Options

Stella (sky One)

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoc2909 wrote: »
    Have just read that Sky have not comissioned a second series due to poor ratings. Does anyone know if this is the case?

It's doing very well in the ratings and has been recommissioned for ten more episodes in 2013.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoc2909 wrote: »
    Have just read that Sky have not comissioned a second series due to poor ratings. Does anyone know if this is the case?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a364724/stella-the-cafe-renewed-for-second-series-by-sky1.html

Where have you read to the contrary?
  • Options
    Sesay2000Sesay2000 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kalispera wrote: »
    The reason you don't recognise the Funeral Directors is because it is in Caerphilly. Llanbradach to be precise - stick Frwd Terrace Llanbradach in Google Maps and you should recognise it. If it doesn't do your head in too much obviously ... :rolleyes:
    Here's the shop they used for the Funeral Directors:

http://g.co/maps/gqb8b

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sooo..nobody commented on last night's eppy featuring Joe Calzaghe....

and also Luke's dad turning up, he's a bit of alright.

Am really enjoying this series - so easy to watch and relaxing
  • Options
    tallulahulatallulahula Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Ao angry to be missing this (currently in the US) I do hope it gets repeated soon.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sesay2000 wrote: »

Ahh, so that is what they were filming a year or so ago, I used to live in 'The Brad' and now and again they would close off the road to accommodate lighting rigs etc outside that shop. I quite like this series and trying to spot places I know! Luke's dad was also in Baker Boys which was another series I liked.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barkingmad wrote: »

Great episode. The return of Luke's Dad had been pretty much flagged from the first 5 minutes in episode one, but I thought his 'reunion' with Stella was well done. The passing of time can play havoc with emotions.

So many characters in this drama make me smile and think 'I know someone exactly like that' :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barkingmad wrote: »

I didn't like the Joe Calzaghe bit. He's a nice bloke etc but it all seemed a bit "how many of my famous friends can I cram into my new TV series" to me.

That aside I thought the storyline moved along well and I liked the way the "reunion" was handled. Karl is such a tit but I can't help liking him.

And the best line for me so far was Bobby's when demonstrating the cremation options on that model "I don't think you do get no closure with a curtain..." :D
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stebates wrote: »
    . The rugby field (with VIP area) is where I leaned to play the game.

The pitch where the boys' played their rugby match was Trefil RFC's pitch. My fiance is their hooker and he and their coach built the shelters Alan turned into his VIP area :D
  • Options
    zippy00zippy00 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I was searching for chickens yesterday and it looks like they used this farm for the mountain scenes.

http://blackrocklayers.co.uk/FilmandTelevision.aspx

Good news there will be another series. I'm hoping Baker boys gets a third series now too as really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Sky_TechSky_Tech Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Any one have the subtitles on?

I'm sure Luke mentioned "Heads of the Valleys" twice as to his location but subtitles said" Edge of the Valleys"?
  • Options
    dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all the new comedy shows from Sky Stella is the best
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Shute wrote: »
    I didn't like the Joe Calzaghe bit. He's a nice bloke etc but it all seemed a bit "how many of my famous friends can I cram into my new TV series" to me.

That aside I thought the storyline moved along well and I liked the way the "reunion" was handled. Karl is such a tit but I can't help liking him.

And the best line for me so far was Bobby's when demonstrating the cremation options on that model "I don't think you do get no closure with a curtain..." :D

I think Bobby gets some of the best lines, 'these haven't been hit over the head with the ugly stick, they've been bludgeoned with it'
  • Options
    tushinghamtushingham Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of sexual tension in the air when Luke's dad appeared.
    Ooo-er . . .;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Tech wrote: »
    Any one have the subtitles on?

I'm sure Luke mentioned "Heads of the Valleys" twice as to his location but subtitles said" Edge of the Valleys"?

Subtitles are rubbish - I've seen them write "the Arch bitch of Canterbury"!

And yes, it's the heads of the valleys.
  • Options
    walaboobahwalaboobah Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The horse in the house is based on a real incident.

A family living in the Penllwyn, Pontllanfraith actually did keep a horse inside the house and I was in school with one of them!

Ruth Jones refers to this, although not the location in an interview - she says that a friend of hers was a GP who visited as house in the valleys and they had a horse in the house.

They also kept chickens under the table with wire netting keeping them in which they nicked from the local pub but that's another story entirley! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just to add to the location spotting the "Lamb & Flag" in the Keckers/Tablo (Tableau?:confused:) episode is actually the Brunel Arms in Pontyclun - right opposite the railway station. Mystery of the massive film truck I was cursing for hogging all the parking spaces at the station last summer finally solved.:D

Another one, the hotel where Rob was staying was Bryn Meadows Golf and Country Club - http://www.brynmeadows.co.uk/bryn-meadows-golf-hotel-spa

The scene where Rob was eating his breakfast was filmed in the Conservatory overlooking the 18th hole and when Luke drove to see Rob I recognised the outside too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With high hopes I was trying to say that Boyd Clack captures the valleys humour better than Ruth Jones. Boyd's characters are way out there anyway but Ruth's characters are meant to be NORMAL valleys people. And that where it doesn't work in MY opinion, just comes off very insulting and stereotyped. And no we don't COCKING keep ponys in our houses. When is the next series of Gavin and Stacey?;)
    You may don't but I know of someone who did, see post above
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a photo of Karen Paullada who plays Nadine, at The Brits tonight.

https://twitter.com/#!/stuartmurphy100/status/172042232608727040/photo/1

Wouldn't recognise her without the make-up.
  • Options
    arkark Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up from last episode - they had better not let Stella get back with ex - loving the stella-sean relationship and how everyone just accepts it!
  • Options
    kalisperakalispera Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Sesay2000 wrote: »

Yep that's it. The Chapel next door was where my parents met! :D What a claim to fame, eh?
  • Options
    kalisperakalispera Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    walaboobah wrote: »

Another one, the hotel where Rob was staying was Bryn Meadows Golf and Country Club - http://www.brynmeadows.co.uk/bryn-meadows-golf-hotel-spa

The scene where Rob was eating his breakfast was filmed in the Conservatory overlooking the 18th hole and when Luke drove to see Rob I recognised the outside too

I knew it!! It was driving me mad trying to see the view out of the window, but I couldn't quite see as it was too out of focus to recognise anything, so I'm glad someone else spotted it too. The views from that restaurant are awesome considering it's not that high up. It's like you're looking straight up each of the valleys like a long corridor - sorry, I'm not explaining this very well but trust me it's amazing! lol.

I don't really see the attraction with Sean - he just looks a bit unkempt to me. Looking forward to Stella sorting things out with Rob. If things had ended naturally between them it would be different but it strikes me there was a lot of interfering going on behind the scenes which kept them apart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella is a great show i think. It's easy to watch, funny, heart-warming... Ruth Jones is very talented, and i also really like the actress who plays her pregnant daughter, she is very good. And also the woman with Stella's ex is great.

Overall a really enjoyable programme i think :)
  • Options
    Maysie07Maysie07 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    JUST a little note, they girl who plays the daughter is superb, the birth scene was emotional and funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite surprised that this series isn't creating more of a stir on here. It is really good, very involving, and I look forward to every episode on a Friday night. The 10 episode format has given the writers and perfomers time to develop the characters. The episode where Rob came to Luke's birthday party was brilliant drama,really gripping.Thoroughly enjoyable comedy drama, I am already looking forward to the second series and if you haven't been able to watch this yet please do as I am sure Sky will repeat it.
    By far the best thing Ruth Jones has ever done.