Options

What good things is brexit going to bring?

Comments

• Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another person who does not understand that there is an institution called the European Court of Justice, which is a fundamental part of the EU.
    But is not the European Court of Human Rights, an institution separate from the EU and ECJ.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Controlled immigration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I didn't vote Leave but I'll answer anyway with the potential positives I see.

The obvious one in the south of England (and a few pockets elsewhere) is the massive difference between average incomes and average house prices. Migration from the A8 and later A2 countries has clearly exacerbated this. Losing freedom of movement, if indeed that is part of our future relationship with the EU, could definitely help deflate the housing bubble. Generation Y would benefit from that. Long term, we'll all benefit from that. We need to weaned off the opium of high house prices. It cannot be achieved openly as an aim in itself, as it will go down like a lead balloon with voters. If however it arrives understood as an unavoidable side effect of a popular political position (reduced migration) then suddenly it's possible to achieve.

Hahaha. So it's left to a fellow remainer to come up with about the only credible, reasoned possible benefit.

We should bookmark this to see what happens in 5 years time.

If we're out of the EU by then and haven't had to agree to freedom of movement anyway, of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Getting our fishing lanes back !!!
    Depends on what agreement we reach with other countries.
    More NHS support, money and less waiting times. Plus the NHS won't be killed off like experts said it would if we voted Remain.
    No expert said the NHS would be killed off if we vote remain, only the same people who lied about the 350m to gullible mugs.

Waiting times are a function of the current (Tory) Govt, the previous Labour administration spent plenty of money, whilst in the EU to significantly reduce the 18 month plus waiting times we'd seen in 1997.

The Tories are undoing this work.

Nothing to do with the EU, although staff will be more difficult to get unless we end up with freedom of movement anyway, which is looking more likely.
  • Options
    Violet36Violet36 Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Getting our fishing lanes back !!!

More NHS support, money and less waiting times. Plus the NHS won't be killed off like experts said it would if we voted Remain.

The NHS will not exist in its current form after we leave. There will not be the money in the economy to support it after some firms relocate.
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Yes, this figure is a lie. We can't get back we've not sent, the 350m is not money that's sent. We pay 250m a week, 160m net of what we get back. QUOTE]

As had been argued all the time by the leave side, 350m is gross, 150m is net, that is stil ONE HUNDRED and FIFTY MILLION POUNDS NET being saved per WEEK by not being in the EU that can support our NHS.

"That wasn't a fine. Can a brexiter not compose one single post without lying? I suppose their case is that weak, much of it having collapsed within a week."

Yes it was a fine, David Cameron tried to avoid paying it but ended up paying it behind closed doors. It was a completely unreasonable fine, and now we shouldn't get any more thanks to Brexiters.

"Sensible people didn't have this fear."

Sensisble people did have this fear and voted out, its about time you faced demoacracy.

""tens of thousands". How's that going?"

I really don't get your argument here???? But when we can implement the points system we can decide how much immigration is right for our country.

"Not another one! The EU vote doesn't affect Human rights.
    <sigh> ditto."

A lot of leavers want out of the EU and out of the ECHR, Theresa May also wants this, so it's certainly on the table, its just bigoted to ignore this.

"Like who? What comparable country outside the EU has made these deals?"

Go and do your own research, but we've already had interest shown from the likes of South Korea, Mexico, Brazil, India, China and the USA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think internal migration was initially a significant upward driver of prices, though obviously in London it has exacerbated an already bad situation in recent years.

I have to disagree on this. I'm from near London, quite a few of my friends are from the north who have moved south, none of my southern friend moved north, Londoners displaced by immigration and high prices still stay in the South-east.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    As had been argued all the time by the leave side, 350m is gross,
    Yes, it was argued by the leave side, it was a lie. 250m is the gross figure paid to the EU.
    150m is net, that is stil ONE HUNDRED and FIFTY MILLION POUNDS NET being saved per WEEK by not being in the EU that can support our NHS.
    Yes it was a fine, David Cameron tried to avoid paying it but ended up paying it behind closed doors. It was a completely unreasonable fine, and now we shouldn't get any more thanks to Brexiters.
    It wasn't a fine. The fact that you have to keep lying even though you've won shows how wrong you are.
    ""tens of thousands". How's that going?"

I really don't get your argument here???? But when we can implement the points system we can decide how much immigration is right for our country.
    We already "decided" that "tens of thousands" of non EU migration was right for our country. How did that go in practice?
    A lot of leavers want out of the EU and out of the ECHR, Theresa May also wants this, so it's certainly on the table, its just bigoted to ignore this.
    It's a different and totally unrelated table.
    Go and do your own research, but we've already had interest shown from the likes of South Korea, Mexico, Brazil, India, China and the USA.
    Way to show you have no clue what you voted for.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Not bigoted in the least. May has recently said that leaving the ECHR is no longer on her wish list.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    As had been argued all the time by the leave side, 350m is gross, 150m is net, that is stil ONE HUNDRED and FIFTY MILLION POUNDS NET being saved per WEEK by not being in the EU that can support our NHS.

I don't think that's what the leave side were arguing and certainly not what has been said since the referendum but still.

£150 million a week (or £133 which was my figures upthread) is a lot of money. I'm sure the NHS would welcome it but how much difference do you think it will really make? It is projected that by 2020 without further savings in the NHS there will be a budget shortfall of £577 million per week.

It's not exactly going to mean hip replacements all round is it.

And that's assuming the Government of the day chooses to spend the whole amount on the NHS. £150 million is about 1% of total government spending per week. They can lose that in the roundings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Yes, it was argued by the leave side, it was a lie. 250m is the gross figure paid to the EU.

It wasn't a fine. The fact that you have to keep lying even though you've won shows how wrong you are.

