Options

did the smoking ban help u quits smoking??

13»

Comments

• Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Lt. Dang wrote: »
    It looks to me that the smoking ban has entirely fulfilled its promise and helped lots of people quit the habit and of course save a lot of lives.

For this it entirely makes up for the bit of upset it has caused for the die-hards (literally!).

Check out this link to see that we are already getting the pay off from this enirely worthwhile legislation.

Drop in Heart Attack Figures

Regards,

Lt. Dang
    Yes... because, of course, nothing else could have contributed to that figure.
  • Options
    FoggerFogger Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks to me that the smoking ban has entirely fulfilled its promise and helped lots of people quit the habit and of course save a lot of lives.

For this it entirely makes up for the bit of upset it has caused for the die-hards (literally!).

Check out this link to see that we are already getting the pay off from this enirely worthwhile legislation.

Regards,

Lt. Dang

So you alone have decided it entirely makes up for the bit of upset it has caused for the die-hards?

Who are you to decide that? That is for those who are/were upset to decide, not you!

But then dictating to others seems to be MO for the anti's and they really do think that dictating to others is in some way acceptable.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Lt. DangLt. Dang Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Yes... because, of course, nothing else could have contributed to that figure.
    The medical experts in Europe and the United States seem more than happy with the veracity of the figures. That is good enough for me thanks.

Fogger wrote: »
    So you alone have decided it entirely makes up for the bit of upset it has caused for the die-hards?

Who are you to decide that? That is for those who are/were upset to decide, not you!

But then dictating to others seems to be MO for the anti's and they really do think that dictating to others is in some way acceptable.

:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you like but the cold hard fact is that people's lives are being saved by this legislation. That is parents, children, husbands, wives, brothers and sisters.

I am entirely in favour of this law and if you have family and/or children you should be too. I don't have to be a genius to reach the conclusion that a bt of upset to some smokers was more than worth it for the hundreds of lives saved.

And if the decision was "left to those upset" the law would not have been passed and hundreds of people alive today would have ended up dead.

Which is the greater upset, someone who can't have a cigarette in a pub or someone who has lost a loved one to heart attack or cancer.

This reduction in the figures for heart attacks will probably be just the tip of the iceberg. I think we will see even greater benefits and even more lives saved over the next few years.

Of course the Die-Hards will continue to try and cast doubt on scientifically proven results. But that won't change a thing - the majority will want the law to stay, even if only for their children's sake.

Regards,

Lt. Dang
  • Options
    FoggerFogger Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The medical experts in Europe and the United States seem more than happy with the veracity of the figures. That is good enough for me thanks.

Roll your eyes all you like but the cold hard fact is that people's lives are being saved by this legislation. That is parents, children, husbands, wives, brothers and sisters.

I am entirely in favour of this law and if you have family and/or children you should be too. I don't have to be a genius to reach the conclusion that a bt of upset to some smokers was more than worth it for the hundreds of lives saved.

And if the decision was "left to those upset" the law would not have been passed and hundreds of people alive today would have ended up dead.

Which is the greater upset, someone who can't have a cigarette in a pub or someone who has lost a loved one to heart attack or cancer.

This reduction in the figures for heart attacks will probably be just the tip of the iceberg. I think we will see even greater benefits and even more lives saved over the next few years.

Of course the Die-Hards will continue to try and cast doubt on scientifically proven results. But that won't change a thing - the majority will want the law to stay, even if only for their children's sake.

Regards,

Lt. Dang

Yes, lovely post utterly missing the point! Told you it was the anti's MO.

IT'S NOT FOR YOU TO DECIDE. (The point you missed. Again!)

I'll keep repeating it and you keep thinking that you can tell others what to do.

Keep deluding yourself that only your view gets imposed on others whilst their view is fully ok to ignore as only you see fit and dictate.

Edit: And please stop abusing the word "Children" as an emotional blackmailing tool. It's so transparent and old hat!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't smoke nor will I ever but people can do what they want, its their money they're wasting. My dad smoked around me (very little but he still did it) and there's nothing wrong with my health.

My dad stopped for good the day he was told he had cancer, and he now tells his experience to every smoker he meets (the embarrassment I face when we're out together :D )

I don't really like the smoking ban tbh because its encouraging more people to go out and drink which I think is worse (to excessive amount) than smoking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fogger wrote: »
    Yes, lovely post utterly missing the point! Told you it was the anti's MO.

IT'S NOT FOR YOU TO DECIDE. (The point you missed. Again!)

I'll keep repeating it and you keep thinking that you can tell others what to do.

Keep deluding yourself that only your view gets imposed on others whilst their view is fully ok to ignore as only you see fit and dictate.

No, you have missed the point I'm afraid.

I have every right to look at the legislation, then look at the benefits and decide that the law was worthwhile. It is just a common sense conclusion that anyone could draw.

However, if you are playing with some pointless semantics about me supposedly deciding on behalf of everyone that the ban was correct then you are deluding yourself because that is obviously not possible.

I didn't tell anyone what to do, I cannot dictate to anyone. We live in a democracy and that is how the law was formulated and passed, democratically.

This time democracy has worked quite nicely thank you.

