Options

So another Berxit lie unravels ......

Comments

• Options
    huddsbluehuddsblue Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiteview wrote: »
    No one on the Remain side raised the prospect of WWIII. Instead it was Boris Johnson who raised it and he was on which side again?

To be fair Cameron did say it...
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Well you have to keep them guessing, anyway I'm bored of Brexit.

I'm certainly bored of the term. Mind you at least the even worse "Bremain" appears to have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

If we have to keep the ridiculous portmanteau "Brexit" than can we at least make it more entertaining by referring to David Davies, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union as the "Brexetary"?

I have been hoping for the odd misprint so that he became SoS for Exciting the European Union but with dear David I think that is unlikely.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Why? Just before the referendum there was talk by the Brexit leaders of Turkey joining the EU which was commandeered by the press and caused a massive argument on here for a few days. Not weird at all, particularly when you factor recent circumstances it shows how fragile Turkey was then and still is.

There's a great deal of effort being made to admit Turkey whether you like it or not. If there was a lie, it was Cameron's lie that they wouldn't join before the year 3000.
  • Options
    KiteviewKiteview Posts: 9,246
    Forum Member
    huddsblue wrote: »
    To be fair Cameron did say it...

No, Cameron did not say anything about WWIII. It was Johnson.
  • Options
    Irritable OwlIrritable Owl Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    The_Moth wrote: »
    I'm certainly bored of the term. Mind you at least the even worse "Bremain" appears to have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

If we have to keep the ridiculous portmanteau "Brexit" than can we at least make it more entertaining by referring to David Davies, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union as the "Brexetary"?

I have been hoping for the odd misprint so that he became SoS for Exciting the European Union but with dear David I think that is unlikely.

Should David Davis be a Brexicologist?
    Or a Brexidermist?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The threads some 'dog with a bone Bremainers' come up with beggars belief.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    Let's see the claims...
    Remain: Leave and you risk war, financial collapse, poverty, jobs vanishing, an immediate ruthless budget, the break up of the UK.
    Leave: Remain and there will be no future escape from what is moving towards a European superstate with all that entails, you will continue to have no control over EU citizen entry, countries such as Turkey will join the EU, you will never be able to make your own trade deals.

Much as I find becoming part of a European superstate a horrible prospect, Remain is definitely the more scary 'Project Fear'.

Several of the Remain lies might still come true. It's only been a few weeks, and as you wrote, it was increased risk, not a promise (or threat).

Leave lies were presented as fact. Turkey will join the EU, there will be an EU army, etc.

Bigger, better lies.
  • Options
    Irritable OwlIrritable Owl Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/08/cameron-brexit-will-increase-risk-of-europe-descending-into-war/

- headline is "David Cameron: Brexit could lead to Europe descending into war"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Bee wrote: »
    The threat of World War 3 anyone? Oh no, that was remain.

It wasn't
  • Options
    Gary_OldhamGary_Oldham Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    And what "lie" would that be? I don't recall anyone saying that Turkey would be joining the EU on 2nd July.
    I recall Brexit saying that Turkey would be in the EU by the end of this year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He did: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brexit-could-trigger-world-war-7928607
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/08/cameron-brexit-will-increase-risk-of-europe-descending-into-war/

- headline is "David Cameron: Brexit could lead to Europe descending into war"

David Cameron didn't write the headline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

David Cameron didn't write that headline either.

No wonder Brexit won.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird thread this, then again a lot of the smug wallowing in the 'look at all the death and disaster and further impending doom I predicted' ones are, even if they were all just quoting from what they read somewhere else months ago.
    [ I don't care who 'won', smugness deserves to be rudely sniped at as a matter of principle ]

Obviously 'WWIII' was an exaggeration but really not much of a stretch given all the remarks about the EU was keeping peace across the whole world by preventing another hitler and being welcome to foreigners and the implication that anyone against the EU was wanting all of the above and everything that went with it but nobody actually said 'all' so that makes the insinuations all perfectly OK.

Anyway, specifically to Turkey, in what way does something that causes a plan to have to change suddenly turn that previous plan into a lie? If it was in the diary then it was real, if the diary had to be changed, it doesn't mean it never existed.

Anyway, the situation is completely different from that in Ukraine, where there were talks about joining the EU and then there was a slight bit of internal civil and political difficulty which still hasn't gone away, whereas with Turkey there were talks about joining the EU and a slight bit of internal civil and political difficulty though it looks like someone misjudged the timing. Did someone say 'control of the Bosphorus'?
    Tinfoil hats available at reception, £25.99 +/- sterling/euro* crash offset accumulator.

