Options

Miranda - Christmas/New Year Specials (25 December and 1 January)

Comments

• Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Even though I enjoyed it, it didn't quite feel like classic Miranda to me. Yes, I get that there were going to be obstacles in the way before Miranda and Gary (I still think Mike was the better option) got their happy ending, but I wish they were a little bit funnier and farcical in keeping with the tradition of the programme.

I agree re. Mike - a far better suitor and rather briskly written off within the first few minutes I thought. Any chance he might return in part 2 d'you think?
    Or is it just going to be thirty minutes of dreariness with Miranda trying to win Gary back?
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely LOVE Miranda, for me The first & second series were perfect, the third was slightly patchy but still great, my all time favourite episode is "Mum's The Word" closely followed by the Lawyers Office episode (I cant remember the name of that one) that also has my favourite ever quote "I'm the MAMMOTH ONE! I'm the medium one AND BONJOURNO I AM THE TINY ONE"

But i felt this episode wasn't as good as it could have been, i felt very empty by the end of watching that one last night. I really hope the next episode saves it, otherwise im going to be a tad pissed off that it ended on a poor note, to which in my opinion has been a very funny, light-hearted brilliant series.
  • Options
    best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hart certainly divides opinion - women love her and men can't stand her.
    I reckon it goes back to Bridget Jones and has continued with Hart and - the equally dire - Millican.

Fat, clumsy woman mugs at camera and falls over and the women in the audience wet themselves - 'Ooh! That's just like me!'

As Billy Connolly once said when describing women like her 'Love me, love me. I'm thick.'
  • Options
    carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Really?

Like - how dare a woman demand to be the protagonist in her life and in her art, no matter what she looks like or how tall she is? How dare she not conform to the prevailing teenage male sexist paradigm of what a worthwhile woman should be? Jeez... get with it, already. We are all the heroes of our own lives and ... deserve to be. If you don't like her show, don't watch / don't post. Move on.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    best boy wrote: »
    Hart certainly divides opinion - women love her and men can't stand her.
    I reckon it goes back to Bridget Jones and has continued with Hart and - the equally dire - Millican.

Fat, clumsy woman mugs at camera and falls over and the women in the audience wet themselves - 'Ooh! That's just like me!'

As Billy Connolly once said when describing women like her 'Love me, love me. I'm thick.'

oh please, spare us the amateur psychology. When Norman Wisdom and Laurel and Hardy did slapstick did the male audience think 'ooh that's just like me' or did it mean they were 'thick' too? Hart may divide opinion (ie, some vocal men at least have a problem with her) but she certainly draws out the male chauvinists and misogynists .. "best boy".
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too sorry to see this show come to an end, always found it annoying and unfunny. Can't understand why she gets so my hype from the BBC, perhaps she's one of the cheaper, hackneyed, "much loved" comedians?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really?

Like - how dare a woman demand to be the protagonist in her life and in her art, no matter what she looks like or how tall she is? How dare she not conform to the prevailing teenage male sexist paradigm of what a worthwhile woman should be? Jeez... get with it, already. We are all the heroes of our own lives and ... deserve to be. If you don't like her show, don't watch / don't post. Move on.

Few people here are judging her looks, talent or former form; most just feel a little let down after the glorious series 2.
    It has lost its mojo and I think Hart realises this - hence the move to bring it all to an end.

We're not getting a swansong though - more a loose-ends tidy-up exercise.
    Having said that there were still flashes of brilliance last night :)
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Few people here are judging her looks, talent or former form; most just feel a little let down after the glorious series 2.
    It has lost its mojo and I think Hart realises this - hence the move to bring it all to an end.

We're not getting a swansong though - more a loose-ends tidy-up exercise.
    Having said that there were still flashes of brilliance last night :)

Yeah series 3 was a bit poor. Although the episode with Gary Barlow was brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    from the Telegraph:
    Surely she and Gary will kiss and make up in the final episode? Or will she give Mike another chance after all? Or will Miranda, that most traditional of sitcoms, suddenly go all postmodern as the character comes out as a lesbian and proposes to Stevie? Now that really would be going out with a, um, bang...
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from the Telegraph:
    Surely she and Gary will kiss and make up in the final episode? Or will she give Mike another chance after all? Or will Miranda, that most traditional of sitcoms, suddenly go all postmodern as the character comes out as a lesbian and proposes to Stevie? Now that really would be going out with a, um, bang...

