Options

LBC 97.3 Politics Thread

Comments

• Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    One could argue that, Martin, but I think one would be wrong on this occasion :p

To be fair, and I hope with no disrespect, when it comes to disability and social care, I believe I simply know a lot more than you do on the subject and on what's happening on the ground.

To choose not to listen to that is beyond my comprehension, unless someone simply doesn't care.

I'd also say that it's a very spurious argument you make. There's no need for flame wars and it comes over to me as just an excuse not to engage further. As I almost certainly know a lot better than you on this subject, perhaps you could tell me why you'd choose not to hear that?

I do hear what you are saying, and as you are obviously in the health-care profession I cannot argue with your knowledge.

My comments were based on my experience. I may only been aware of the 'lucky' ones.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I do hear what you are saying, and as you are obviously in the health-care profession I cannot argue with your knowledge.

My comments were based on my experience. I may only been aware of the 'lucky' ones.

Thanks Martin. I appreciate the response.

It's such a mess out there, but the generalised media (inc LBC) response has been to largely ignore it, or worse, to buy into the govt's propaganda that everything's just fine really, which only serves to further demonise disabled people and those that work in the sector.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Just saw this thread. Do we still use it? :confused:
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw this thread. Do we still use it? :confused:

Only when someone posts something there ;-)
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only when someone posts something there ;-)

Left wing V Right wing discussions, apropos the Presenters etc, are often to be found in the main thread ;-) :D
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Left wing V Right wing discussions, apropos the Presenters etc, are often to be found in the main thread ;-) :D

I think you've said it yourself - 'apropos the presenters'. Presenters' attitudes are relevant to LBC. Keep it short is also popular! If you check back on this thread (eg page 29) you can see how it got out of hand when posts went way off topic on the Chitchat thread. Political discussions evolved into long diatribes which had nothing to do with LBC or its shows/presenters. On this thread they could witter on to their hearts' content.
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you've said it yourself - 'apropos the presenters'. Presenters' attitudes are relevant to LBC. Keep it short is also popular! If you check back on this thread (eg page 29) you can see how it got out of hand when posts went way off topic on the Chitchat thread. Political discussions evolved into long diatribes which had nothing to do with LBC or its shows/presenters. On this thread they could witter on to their hearts' content.

Tis true.....'they could' - but 'they don't.' ;-)
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hypocrisy and flip flopping of the lefties never fails to amuse. Criticise one presenter for his presenting style (who happens not to share their politics) but excuse another whose style is the same (but does share their politics)
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell the Germans have rang the dinner bell and they are coming, looking at C4 news last night so many well fed healthy young men with designer clothes and cigarettes jumping fences and disrespecting the law. :confused:

They are not willing to fight for their own country so don't expect any loyalty from them Germany, Muslims saved by Christian infidels you couldn't make it up.

I reckon Merkel must be on a WII guilt trip.:)

https://simonbriscoeblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/germanys-declining-population-and-migrants/
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Accept more asylum seekers.

There is a global refugee crisis. The UK is not offering proportional asylum in comparison with European counterparts. We can't allow refugees who have risked their lives to escape horrendous conflict and violence to be left living in dire, unsafe and inhumane conditions in Europe. We must help.

Sign: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105991
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    tahiti wrote: »

There is a global refugee crisis. The UK is not offering proportional asylum in comparison with European counterparts. We can't allow refugees who have risked their lives to escape horrendous conflict and violence to be left living in dire, unsafe and inhumane conditions in Europe. We must help.

Signed. :)
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    tahiti wrote: »

clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Me too.

Hope you two feel better for it. Pat yourselves and each other on the back there. Were you the ones ringing Petrie yesterday to say you'd throw your door open to a family of asylum seekers to live in your back bedrooms?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Hope you two feel better for it. Pat yourselves and each other on the back there. Were you the ones ringing Petrie yesterday to say you'd throw your door open to a family of asylum seekers to live in your back bedrooms?

No, but I prefer my taxes to go to support refugees than to pay for the bombing raids that contributed to the creation of the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, but I prefer my taxes to go to support refugees than to pay for the bombing raids that contributed to the creation of the problem.

Well we've got the Labour fovernment to thank for starring all that off haven't we. Well done!