Regards,

Lt. Dang

Edit: And yes, I have Children, and that more than entitles me to be pleased for them that this legislation will stand.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member

But not the medical experts here? That says a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member

Regards,

Lt. Dang

but did they use the same formula that Pell did in Scotland?
    i.e. take 12 months figures after the ban and only use the statistics in the months that showed a drop and ignored the months that showed an increase?

heart attack admissions have been steadily declining for years before the smoking ban, so to put the latest decline down to the smoking ban is not entirely honest.

I wonder if the NHS have stopped counting those that only had 1 cigarette 40+ years ago and decided that they didn't like smoking and so didn't go onto being a smoker but when asked if they had ever smoked, admitted to that 1 cigarette, that have since died having a cause of death as being a smoking related death just to support their assumptions?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Looking back on it, I'd have to say the smoking ban helped me quit so perhaps it was a good thing to bring in, although friends in the pub trade say it's definitely hurt their business.

What I do miss though is the banter of the cigarette break and gathering round the back of the building huddled round the one heater to keep warm.

Does anybody else miss this? Where was your smokers corner?
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH has angina even though he has never smoked. He spent years as a lorry driver sitting next to a chain smoker. I'm not saying this is what caused his angina but it could have been.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I thought it took about 10 years for the heart attack risk to decrease in smokers.It seems a tad early to produce figures like this for my liking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, it just makes me stand by the door and smoke all over the exit... make sure all the non smokers have to walk through my clouds..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    No, I quit for myself and personal reasons. If anything a "ban" might
    make me want to do something more, if I were still that childish. :p

But then as someone who has "recovered" from things, in the past, I rapidly lost the illusion that others want me to do so "for my own good". Realistically, and as fairly as possible, it was ALWAYS, to some level, their desire to control me or to "do good". ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But not the medical experts here? That says a lot.

Erm...quick geography lesson.

Europe actually includes the UK.

If you read the article you will see it includes data from studies done in the UK.

Regards,

Lt. Dang
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but did they use the same formula that Pell did in Scotland?
    i.e. take 12 months figures after the ban and only use the statistics in the months that showed a drop and ignored the months that showed an increase?

heart attack admissions have been steadily declining for years before the smoking ban, so to put the latest decline down to the smoking ban is not entirely honest.

I wonder if the NHS have stopped counting those that only had 1 cigarette 40+ years ago and decided that they didn't like smoking and so didn't go onto being a smoker but when asked if they had ever smoked, admitted to that 1 cigarette, that have since died having a cause of death as being a smoking related death just to support their assumptions?

The BBC article says that the figures were taken from a number of studies done in the USA and across Europe.

Therefore, I feel more confident about these figures than just a singloe set of figures from a possibly biased party.

In any event, results from medical studies are always subject to a fairly critical Peer Review.

So I feel pretty happy with the results of the smoking ban since a significant number of lives have been saved.

Regards,

Lt. Dang
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    The few people I know that gave up have put on 2 stone plus - hows that healthy??

Also, I don't remember being asked to vote on it - democracy??
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband stopped smoking at the beginning of this month and so far hasn't given in. He says it would have been impossible to do if there wasn't a smoking ban in public places as the smell would have been too much for him (he only has so much will power!).

So whereas he didn't stop because of the ban, the ban has helped him to give up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The few people I know that gave up have put on 2 stone plus - hows that healthy??

You either voted for, or against, (or did not vote at all), for your MP who had a free vote in the House for this Bill.

That is Democracy.

You also continue to have the right to vote against your MP/Party in the next election if you are unhappy with any legislation passed.

That is Democracy too.

But ultimately this legislation will stay because the majority (mostly non-smokers it seems these days) will want it to stay.

And that is definitely Democracy.

Regards,

Lt. Dang
  • Options
    Lego PigLego Pig Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I quit I put on 4 stone. With the same will power i used to quit smoking I then put to losing 8 stone. So it is all down to personal choices. If you like to smoke, go ahead. I dont care about your health, but to try to make out quitting smoking makes you less healthy is utter poppycock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Lego Pig wrote: »
    When I quit I put on 4 stone. With the same will power i used to quit smoking I then put to losing 8 stone. So it is all down to personal choices. If you like to smoke, go ahead. I dont care about your health, but to try to make out quitting smoking makes you less healthy is utter poppycock.

I didn't actually say that quitting smoking makes you less healthy! The people I know have swapped one vice for another either food or driink - thats all. Good for you tho:)
  • Options
    stupid_cubestupid_cube Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no the ban didnt
    as iam in scotland we had the ban longer
    i only stop smoking as i am almost 40 an wanted 2 get to stop an get fit again in which i have done n stop with no problems
    i am a non smoker of 7 months now an loving it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Not a smoker myself, but I do agree with the ban in public places. Reason being, even if you have a smoking section and a non smoking section, it will still carry. Say you have 20 people in a room and 3 of those are smoking, the room will fill up. Some people who don't smoke can tolerate it, others hate it. I can tolerate.

I think some public places should be able to apply for exemption from the ban. Places for instance that have the resources to pay for a smoking room with extractor fans for instance. If they can provide a sealed off area indoors for smokers, great. If not, then leave it as is.

My best friend smokes, which is fine, she goes out for a puff and I go out sometimes, but more often than not, I stay in. The ban I don't think was about forcing people to stop, just about greater consideration for non-smokers.