Options

Time Keeping In Work Help ?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see your point about the call centre. It would be ridiculous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dashyork42 wrote: »
    Sorry, I just came across the thread and added to it. As for misinformed, the company I work for (one of the biggest in Britain, in fact it may be the biggest) are very up on the law and rules etc...Even the union agree, you cannot be on company property outside your working hours except if asked specifically to be there for whatever reason.
    Unless the company is prepared to pay you from the start of your working hours regardless of whether you've actually started work (in which case there might be a temptation to take your time starting), isn't that awkward to work with? You get in, put your coat & bag away, go to the loo or put on a uniform if you have one, brush your hair - you could easily kill 5 minutes doing two of those things, more if your actually working area is a considerable way from the main entrance. :confused:
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I used to work for Morrisons (horrid company btw) we were not allowed to clock in until we were ready to start work. If you weren't properly dressed, or went to the loo after clocking in you would get pulled into the HR office (which was right in front of the clocking in machines with huge glass windows so they could see everyone clocking in and out) and be given a stern talking to. This didn't affect me really as I was never late - I hate being late to anywhere.

Similarly, if you clocked in even a minute after you should have they would ask why you were late and would have your wages docked accordingly - 10 minutes if you were dressed and ready to start work, 15 minutes of you weren't dressed or wanted to go to the loo before starting work.

Also, I worked in the restaurant and we were only ever paid until close - so if the cafe closed at 8 we were paid till 8. If we had been busy and needed to stay behind to finish up we wouldn't get paid. We also couldn't leave until all the work was done and signed off by a manager - so if you got a customer in at 7.55 pm you had to wait for them to finish, wash up their dishes and clean down the table - we were also not allowed to hurry them along by telling them we were closed.

Needless to say, I didn't stay there long.

Anyway, I agree that you should be ready to start work at the time specified. If you want to get a cuppa, go to the loo etc get there 5 minutes early and do it in your own time.

If you are constantly finding yourself late to work due to traffic - leave home earlier. Again, back at Morrisons, the bus I got to work got there at either 32 past the hour or 8 mins to the hour. In order to make sure I was at work, on time and ready I had to get the 35 past the hour bus and sit in the staff canteen for 15-20 minutes. If the later bus was on time, I could just about make it but I couldn't guarantee it would be so i always got the earlier one.
  • Options
    dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless the company is prepared to pay you from the start of your working hours regardless of whether you've actually started work (in which case there might be a temptation to take your time starting), isn't that awkward to work with? You get in, put your coat & bag away, go to the loo or put on a uniform if you have one, brush your hair - you could easily kill 5 minutes doing two of those things, more if your actually working area is a considerable way from the main entrance. :confused:

To be fair, they are happy with us getting our gear on etc after we've started at 7. We then have short team meetings etc before setting off to our destination so it doesn't really matter about not being there earlier than our shift time starts.