Options

Top temperate of -5 for many parts of UK tomorrow!

AdsAds Posts: 37,062
Forum Member
I am gettign absolutely sick of this freezing weather. The last two winters have been freezing, and this one is proving to be even worse! Whatever happened to normal Southern English winters of the occasional cold spell, mixed in with more mild conditions? Admittedly it rained a lot more in these winters, but I prefer rain to snow and ice!

Comments

• Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *wonders when the mods will start a Weather forum* :sleep:
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I blame God.
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesnt bother me.

I am all cosy in my house.
  • Options
    Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. Would be quite a good idea just now.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Would be quite a good idea just now.

Or a summer holidays thread :p
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubusRoo wrote: »
    I blame God.

dont you mean ....

network rail/south eastern railways/gatwick/heathrow/transport minsiter etc etc etc ;):D
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They can't, the "create new forum" button is snowed under
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I am gettign absolutely sick of this freezing weather. The last two winters have been freezing, and this one is proving to be even worse! Whatever happened to normal Southern English winters of the occasional cold spell, mixed in with more mild conditions? Admittedly it rained a lot more in these winters, but I prefer rain to snow and ice!

Where i've lived it's been like this in Winter since I can remember. (The temperature that is, not the snow)

You say it as if it's a surprise part of the UKs Winter climate :confused:
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might be weird but I actually love the colder weather. I love coming into a warm house or pub (there was a nice pub in Wimbledon with a proper open fire which was fun to drink whiskey in front of) from the cold outside. It also makes you appreciate the warmer weather more. The different seasons we have is one thing that makes things great about living in England.

There is nothing better than waking up all warm any cosy in bed of a morning.

It is better than the languid heat of the summer and a lot easier to adapt to. Summer you can't escape the uncomfortable feeling and the odour of sweat.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame global warming.... :p

I drove home from the stables in my part of Wiltshire at -6c around 2:45 today. It's now -7c according to the garden thermometer so I think last nights record of -10c is looking quite vulnerable at the moment. In fact for the first time ever we're having to cover up drinks (coke, lemonade etc...) under our porch as they're beginning to freeze....
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Where i've lived it's been like this in Winter since I can remember. (The temperature that is, not the snow)

You say it as if it's a surprise part of the UKs Winter climate :confused:

Same here, maybe not snow every year but definately freezing temperatures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the snow and the cold BUT...

The ONLY thing my 3 year old has asked for from Santa (he doensnt have a list, this is all he's wanting, of course we are getting him other stuff!) is currently somewhere in the postal system and out of stock all over the country so we can't even risk a drive to get another if it doesnt arrive.

So if all my fellow DS'ers will keep their fingers crossed for me I'd appreciate it :)

OP - do you ever dream of moving to a nice warm country? I occasionally think I'll move to the Caribbean, but I do like the snow usually.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand this behaviour with the weather situation at all.

Snow has been around for many many years. The way the weather forecasters are carrying on you'd be forgiven for thinking that snow was the greatest (or not) invention of 2010. Do they believe that emphasising dramatically that it's COLD, or SIGNIFICANT HEAVY SNOWFALL and BITTERLY BITTERLY COLD will actually make us care more?

It's winter. We've had them before and yes, will have them again.

Shocking eh?:eek:

All this stressing to only drive if it's absolutley essential, then you see everyone stuck in traffic jams caused by the snow... moaning about it!?!:rolleyes: You knew it was coming, was warned not to drive in it, you did, you deserve what you get.

I think if the government isn't going to heavily invest (and I can understand the reasons why) then we should adopt a reactive approach and simply make it LAW that driving in snow is illegal. That way you won't HAVE to go to work as your boss would be making you break the law. You wouldn't HAVE to go shopping as none of the shops would be open.

Think how many lives would be saved...

Fail in that... Just get on with it. They did in the WINTER OF 1963, 1947 AND COUNTLESS OTHERS.
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is normal. It's Winter. It's been unseasonally mild for many years.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it's still Autumn, and it's now -8c outside..... :eek:
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »

You're right, Winter starts on 21st I think. (So it's as good as really)
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The winters we are having now, are what my parents considered the norm when they were kids.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not got above -13C in many places today. - 5C is quite reasonable !!!
  • Options
    ~Polecat~~Polecat~ Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Well we drove to family on Friday in Bucks and it hit -11.5!!! I slept in tights, leggings, t-shirt, jumper and 2 pairs of socks!! I woke at 5.40am cos I was freezing!!! Now that is cold!!

Anyway come home back North now and it is much warmer :D I don't mind this cold weather so long as I can get cosy warm!! It is winter afterall.
  • Options
    tojoxjtojoxj Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    So if you've no place to go
    LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW!
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying it.:)
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to be fun for me tomorrow...I have 3 broken down cars to look at, all of them outside....nice :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how winter should be in this country so zip it
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »

Ha ha I actually remember thinking that when we had the last lot, 2 weeks ago:D You just wait till WINTER comes:eek::D
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I might be weird but I actually love the colder weather. I love coming into a warm house or pub (there was a nice pub in Wimbledon with a proper open fire which was fun to drink whiskey in front of) from the cold outside. It also makes you appreciate the warmer weather more. The different seasons we have is one thing that makes things great about living in England.

There is nothing better than waking up all warm any cosy in bed of a morning.

It is better than the languid heat of the summer and a lot easier to adapt to. Summer you can't escape the uncomfortable feeling and the odour of sweat.

Whch pub? I know Wimbledon well...