New BBC One Drama: Our Girl

Comments

• sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    should of been on BBC3 this is not really good enough for BBC1
    That's a bit insulting to BBC3 isn't it? There have been some excellent programs put out by that channel - this just wasn't a very good program - period!
  • SuddenEliteSuddenElite Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Bex. wrote: »
    what's the dad been in before? i recognize him

Here he is in an old ITV publicity shot - you'd have thought he'd have realised Ryan's morphed into an entirely new person given he once played Carla Connor's hubby :p

16j3ac0.jpg
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie1222 wrote: »
    In what possible universe was 'Our Girl' 'vile'?

I am on disability benefits and I hate it when the Daily Mail portrays all disabled benefit claimants as lazy scroungers. But I am not so blind as to deny that there ARE lazy benefit scroungers out there. I am struggling to think of another BBC prog where disability claimants are shown in a bad light. So it hardly seems endemic on the BBC.

As is this 'bad' muslim issue a couple of people have posted. Are you suggesting that there is not a single bad muslim in the world? There are plenty of bad christians. As others have said. Threre is good and bad in all groups. Have you any idea just how patronizing and demeening it is of you to suggest that certain groups must only ever been seen in a positive light? You are treating these groups like children and infantalizing them. Moreover you are suggesting the rest of us are so thick, we can't apprecite that there are good and bad people wherever you go? Well boo sucks to you. I can make my own mind up thanks.

And finally, why shouldn't it be an advert for the Army? It's a dangerous occupation, but the programme didn't shy away from making that plain. But it is a way out for a lot of people. Always has been and if that's your thing, then as long as you are aware of the risk, go for it.
    I actually thought the whole prog was very positive and uplifting. It was about someone improving themsleves. How anyone can inteperet that as 'vile' beats me. I think it's the person who said it was vile who has the problem.

I agree there and in general with your post. People dont criticise Strictly because its made people join up for dancing lessons.Its just another form of inspiration and I would imagine it will cause a brief jump in people enquiring about Army life.
    I actually thought the moment of truth was vomiting into the doorway, it probably hit her she could still be vomiting into the same doorway every Saturday night in five years time.
    The last half hour was quite inspiring imo, and moving too.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,952
    Forum Member
    ugley_matt wrote: »
    Heres a thought, if you have to go onto social media to explain then ending of your program then you probably should have tweaked the script slightly before making it.

Yeah it was pretty confusing
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I agree there. People dont criticise Strictly because its made people join up for dancing lessons.Its just another form of inspiration and I would imagine it will cause a brief jump in people enquiring about Army life.
    I actually thought the moment of truth was vomiting into the doorway, it probably hit her she could still be vomiting into the same doorway every Saturday night in five years time.
    The last half hour was quite inspiring imo, and moving too.

BIB: the two programmes aren't exactly analogous, though. Our Girl is a drama, not propaganda, though I thought it came pretty close to propaganda at times.

Agree with your point about the vomiting being the impetus to change her life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, although I did not expect to. For the first 15 minutes I was sat on the edge of the sofa with the remote in my hand ready to turn it over. But I relaxed and put the remote down and have to say I really enjoyed it.

I also feel in some ways you have to have stereotypes in drama, it is impossible to bring everything new to the table every time. Stereotyping, for me, would have had a male lead, all gung ho and ready to fight for Queen and country. Instead we had someone who joined the Army to get a better life. The feckless Dad had a back story, rather than being a Shameless rip off. The Muslim boyfriend didn't have to be Muslim, any number of any colour, creed, religion boys think they have an automatic entitlement to a girl they consider 'theirs'. And of course the girl should be grateful!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    bitchy_me wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, although I did not expect to. For the first 15 minutes I was sat on the edge of the sofa with the remote in my hand ready to turn it over. But I relaxed and put the remote down and have to say I really enjoyed it.

I did that :D

This was ok, nothing special just a watchable programme for a Sunday night.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB: the two programmes aren't exactly analogous, though. Our Girl is a drama, not propaganda, though I thought it came pretty close to propaganda at times.

Agree with your point about the vomiting being the impetus to change her life.

It wasn't very good propaganda then. It just made me think that nobody could possibly want to do that for a living.
  • 10monty10monty Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    ugley_matt wrote: »
    Heres a thought, if you have to go onto social media to explain then ending of your program then you probably should have tweaked the script slightly before making it.

I thought it was fairly obvious it wasn't her that had died
  • Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Seemed quite reminiscent of Private Benjamin with Goldie Hawn.
  • JMinLondonJMinLondon Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you think she had died?

It showed the Corporal reading her letter that he had nagged her to write, and her parents said something along the lines of 'dont worry, Our Girl will be alright' when looking at footage of another girls body being repatriated.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemed quite reminiscent of Private Benjamin with Goldie Hawn.

That might be considered "fighting talk" amongst a few on here.
    Though I did suggest there might be similarities, on the first page of this thread, long before the programme started.

