Options

PAYG Customers Far Happier Than Contract Customers

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) customers are far happier with their phone deal than those of us who pay monthly.

Figures from Top Cashback reveal that 90% of PAYG customers are satisfied with their mobile payment plan compared to just 63% of those who are on monthly contracts.

More than half of people with monthly contracts have switched providers due to costs.
Residents from the south east and north west are the most disappointed with their monthly contracts. Interestingly, three-quarters of PAYG users said they were confident they were on the cheapest tariff, despite nearly two-thirds (58%) saying they didn't shop around for the cheapest deal.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/pay-phone-customers-happiest-151144106.html

Comments

• Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are on a contract you are tied down to that contract on a locked to the network smartphone until the end of a 24 month period even though there are cheaper PAYG or cheaper contracts provided by other mobile operators.

Plus you have to pay money to unlock it at the end of the contract to allow you to take advantage of a cheaper tariff which may have more data, more call time and more texts than the contract you've been on.
  • Options
    binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    If you are on a contract you are tied down to that contract on a locked to the network smartphone until the end of a 24 month period even though there are cheaper PAYG or cheaper contracts provided by other mobile operators.

Not necessarily - there are many 12 month commitment SIM-only plans (with which you get more and/or pay less than a one month contract).
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Plus you have to pay money to unlock it at the end of the contract to allow you to take advantage of a cheaper tariff which may have more data, more call time and more texts than the contract you've been on.

Not always - I'm on a contract I'm very happy with, as its a 30 day SIM only deal for £8pm giving me 600 mins, unlimited texts, 1Gb data and I put the SIM in a Sony Z3 Compact I bought SIM free and unlocked with no network crap on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Not always - I'm on a contract I'm very happy with, as its a 30 day SIM only deal for £8pm giving me 600 mins, unlimited texts, 1Gb data and I put the SIM in a Sony Z3 Compact I bought SIM free and unlocked with no network crap on it.

I think that's different to the contracts they are referring to where you get a free phone or pay a small amount for the phone but are then tied into an 18 month or 24 month contract for £35 or more a month.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Well PAYG is stress free. put a small amount on it and it stays there till you use it instead of greedy companies just thinking "Oh we'll just take this as it's the end of the month". Then you can easily add a bundle for the data you need with no long contract and you can not buy the next month if you are short of funds and change operator if you wish.

I can only see most people going PAYG if they don't have a radical re-think of their contract structure. Just why/would people force themselves to be stuck with one operator for 2 whole years? There has got to be more on offer to want to do that and a free phone isn't it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well PAYG is stress free. put a small amount on it and it stays there till you use it instead of greedy companies just thinking "Oh we'll just take this as it's the end of the month". Then you can easily add a bundle for the data you need with no long contract and you can not buy the next month if you are short of funds and change operator if you wish.

I can only see most people going PAYG if they don't have a radical re-think of their contract structure. Just why/would people force themselves to be stuck with one operator for 2 whole years? There has got to be more on offer to want to do that and a free phone isn't it!

That's the only reason people take out these long expensive contracts because they can't afford to fork out £500 plus up front for the latest phones and the networks will always exploit that.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    That's the only reason people take out these long expensive contracts because they can't afford to fork out £500 plus up front for the latest phones and the networks will always exploit that.

Then don't shell out £500 for the latest phone. Yes I know that will fall on deaf ears with the kiddies, but as sensible adult I got a phone directly from China that does all the latest things including 4G for £100. No it hasn't got that certain label on it that makes me more sexually attractive, but I can live with that.

And being totally unlocked before I started, I get to chose and change whenever I want.

Add to that bundles that Three are doing with unlimited Data when I decide to buy one or leave it as the case my be, and PAYG is good for sensible people who think more about money than looking cool for social acceptance.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Exactly.

A Moto G or a Nexus 5 will both do anything anyone could possibly want from a smartphone. Actually the Nexus 5 is still a flagship rivalling phone even now, and yet can be readily had for less than £200.

Add a £10 a month contract to that, and you've got £440 total over 2 years.

PAYG worth it just for the peace of mind of knowing that if your provider turns to shit, you can just pack your bags and go elsewhere. I've been burnt on a 2 year contract that couldn't deliver any internet connectivity between the hours of 8am and 8pm due to congestion, and for the entire length of the contract (bar the first couple of months by which time it was too late), and I vowed never to get tied down again.
  • Options
    AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »

Sounds good value, who's it with?
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

That's not strictly true for all providers though as Three don't charge to unlock your phone, in fact all phones from Three now come unlocked.