Options

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
Forum Member
So anyone else getting it?

Amazon posted my copy the other day, so hopefully it will turn up today.

I thought the demo was good fun and am actually looking forward to playing this. Carbon was the last NFS that I bought and it so throughly put me off that I didn't go near either of the next two games.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got it yesturday
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does the car handle?
    I felt the demo cars were a bit 'clunky'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Bought it from Morrisons earlier, not had the chance to play it yet though. The demo was promising, and well...it's Criterion, so it's bound to be good :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    wanting to use by £5 off Currys/PCW voucher but none of the stores around here have it in :(
  • Options
    tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    This game looks really fun, but I'll probably wait until Christmas to get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Finally had a chance to play it. It's good, very good infact. It feels a hell of a lot like Burnout 3 to me. And it is very pretty to look at.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got it yesterday and have stuck in about 4hrs already and think its rather cool...

i love driving games and have had nearly all the NFS games, and i think this is the best one they have done for a while...
    driving round and round just racing can get boring, but adding the escaping/chasing element into it makes it quite fun...

It could have been called 'chase hq 2010'....
    (i loved chase hq btw which is prob why i like it....)

the cut scenes when you have a head on or write off a racer are awesome....
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the reviews this game has had and from what ive read about it its just shame Turismo 5 is out days after it or i would of got it. sounds like they have this series back on track.
  • Options
    TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like in Burnout Paradise, they get really annoying when your in a race, they really can cost you your place while they play those damn crashes each and every ****ing time!
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    i like it, although i miss the cheesy cut scenes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TracerTong wrote: »
    Just like in Burnout Paradise, they get really annoying when your in a race, they really can cost you your place while they play those damn crashes each and every ****ing time!

To be fair, the game does seem to keep you on course during those crash scenes, even if you're going around a sharp bend. I've never had to restart or anything because of the crash cam.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    To be fair, the game does seem to keep you on course during those crash scenes, even if you're going around a sharp bend. I've never had to restart or anything because of the crash cam.

Yeah same here, its hasnt caused me to crash so far...
    although it has returned and left me having to take drastic action to avoid a head-on a few times...
  • Options
    156418156418 Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've managed to fall through the road following a crash.

It seems a little "lost" this game when you are playing, just race/map/race/map. There's something not right about the handling of the cars either - I suspect its something do with the drifting they've shoehorned into the corners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    156418 wrote: »
    I've managed to fall through the road following a crash.

It seems a little "lost" this game when you are playing, just race/map/race/map. There's something not right about the handling of the cars either - I suspect its something do with the drifting they've shoehorned into the corners.

I take it you're more of a NFS player than a Burnout player? Hot Pursuit is pretty much Burnout Paradise 2 but with an added police career. The handling (on the nicer cars) and emphasis on drifting is almost identical to Paradise.

NFS lost me once it went all "chavified" with the Underground games, this is the first one i've played beyond the demo since Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2.

Why they didn't just let Criterion release it under the Burnout name is beyond me, because that's exactly what it is. I'd imagine that NFS fans will be disappointed with it, which is probably why they tacked the unskippable Shift 2 trailer onto the start of the game when you first play it.

If you like Burnout though, it's sublime. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, I'm an NFS player since NFS2 through to Most Wanted then Undercover (I didn't like Carbon, and didn't bother with Pro Street or Shift). I'm even happy to admit that I liked Undercover - it was great cheesy high speed fun.

I never really got into Burnout - I cant help think of Outrun when the silly over the top drifting is going on!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could have been called 'chase hq 2010'....
    (i loved chase hq btw which is prob why i like it....)

Chase HQ, now that's some happy memories :cool:

Up to 21 hours and counting, loving every minute, I usually despise time trial events, but weaving between traffic on the freeway touching 212mph in the Audi R8 with the 2nd siren noise blaring out the speakers has won me over :D

The cut scenes have a strange - and useful - side effect, take someone out with a spike strip a millisecond before you're going to plough into a road block and after the cut-scene you'll have magically appeared the other side of it!! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The demo put me off this game the car handling was terrible~ it felt too clunk and heavy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The demo put me off this game the car handling was terrible~ it felt too clunk and heavy.

That's because the demo cars were the basic "crap" cars, once you start unlocking better cars (i.e lighter and faster models) the handling improves.
  • Options
    da_sizda_siz Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's because the demo cars were the basic "crap" cars, once you start unlocking better cars (i.e lighter and faster models) the handling improves.

Bought this game yesterday (was gonna wait till christmas but gave in). Think its a fantastic game, so exciting!

Completely agree with you on the quote. Once you drive the Zonda it all feels fine!

Haven't really got any friends on my list so if anyone wants to compare times\play online send me an invite...

My PSN id is da_siz
    Quote need for speed\DS in the request
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to play "what if..." with this one

Can people answer, if this Need for Speed had been created by Black Box, no Criteron involvement and no Burnout heritage etc associated with it, but the game was exactly as it is now, would they still like it and have bought it?
  • Options
    heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can people answer, if this Need for Speed had been created by Black Box, no Criteron involvement and no Burnout heritage etc associated with it, but the game was exactly as it is now, would they still like it and have bought it?

Great point.

I love Burnout Paradise and had high expectations for this.

However, having only played the two demo levels was left feeling disappointed.

Perhaps I just need to give it more of a chance, but my gut feeling with Demo's is usually right.

For now I am not buying, but won't complain if it turns up as a Christmas present :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's a bit of a redundant question really seeing as if Criterion hadn't made it then it wouldn't have played like this. If Black Box had made it then i imagine it would play like one of their games.

The game is unmistakably a Criterion game, as i've said before it's essentially Burnout Paradise 2, and i urge any Burnout fans that were put off by the demo to give the full game a try, it really is fantastic (and if the only thing putting you off is the handling in the demo then i assure you that it improves with each new/better car you unlock, drifting around corners in some of the "Super" cars is joyful!).

And honestly, no i wouldn't have been even remotely interested in the game were it not for Criterion. I've pretty much hated every NFS game since Underground went all "chavvy boy racer" on us, although i'll admit that Shift looked decent, but a bit too "Forza-lite". After being underwhelmed with the demo i bought the game purely on the strength of the fact that Criterion developed it and i didn't think they'd turn out a bad game, it's safe to say that i'm definitely glad i took the risk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Sounds like its about time for a second demo! The demo definitely put me off. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't fun. Compare it to the Burnout Paradise demo for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I am dissappointed with NFS:HP.

Yeah, the racing, intercepting, etc. can be fun, but the restrictions of the closed track system did not work for me in Shift and continue not to work for me in NFS:HP and after a while, even after levelling up, they become monotonous.

From the lack of any customisation options to the completely pointless openworld free-roam mode and add to boot EAs complete cockup (in my case) by restricting online access including the coded DLC of the bought and paid for 'Limited Edition' to that of accounts with a DOB greater than 13 years old (I'm 38 by the way) and NFS:HP was a major fail IMHO.

Maybe if I can get MS or EA to sort my account out, the Multiplayer aspects may open an avenue of appreciation for the game - but I'm not holding my breath for either company doing the right thing.
  • Options
    tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    I got this game for Christmas and I've played it a bit; it's fun and I like the autolog feature, beating people's times is a lot of fun. It does seem a little bit content-lacking, especially because Burnout Paradise was full of collectible boards and shortcuts etc, and online free-roam with challenges based on the number of players.

Guess I should just play Burnout for that...