Miller in the Hammer.
  • Options
    GavitarGavitar Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lap splits for the women's 5k in Paris - http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/display-article?arId=114637

Neither Dibaba or Ayana liked how the other was running the race ... “The pace of Ayana was too fast for me,” said Dibaba. “That is why I went to my race. I knew there was an agreement before but I could not follow that pace. When it was clear there was no world record I concentrated on my win.”

Ayana saw things differently. “I’m disappointed because the agreement was not kept,” she said. “I did more laps than my rival, especially after 2k. Next time I will run different.” (http://www.iaaf.org/news/report/dibaba-lavillenie-paris)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavitar wrote: »
    Lap splits for the women's 5k in Paris - http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/display-article?arId=114637

Neither Dibaba or Ayana liked how the other was running the race ... “The pace of Ayana was too fast for me,” said Dibaba. “That is why I went to my race. I knew there was an agreement before but I could not follow that pace. When it was clear there was no world record I concentrated on my win.”

Ayana saw things differently. “I’m disappointed because the agreement was not kept,” she said. “I did more laps than my rival, especially after 2k. Next time I will run different.” (http://www.iaaf.org/news/report/dibaba-lavillenie-paris)

Ayana had a 64 lap, then a few rounds after Dibaba had a 73 lap. Of cousre there can be no WR this way, but all in all, they still came pretty close, and a new WR should be made this season.
    Either if they learn how to cooperate or Ayana must do it herself. And they need better pace setters. They sucked last night.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Gavitar wrote: »
    10.74! Shelly-Ann still the one to beat in Beijing?

Schippers came fourth and thought she raced ok (nothing more), but she knows that many of the girls are already in good form.

Furthermore, she crashed pretty hard after the finish (not for the very faint hearted):

https://twitter.com/dafneschippers/status/617443734242885632
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schippers came fourth and thought she raced ok (nothing more), but she knows that many of the girls are already in good form.

Furthermore, she crashed pretty hard after the finish (not for the very faint hearted):

https://twitter.com/dafneschippers/status/617443734242885632

Schippers can possibly make the 100 Final but not much more.

200 might be a possibility for a medal?
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirani James and Valerie Adams are the most classy athletes in the sport right now. James for always acknowledging his competitors and just being an all round lovely guy and Adams for putting going out and competing before her impressive winning streak.

Controversial but I'd like to see Powell take the 100m Gold this year if Bolt is a no show. I'd like to see it all come together at the right time for him after so many disappointments including his (in my opinion) irrelevant ban. He's nearly at 100 sub 10 runs (Bolt at 44, Gatlin at 41).

The way Ayana didn't acknowledge Dibaba after the race was bizarre as a viewer but maybe not so bizarre for them. It clearly wasn't an accident.

Eunice Sum with the fastest 800m run in two years - all I wonder is where are Francine Niyonsaba and Pamela Jelimo?

And did anyone come across the story that Felix may well be attempting the 200/400 double in Beijing? Her coach has said he doesn't think it's that hard. She failed in Daegu running the 400 on August 27, 28, 29 and 200 on September 1 and 2. This year I think the 200 semifinal is on the same day as the 400 final.
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    PS: I don't believe Kilty's excuse for not taking part in this weekend's Brits Champs.

Why not? What do you think the real reason is?
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schippers can possibly make the 100 Final but not much more.

200 might be a possibility for a medal?

It's Schippers vs Felix over 200 in Lausanne this week. We should know a little more then. I'd like to see someone like Ahoure and Okagbare in the race too so we can get an even better picture.