Latter, please. I did think it was going to go that way during the camping scene! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    from the Telegraph:

Imagine!
    Miranda herself is a lesbian isn't she?
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I hope Miranda never returns. Overstayed the welcome
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, now that I've had a Mirandathon and thought about it some more, and trying to tie in the tweet from early November from a restaurant owner where they were filming a beach scene (bomb squad was on site he said) AND the possible clue that Gary says in " let's get married in three weeks" (ie. why 3 wks? why not 2 wks or 3 days?) Special #2 might go like this:

after 3 wks of thinking /living w/out Miranda, Gary decides he can indeed "open up" to her and man up for his emotional "but" ... somehow the plot winds up as fireworks on the beach that go off and spell, "I love you, Miranda" . How Gary and Miranda wind up on the beach must involve M deciding to travel - perhaps to Paris where safety wives and husbands go when they have a moment? - and Gary chasing after her?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the train ticket for Wick still valid? She could go there like she suggested last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought the scenes from Miranda in her bathrobe through the camping scene w/ Stevie was excellent and on par w/ best of past episodes. Wonderful! stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought the scenes from Miranda in her bathrobe through the camping scene w/ Stevie was excellent and on par w/ best of past episodes. Wonderful! stuff

I agree - a lot of it was vintage Miranda. Its downfall was the clumsy insertion of the confrontation with Gary, which came out of nowhere and grated.

Hope part two will be better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just have to say: the couch scene w/ Gary, Miranda, and Stevie was BRILLIANT! "ewww...male downstairs parts! Ewwww ... female downstairs parts!" Fantastic physical comedy. What was it the BBC used as adverts for Series 2? "Precision comedy" This was the perfect example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... this was pub'd in the Daily Mail 20 Nov 14

But she promises to end the sitcom on a happy note . . . and has hinted that her character will finally pair off with Gary (Tom Ellis).
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... this was pub'd in the Daily Mail 20 Nov 14

But she promises to end the sitcom on a happy note . . . and has hinted that her character will finally pair off with Gary (Tom Ellis).

I wouldn't trust the Daily Mail, they don't do positive news stories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    After several years and series of the 'will they won't they' Gary and Miranda saga, if they blow this chance and don't get married I will be very very disappointed. The whole premise of the series from Day One has been her love for Gary.
    I found the ridiculous reaction of Stevie and Miranda's mother pathetic. What kind of friends and mother would act like that after their friend/daughter finally gets a proposal from the man she has loved for 15 years! They would scarper and give the couple some privacy instead of harping on about wedding plans and 'best friends being rejected'.
    I hope Miranda and Gary just elope and their stupid friends think they haven't got married, but that the series ends with Miranda and Gary in Las Vegas having an Elvis wedding.
    If Miranda chooses to remain single just to please her pathetic friend Stevie I will scream!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found the ridiculous reaction of Stevie and Miranda's mother pathetic. What kind of friends and mother would act like that after their friend/daughter finally gets a proposal from the man she has loved for 15 years! They would scarper and give the couple some privacy instead of harping on about wedding plans and 'best friends being rejected'.

It is typical Penny and Stevie though and therefore fits perfectly with the narrative of obstacles Miranda and Gary face. Penny is overbearing and Stevie is needy under all the bravado.

The only person who didn't behave as per character was Gary; his tantrum and rejection of Miranda was absurd because he's meant to be attracted to Miranda's humility and is meant to understand that she gets insecure.
    That is what really grated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only person who didn't behave as per character was Gary; his tantrum and rejection of Miranda was absurd because he's meant to be attracted to Miranda's humility and is meant to understand that she gets insecure.
    That is what really grated.

Agreed. It was the writing of Gary's part that seemed way off.... he says he loves her for her and she doesn't need to change while sitting on the couch before they do their dance. But then he says that they can't be together cuz Miranda needs him to say, "I love you" at the end like something is Miranda's fault here and she needs to change. No sense. It doesn't read right emotionally "off" as well. If he's so happy and over the moon, buying her rings and etc then good golly, he can just say - OR MOUTH !- the I love you.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    For Gawd's Sake Miranda - MARRY the hunk that is Tom Ellis.....sorry Gary!! We've waited all this time!! :)
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Gary could be described as a hunk, and I'm sure when, as I don't think there's any doubt, Miranda bags him permanently, she'll enjoy the jealous looks she gets from other girls, but what annoys me is that it just seems that's all he's got to offer and that's all really what she wants him for.
  • Options
    pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    I don't like Miranda with Gary - I think she is better suited to Mike. Gary is an idiot, anyway.