We already "decided" that "tens of thousands" of non EU migration was right for our country. How did that go in practice?

It's a different and totally unrelated table.

Way to show you have no clue what you voted for.

Im tired of going round in circles. Ive tried to explain everything but if you refuse to accept it without any facts or proof then theres no point continuing this. I suggest you get on and eat your sour grapes and move on.
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Increased air pollution

Return of the London Smog to keep population growth under control

Return of British Pride which allows Judges & the establishment to ignore miscarriages of justice.
    Is this because only with the EU, can you be environmentally friendly? I can't say that the EU has covered themselves in glory in colluding, sorry working with car manufacturers to heavily push diesel cars only to then discover that they are worse polluters than they had imagined.

Another win for corporate lobbying of the EU parliament I'd say.

But of course only in Brexit London will we suffer the effects of this. Those still in the EU, like say Paris, will be fine
    http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-france-paris-smog-20150323-story.html
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaneomax wrote: »
    Just like Norway have control over their own borders no? lol Did you nt do any research on non eu economies and find out that Norway basically has to pay tariffs in order to get some of the benefits that eu members do? And allow freedom of movement in order to have access to the single market?? Do you think th UK can hold the EU to ransom? or vice versa? Deluded much? There is not ONE european country in the top 10 economies in the world who are not in the EU so what? the UK is going to break this trend because we are superior? fool.

Why are we holding the EU to ransom? We'd simply be proposing a mutually beneficial trade arrangement. Why does there need to be political and social conditions attached to it?

Some have this mindset that we're asking for something for nothing. We would like access to their market and in return we are offering access to our market. A mutually beneficial deal.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure, if you want to have an extremely narrow view and completely ignore the bigger picture.

It's quite possible that we will end up worse off, for a myriad different reasons, by more than £150m per week.

In fact within a few hours of the referendum result, some £575 billion was wiped off the value of all UK property, if you were to express its value is US$. That's 20 years' worth of saving £150m per week.
  • Options
    shaneomaxshaneomax Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are we holding the EU to ransom? We'd simply be proposing a mutually beneficial trade arrangement. Why does there need to be political and social conditions attached to it?

Some have this mindset that we're asking for something for nothing. We would like access to their market and in return we are offering access to our market. A mutually beneficial deal.
    The EU will be holding us to ransom, you are so deluded to think that we can actually hold THEM to ransom hahahahahah. this is not 1890 its 2o16 and we no longer rules the oceans with our boats and colonies, wake up please, they will want to make an example of us so that other countries are discouraged from leaving the EU and causing chaos. Does that not make sense? Yeah so don't expect any easy or any "mutually beneficial" deals to come easily, if we get any at all. You dont need to be a genius to work that one out surely.We cannot hold them to ransom, Germany alone has a bigger economy than our and France is pretty much on par with us, you seriously think the UK is stronger or has a bigger voice than the EU as a WHOLE? There is only going to be one party in control of any deals and that is the EU , like it or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delusions of grandeur is what led us into ths mess and it has become clearly apparent that the people who voted leave had absolutley NO IDEA WHAT THEY WERE voting for.. all they were thinking with their narrow minds is immigration, immigratiion immigration, go look at Norway and see if their exclusion from the EU has made any changes to immigration lol
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whiskers on kittens?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Sure, if you want to have an extremely narrow view and completely ignore the bigger picture.

It's quite possible that we will end up worse off, for a myriad different reasons, by more than £150m per week.

In fact within a few hours of the referendum result, some £575 billion was wiped off the value of all UK property, if you were to express its value is US$. That's 20 years' worth of saving £150m per week.

Ahh! But property has been overvalued for the last couple decades. This also brings benefits as more people will now be able to afford houses. Rents and mortages will drop improving the cost of living :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what? Just please let them invoke article 50 right now so all these people who voted to leave can experience what a disaster their decision was, some people whose voices i AM hearing truly deserve to pay for their actions and suffer the consequences, enjoy your holidays at Butlins rather than the Costa del sol
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    , they will want to make an example of us so that other countries are discouraged from leaving the EU and causing chaos. Does that not make sense?

No it does not make sense as you sound like the spokesman of project fear team.

Do you really think Merkel on her election campaign will go on to say my fellow countrymen did you see how we punished the UK and and made example of it although it cost some of your jobs as we punished the biggest customer of EU just to cut off our nose to spite our face? :D

That my friend is not gonna happen!
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Controlled immigration.

It's controlled now. The major problem is not the EU but the other 50% of non EU citizens. I think that's where some people lost the plot with this conversation.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what? Just please let them invoke article 50 right now so all these people who voted to leave can experience what a disaster their decision was, some people whose voices i AM hearing truly deserve to pay for their actions and suffer the consequences, enjoy your holidays at Butlins rather than the Costa del sol

They will not have it old bean so your wasting your time. If this forum is anything to go by the problems would have happened anyway or its all the fault of the remainers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I
    Do you really think Merkel on her election campaign will go on to say my fellow countrymen did you see how we punished the UK and and made example of it although it cost some of your jobs as we punished the biggest customer of EU just to cut off our nose to spite our face? :D

project fear?? Lmao economic decline is already happening within two weeks and you still got the nerve to call it project fear??? You sound like a direct spokesman for project lies.

We wont be the biggest eu customer for long as a great many businesses will close down and relocate. Do the math wake up and stop kidding yourself. If you think the eu will make life difficult for us only to spite us then yet again you show us all how the leave people have no grasp of economics or any clear understanding of modern day politics. Your views belong on the school playground, not here.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely nothing good will come from Brexit.

It is an entirely negative balance sheet. Staggeringly so in many cases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, but the other EU countries are not going to let us in to a club for free that they have to pay for.

All this talk of "punishment" is just more Brexit twaddle, reality is the above.