Dora Bryan dies aged 91

lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
Forum Member
British stage and screen legend Dora Bryan has sadly died aged 91. A true star. RIP :(

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/dora-bryan-dead-last-summer-3901793

Comments

• LoriseLorise Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    British stage and screen legend Dora Bryan has sadly died aged 91. A true star. RIP :(

Could never get into Last of the summer wine, so never saw her in that, but did love her in the films I saw her in, she always made me laugh.
    Sad to hear of her passing, a good age to get too, thoughts with her family and friends R.I.P Dora
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grand age to get to.
    A star in her time :)
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A British comedy legend. I've lost count of the number of films from the 1950s and 1960s she popped up in. She was a delightful actress.

It was great to see her in Last of the Summer Wine and Absolutely Fabulous in recent years too. She hadn't been well for some time.

RIP Dora. xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Met her once. Not right in her head. Mind you, she had a lot of demons to contend with and she beat them in the end. A fine actress and a great comedian. RIP Dora.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    God bless her- 91 is a fabulous age!

I was watching Ab Fab's The Last Shout today (in which she guests as a maniacal, sun seeking pensioner) and was wondering how she was doing. Third time in the past year I've thought about someone only for them to die later the same day (my apologies to Lou Reed and Shirley Temple)

She was a fab comic actress with a tremendous body of work.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    God bless her- 91 is a fabulous age!

I was watching Ab Fab's The Last Shout today (in which she guests as a maniacal, sun seeking pensioner) and was wondering how she was doing. Third time in the past year I've thought about someone only for them to die later the same day (my apologies to Lou Reed and Shirley Temple)

She was a fab comic actress with a tremendous body of work.

Same here! I was reading up about her on Saturday, it's happened to me quite a few times sadly :(

I loved Dora's cameo in dinnerladies as Jean's (Anne Reid's) mother. 'Oh come on Jean put some elbow grease into it, the same as sex!' :D

91 is a marvellous age and she leaves behind a fantastic body of film and television roles.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Same here! I was reading up about her on Saturday, it's happened to me quite a few times sadly :(

I loved Dora's cameo in dinnerladies as Jean's (Anne Reid's) mother. 'Oh come on Jean put some elbow grease into it, the same as sex!' :D

91 is a marvellous age and she leaves behind a fantastic body of film and television roles.

"You can be bare arsed in seconds!"

She was brilliant in Dinnerladies. She's also one of the last parents in that episodes to pass away- Eric Sykes, Thora Hird and Elspet Gray (who played Phillipa's mum) have all already died.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,165
    Forum Member
    So sad, another link to my childhood gone, she seemed to in just about every other film that I saw in the 1940's.

RIP Dora, and thanks for the happy memories.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Dora Bryan in 'A Taste Of Honey' which she played the selfish & neglectful mother of Jo - a wonderful performance.

More recently I also saw Dora playing a bit part in 'The Fallen Idol' based on a story by Graham Greene. I think she acted as a prostitute/a Good-Time Dolly in a scene set in a police station in that film.

Ms Bryan's acting career was cruelly impeded by the outset of her having Alzheimer's Disease or dementia about 9 or 10 years ago.

Now Heaven has attained another star among all the other stars up above. R.I.P, Dora Bryan.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodbye, Dora. You were great, in your unique way! x
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Dora, condolences to all family and friends :(
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the last Carry on actors too. Can't be many left now
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Dora.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Dora Bryan. :( A fine comic actress that gave us a lot of laughter.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,777
    Forum Member
    RIP Dora.

For me you'll be best remembered for this little 60's gem

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWC3hvGtBBc
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    A British comedy legend. I've lost count of the number of films from the 1950s and 1960s she popped up in. She was a delightful actress.

It was great to see her in Last of the Summer Wine and Absolutely Fabulous in recent years too. She hadn't been well for some time.

RIP Dora. xx

The last survivor from the 'The Blue Lamp', I should imagine.

Thanks Dora, you were a one-off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She would have been great in Benidorm series as a scatty old lady.
  • KDeeKDee Posts: 16,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She always made me smile:)
    RIP Lovely Lady x
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,973
    Forum Member
    "You can be bare arsed in seconds!"

She was brilliant in Dinnerladies. She's also one of the last parents in that episodes to pass away- Eric Sykes, Thora Hird and Elspet Gray (who played Phillipa's mum) have all already died.

Victoria Wood sure got the creme de la creme for those 2 series. One of my favourite eps, especially Dora's portrayal of Jean's mum "Love in the afernoon, what'dyou say?" to Tony.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First saw her in the wonderful 'A Taste Of Honey' and then in the Carry On films.

I'd forgotten about her appearance in dinnerladies. Very gamely, I'll have to seek out Youtube for that later.

Enjoyed her too in Last Of The Summer Wine.

A sad loss indeed but she had a good and full life.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,973
    Forum Member
    First saw her in the wonderful 'A Taste Of Honey' and then in the Carry On films.

I'd forgotten about her appearance in dinnerladies. Very gamely, I'll have to seek out Youtube for that later.

Enjoyed her too in Last Of The Summer Wine.

A sad loss indeed but she had a good and full life.

dave - the mirror article has a link to it - see the very first post in this thread.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,632
    Forum Member
    I loved Dora as Jean's mother in Dinnerladies.

Very sad to hear of her passing, although 91 is a good age to reach. She was a brilliant character actress and had great comedy timing.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    The last survivor from the 'The Blue Lamp', I should imagine.

Thanks Dora, you were a one-off.

RIP Dora, regarding The Blue Lamp I think Glyn Houston is still alive at 87.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,165
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    RIP Dora, regarding The Blue Lamp I think Glyn Houston is still alive at 87.

He is indeed, his brother Donald who was a bigger name, and who starred opposite Jean Simmons in The Blue Lagoon died in 1991 at only 67.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news RIP Dora a true british star :(