To introduce a note of trivia. In the bit where all the trainees were lined up when "our girl" said to the corporal, "I thought I was in a film," a glance down the line revealed a girl in a blue top "with a superb rack."
  • Striker22Striker22 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved it, Lacey is a great little actress and a good supporting cast in it too.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it was anything like Private Benjamin. Private Benjamin was a comedy drama. This was actually quite gritty and even disturbing in some parts. Full kudos to them for having the balls to put so much racism in the script. So rare to see TV being like that thesedays in this crazy PC world. Certainly made it stand out more.
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    It wasn't very good propaganda then. It just made me think that nobody could possibly want to do that for a living.

It's a good job there are people who want to do it for a living or else you have conscription and then we wouldn't be able to while away our days waffling on forums;)
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was anything like Private Benjamin. Private Benjamin was a comedy drama. This was actually quite gritty and even disturbing in some parts. Full kudos to them for having the balls to put so much racism in the script. So rare to see TV being like that thesedays in this crazy PC world. Certainly made it stand out more.

I agree re the realistic script, from 1997-2010 , programmes were so rigidly policed by the PC brigade that they were unrealistic.
    I thought the dialogue was true to life.
    Molly's father, who we learnt more about during the 'icebreaker' scene was understandably bitter after losing his livelihood......(.although there was irony in his money making scheme towards the end)
    Like it or not, not everyone has bought into Blairs New Labour forced multicultural society and they were arrogant to automatically expect everyone to do so.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tuned in thinking it would be rubbish - but i enjoyed every moment of it. My husband is normally in bed by 10pm, but even he stayed up to watch it. Great Sunday night telly.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Mercier wrote: »
    I was suggesting nothing of the sort about anyone else, and how incredibly rude, judgemental and insulting of you to prescribe "problems" to others. What exactly is my problem?

The reasons why I thought this programme vile have absolutely nothing to do with your suppositions and the rather hysterical list of grievances.

Instead of perhaps politely asking why I found this programme pretty vile and opening a discourse you go on the attack I certainly wouldn't insult you, why do you feel the need to do so to others because their opinion of a television programme differs to yours?

Well maybe you should have 'cut to the chase' in your opening post.
    Anyway another FM asked you to 'expand on your point', which you could have done here, but you still haven't.
    This was as vile as it gets. The BBC is becoming so bloody Tory in its old age.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Rather than just posting bizarre opinions, why don't you try to explain what you found offensive. It would encourage a much more engaging conversation.
  • MercierMercier Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well maybe you should have 'cut to the chase' in your opening post.
    Anyway another FM asked you to 'expand on your point', which you could have done here, but you still haven't.

I did cut to the chase. Vile, Tory Crap and pretty badly written too.

There happy now? And who the hell appointed you the spokesman for the discussion. And if you need me to point out why it's vile, tory, badly written, simplistic crap that's more energy than this tripe deserves.
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10monty wrote: »
    I thought it was fairly obvious it wasn't her that had died

Exactly. We were meant to think she had died, with the coffin and the letter v/o, but it was misdirection. Her parents were watching another soldier's funeral - hence the mother squeezing the father's hand and saying "our girl will be alright" - and the corporal was reading her letter prior to putting it wherever they keep them in case they are needed; he gave a little smile which I took to be pride/pleasure in the way she'd turned out and having read of her genuine love of what she was doing (and possibly satisfaction that she'd finally got round to writing it after all his nagging).
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I did cut to the chase. Vile, Tory Crap and pretty badly written too.

There happy now? And who the hell appointed you the spokesman for the discussion. And if you need me to point out why it's vile, tory, badly written, simplistic crap that's more energy than this tripe deserves.

Cheery bye :)
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Striker22 wrote: »
    Absolutely loved it, Lacey is a great little actress and a good supporting cast in it too.

I agree. Some actors are just worth watching whatever they are in, and Lacey Turner is one of them. And this was a good contemporary drama.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually enjoyed it too. Think it was actually pretty Anti racism. As the dad who was a racist bell - end was actually very unsympathetic and was made to look pretty silly I thought.
    Anyway I have a question. When they were still training and "Our Girl" was in the room with the couple who had been told there son had died was that training?. If so thats pretty messed up but I guess its to gauge whether they can handle bad news and grief.
    Also I was confused with the ending too but I think it was obvious she didnt die. If she did the parents would be at Wooton Basset not watching it on tv. I also got thrown a bit by the training simulator scene. :o
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Overall I really enjoyed it, but a couple of very minor things did jar a little:
    Firstly, the dreadful fake rhyming slang. No-one says 'oily' (oily rag - ****); and 'gregory' (Gregory Peck - neck) went out in 1962. I'm a Bermondsey native, so it rankled.
    And I realise there are rules and regs about these things, but who says 'I come from Stratford' without adding 'where the Olympics were'?