The business about the father of the dead child is all very odd. He's been offered ILR in Canada but has chosen to go back to Syria.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think you will have much choice where your taxes go if Parliament votes to extend bombing raids, already in Iraq, into Syria to try to destroy Islamic State.Surely that would be a good thing to use your taxes taxes on ? Unless you can get the tax office to opt you out ?

I heard an interview with Yvette Cooper by Stig Abell this morning in which she was asked whether should be willing to take in a refugee into her home and her reply came over as very non committal and refused to say that she would.Personally I think it is essential that politicians, journalists, presenters,LBC callers, DS forum members in favour, lead by example, stand up for what they believe in and let refugees into their own homes and I am sure others will follow,instead of just signing petitions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think you will have much choice where your taxes go if Parliament votes to extend bombing raids, already in Iraq, into Syria to try to destroy Islamic State.Surely that would be a good thing to use your taxes taxes on ? Unless you can get the tax office to opt you out ?

I heard an interview with Yvette Cooper by Stig Abell this morning in which she was asked whether should be willing to take in a refugee into her home and her reply came over as very non committal and refused to say that she would.Personally I think it is essential that politicians, journalists, presenters,LBC callers, DS forum members in favour, lead by example, stand up for what they believe in and let refugees into their own homes and I am sure others will follow.

I think you'll find that the people who were ringing LBC yesterday to say how they'd like to offer their spare bedroom to a refugee family would quietly fade into the background if the chance to do that actually became a reality. Im sure they got some sort of smug satisfaction from saying it, maybe some of them even thought they meant it at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we've got the Labour fovernment to thank for starring all that off haven't we. Well done!

The business about the father of the dead child is all very odd. He's been offered ILR in Canada but has chosen to go back to Syria.

The Iraq war was a hideous mistake and lead to many problems in the Middle East but the current crisis is down to David Cameron. His military action to overthrow Gaddafi, and leave Libya in a state of anarchy, allowed ISIS to gain a foothold in the region which ultimately lead to millions of refugees leaving the area.

Either way, Britain has been responsible, at least in part, for creating the problem so we have a moral responsibility to help the refugees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I heard an interview with Yvette Cooper by Stig Abell this morning in which she was asked whether should be willing to take in a refugee into her home and her reply came over as very non committal and refused to say that she would.Personally I think it is essential that politicians, journalists, presenters,LBC callers, DS forum members in favour, lead by example, stand up for what they believe in and let refugees into their own homes and I am sure others will follow,instead of just signing petitions.

You seem to think air raids on Syria is a good thing. Are you personally prepared to go over there and drop the bombs yourself?

We are a society and should solve problems as a society and not have to rely on the charity of a few individuals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find that the people who were ringing LBC yesterday to say how they'd like to offer their spare bedroom to a refugee family would quietly fade into the background if the chance to do that actually became a reality. Im sure they got some sort of smug satisfaction from saying it, maybe some of them even thought they meant it at the time.

Do you remember the Vietnamese boat people and the hundreds of ordinary British families that took in refugees from that counties? I don't doubt that many people would be prepared to do the same this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was watching Iain Dale on the Sky News press review the other night and he said he would be willing to take in a refugee into his own home.I think this situation should be monitored very carefully to prove these aren't just the usual idle words.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember the Vietnamese boat people and the hundreds of ordinary British families that took in refugees from that counties? I don't doubt that many people would be prepared to do the same this time.

Did you take in a Vietnamese boat person or did you opt out ?

Can you tell us if you are putting your name forward to accept a family of refugees into your home ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are a society and should solve problems as a society and not have to rely on the charity of a few individuals.

Don't tell me you are passing the buck on a family of refugees coming into your home ?

If you can't even lead by example and have the courage of your convictions, then it is impossible to take your statements seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you take in a Vietnamese boat person or did you opt out ?

Can you tell us if you are putting your name forward to accept a family of refugees into your home ?

I was in junior school at the time so I wasn't in a positron to help a Vietnamese family directly.

I won't be taking on a refugee personally because we shouldn't have to rely on charity to solve problems that our country helped create. Just like we shouldn't have to rely on volunteers to go to the Middle East to drop bombs on the region.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Britain was a very different country 30 years ago. I'm afraid after years of being a soft touch for anyone wanting to come and take advantage of our golden paved streets attitudes are likely to have changed.
This discussion has been closed.