Photography in the 70's

RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
Forum Member
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this:confused:

I wondered why many photographs taken in the 70's seem to have such a brown tint. Most of my own pictures from that time have that effect and I have noticed it in other peoples too. Was it down to the cameras of that era or the films & developing?

It's difficult when scanning old photos or getting copies made to try and balance out the colours to make them less brown.:)

Just curious. :)

Comments

• RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I will read through that later but think I might not have explained myself too well. I am not referring to sepia photographs but full colour prints.

Thanks for the links though:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I know.

The first link is just a page about what sepia photos are. As part of that it goes on about people mistaking old, faded, photos for Sepia ones. The reason the old photos look this way (according to them) is:

"Modern photographic prints do not suffer from such a severe discoloration effect over time, but if you take a photograph from 20-30 years ago, you will likely find that the color has faded. This can be due to the dyes used in the ink, or the way the photograph was processed."

Which pretty much agrees with what you said in the first place.

Having looked better at the second one, it seems to be going on about older photos than you're interested in. The search threw it up I though I may as well stick in the link.

If you want as much detail as the chemical processes involved you (and google) are on your own! ;)

:)
  • RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    I have read through the articles now so thanks again.

I think I maybe didn't explain properly in that the photographs haven't suffered fading or discolouration over the last 20-30 years, they have always had the brownish tinge since they were first developed. I guess after reading the links that it was probabley down to the chemicals they used back then or the way they were developed.

:)