* deflate as applicable
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Leave did lie by exaggerating the sum. £250 m is a tiny amount to us. And the rest comes from our EU membership fee.
    As you are counting money to assist the refugee crisis. The UK over four years 2016 - 2020 is giving in total over £2.3 billion directly in foreign aid to assist the refugee crisis in the region with the bulk of that going to Turkey.

And the EU is giving £3 billion over two years of which £1 billion comes from the EU's budget and £2 billion from additional contributions by member states the UK's additional contribution is the £250 million you mention. If the programme is successful the EU has pledged an addition all £3 billion for 2018.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Several of the Remain lies might still come true. It's only been a few weeks, and as you wrote, it was increased risk, not a promise (or threat).

Leave lies were presented as fact. Turkey will join the EU, there will be an EU army, etc.

Bigger, better lies.

Aha, I think I get it now; it's only been a few week so anything predicted on one side may yet come to pass, but things predicted on the other side have been proven not to happen as the "only been a few weeks" doesn't apply to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bigger, better lies.

Exactly. And the so-called-threat of WIII wasn't completely empty too. History tells us that a Europe in chaos leads to big wars, even world wars. And Europe would almost certainly be plunged into chaos should the EU collapse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you are counting money to assist the refugee crisis. The UK over four years 2016 - 2020 is giving in total over £2.3 billion directly in foreign aid to assist the refugee crisis in the region with the bulk of that going to Turkey.

Nothing to do with the EU or Brexit tho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Aha, I think I get it now; it's only been a few week so anything predicted on one side may yet come to pass, but things predicted on the other side have been proven not to happen as the "only been a few weeks" doesn't apply to them.

Leave "Facts" presented as truth were not predictions.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... The UK over four years 2016 - 2020 is giving in total over £2.3 billion directly in foreign aid to assist the refugee crisis in the region with the bulk of that going to Turkey.
    Although I might wince at the price-tag, this is one of the things where application of cash over there 'at source' in a manner of speaking, prevents having to deal with a long trail of people who will still need help along the way and at wherever they end up regardless of offers of hospitality/citizenship because things don't magically appear as and when people turn up.

There's also the crazy suggestion that ideally (and I realise reality is a frighteningly long way away from that) the refugee situation would be temporary and the further people are away from home, the harder it is to go back.

And more to the point, it helps people who are stuck through no fault of their own.
  • Options
    KiteviewKiteview Posts: 9,246
    Forum Member

If you read the article, it is clear that it is Johnson who made the WWIII reference, not Cameron.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    Have you forgotten the claims of apocalypse, World War III and financial meltdown by your side? They are well-worth considering before you start accusing LEAVE of "pure propaganda" and "downright lies".

Yes, because they are all made up by you.

But back in the real world we've got the lowest pound for over 30 years and that's after only three weeks.

Meanwhile Boris and Hannan have rowed back on no Freedom of Movement, there's no 350m to "let's spend on the NHS", no announcement on Turkey and so on.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Nobody said the EU was glorious ya berk. We tried to point out facts, but you wasn't listening as you were too busy dreaming about the glorious immigrant free free (market) Britannia filled with milk and honey and unchained neo-liberalism you could have once you'd got your country back and taken back control.

I've never heard anyone anywhere suggest that LEAVE campaigners were dreaming about an immigrant free UK.

Yet another desperate lie by the campaign to stay in.

We voted LEAVE to take back control, which when translated (as you seem to possess an innate disability to understand) means that the UK government elected by the UK electorate, makes decisions rather than an antidemocratic, unaccountable political elite in Brussels (or in Strasbourg where they transfer once a month costing over £100 million pounds a year) and is called democracy.

Before you try to bombard us all with "yeah, but the Queen's not elected, nor is the House of Lords and nor is Theresa May", I suggest you study the past 400 years of how our Constitutional Monarchy works.

You lost. Deal with it.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36153200 -
    "Reality check verdict: Over a seven year period, £1.2bn of the UK's contributions to the EU Budget will go to seven candidate states. The UK committed another £250m towards helping Turkey support Syrian refugees for two years and might commit more in the future."

And outside the EU we'll still continue to pay those sums on account of Syrian refugees.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave "Facts" presented as truth were not predictions.

Is that a bit like this "fact" you've just posted?