Options

Er, erm. Speech-pause expressions.

2»

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In writing it's often 'Ahem'............but I've never heard anyone say 'Ahem' .......unless of course that is how you should spell 'Erm'.......:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "F**kin' get on to this yeah! I was f**kin' talking to f**kin' Skanky Donna at f**kin' Maccies right, and f**kin' Mad Anthony was proper f**kin' on one yeah, an he f**kin' says..."

That's what I hate.

Ugh. I cannot stand that much swearing either. Totally unnecessary
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Dara Ó Briain's "ehh" after a joke immediately comes to mind. He makes fun of it himself, though so he's not oblivious to it.

Sandy Toksvig says "erm" after every punchline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Literally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Literally.

Repetition as demonstrated by Lorraine Kelly.
    "It so is.....so so is." or " No, its really good, really, really, really good" for example.

Kelly doesn't use this to think about what she's going to say next though because its always the same old sycophantic rubbish.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, no.

The use of "So" seems to be imported from verbal use in academia, thereby lending a faux authority to whatever follows.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Sandy Toksvig says "erm" after every punchline.

Jo Brand also. It's like an apology for being unfunny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Repetition as demonstrated by Lorraine Kelly.
    "It so is.....so so is." or " No, its really good, really, really, really good" for example.

Kelly doesn't use this to think about what she's going to say next though because its always the same old sycophantic rubbish.

She does that on Twitter as well.

Lorraine ‏@reallorraine
    Very very difficult to decide who was the
    most handsome chap last night. I reckon it
    was a draw between @BusyDillo and
    @jordanmoore44 #GMM

https://twitter.com/reallorraine/status/556764029373648896
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I used to have a friend who I was told had a crush on me. He was a nice enough chap but he started most of his sentences with 'Fair Enough'. For e.g I'd say 'just going to grab my jacket', then he'd reply with the expression 'fair enough'.
    He did it a lot of the time. I think either he was unaware he said it that much or he was trying to support me and be in agreement with what I said as he wanted to be in my good books.:D

I was tempted to say something a bit out there like 'I think all men should be thrown onto a bonfire' just to see if he replied with his usual expression.

I can't say much tho as I used to be one of those high school girls on the bus who said 'like' a bit too often. I've recovered now from those dark days.
  • Options
    MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Boulton on Sky news.
    If he's reading the autocue in the studio, no problem.
    Let him loose with his own thoughts and it's unbearable.
    Every other word is erm, err.
    With the odd machine gun delivery of erms and errs, maybe half a dozen or so, for good measure.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most footballers talking is enough to drive me mad

Before letting footballers loose on air they should be given a few basic grammar lessons and taught how to pronouce the "th" sound in words, so they don't say fick, fin, frough, wiv, etc.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Jo Brand also. It's like an apology for being unfunny.

But Sandi is funny!
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I'm sometimes guilty of saying 'do you know what I mean?' at the end of a point I was trying to make. It is annoying no doubt, but I find I usually do it when it seems like the other person isn't really listening to me :p
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a colleague who uses 'and that' ALL THE TIME. It drives us up the wall. I counted once, and in the space of a ten minute phone call, she said 'and that' TWENTY SEVEN TIMES.