Anyone else suffering from bad flu?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colds and flu are so easy to catch it's not something you can try to avoid :( It wouldn't be so bad but last time I had a flu jab (I'm healthy just at risk working on a hospital ward) I had the worst flu I've ever had in my life and I tell you that put me off those jabs for life.

I don't know about anybody else but if I have a blocked/runny nose and my head feels like cotton wool I'd assume it was just a cold. It's when I get badly aching limbs, sore throat, headache, neck ache, feeling like I'm freezing and can't stop shivering (high temperature) and sinus pain I know I've got flu. For me, there's quite a difference between having a cold and having flu! It doesn't stop me getting up and moving about though, just stops me wanting to because you think you feel better if you stay in bed. I have a high pain threshold though, maybe it's agony for people that don't, I don't know!

We have 3 people with swine flu on the ward at present :( It's terrible for them.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    how judgemental of you!! I was in bed suffering for 3 days without getting up, washing, eating and/or able to hold a conversation. NOW (almost a week later) i have a head cold and i'm back at work and functioning but gee thanks for your concern and advice!! I really hope your 'flu' is just around the corner :rolleyes:

Sorry that wasn't very nice. Wishing ill upon people. I wasn't necessarily getting at you personally, I was just stating a fact (and I am a nurse) that when people have the flu they usually feel extremely ill and can hardly move. Just trying to put it in to perspective that's all. Hope you are feeling better now and remember, get the flu jab next year ;)
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    One one my pet peeves is people saying they have the "flu" when they just have a cold. There is a world of difference between the two.

If you are able to function fairly normally but feel a bit rough then you have a cold. If you don't have the stength to get our of bed then it's the flu.

The last time I had the flu I was in bed for 3 days and the only think I could eat or drink was water. It's a very effective way to lose weight but the hallucinations were very freaky.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This !!!!
    I had Flu last year and was in Bed for 5days ,i was so weak i couldn't even go to toilet by myself ,my Husband had to carry me:o

Then just as i was recovering due to having a very low immune system a bout a week later i got Swine Flu:eek:,which made me really ill:cry:and ended up in Bed for about 2 weeks ,before i could even get up ,just wishing i could die:o the pain was that bad:eek:

So like you ,it pees me right off when people say they've got Flu ,when it's only a heavy cold:mad:If you can get out of bed and have the energy to do anything then you DO NOT have Flu :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though I'm better, I can still feel it in my system and have a lingering cough/achy chest.

Whether people have the cold version or the flu version or a combination of both, this is a really nasty virus. I think everyone getting their knickers in a twist over the technicalities of colds vs flu should grow up. Our immune systems are not all the same and we don't all respond the same way to things - how many friggin' times does this need to be said? Quite a few people have said it now, and given very detailed reasons to back up their posts, but people seem to be intent on turning this into some sort of more ill/tougher than thou pissing contest and my God is it tedious.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Even though I'm better, I can still feel it in my system and have a lingering cough/achy chest.

Whether people have the cold version or the flu version or a combination of both, this is a really nasty virus. I think everyone getting their knickers in a twist over the technicalities of colds vs flu should grow up. Our immune systems are not all the same and we don't all respond the same way to things - how many friggin' times does this need to be said? Quite a few people have said it now, and given very detailed reasons to back up their posts, but people seem to be intent on turning this into some sort of more ill/tougher than thou pissing contest and my God is it tedious.

Exactly!

5 days I've been ill now, and it's getting worse. I have no idea whether it's the flu (although I didn't have the energy to get out of bed yesterday, so that means it is, right? :p) but I'm going back to the docs later so hopefully they can shed some light on it. Paracetemol, which is all they could suggest on Thursday, has done absolutely nothing to help. My right ear is so painful, and my cough is getting worse, and I now have a cold on top of it all which I didn't have on Saturday.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Exactly!

5 days I've been ill now, and it's getting worse. I have no idea whether it's the flu (although I didn't have the energy to get out of bed yesterday, so that means it is, right? :p) but I'm going back to the docs later so hopefully they can shed some light on it. Paracetemol, which is all they could suggest on Thursday, has done absolutely nothing to help. My right ear is so painful, and my cough is getting worse, and I now have a cold on top of it all which I didn't have on Saturday.

Even if it's flu, the doctor will not be able to give you anything. Surgeries are cluttered up with people turning up with coughs and colds that there is no remedy for, all they do is spread there germs to other people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it's flu, the doctor will not be able to give you anything. Surgeries are cluttered up with people turning up with coughs and colds that there is no remedy for, all they do is spread there germs to other people.

Well, if I spread my germs to other people and clutter up the surgery then so be it. I have explained to the surgery what is wrong, and considering the doctor told me to come back if it gets worse, the fact that they have specially arranged me an appointment during the sit and wait surgery suggests it's something other than just a simple cough/cold.

And you don't know whether it is just a cough or cold. I've had coughs and colds, this isn't your average cough or cold. So again, there's no need to judge me, which is what so many are doing to others in this thread :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if I spread my germs to other people and clutter up the surgery then so be it. I have explained to the surgery what is wrong, and considering the doctor told me to come back if it gets worse, the fact that they have specially arranged me an appointment during the sit and wait surgery suggests it's something other than just a simple cough/cold.

And you don't know whether it is just a cough or cold. I've had coughs and colds, this isn't your average cough or cold. So again, there's no need to judge me, which is what so many are doing to others in this thread :roleyes:
    It's just a forum, why do you care if people judge? They don't know you in real life?
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    (In my experience) if you have flu then you simply wouldn't be able to get to the Dr's for a diagnosis. Back in the day I had a Dr come out on a house visit to confirm I had it :o

Granted there are different types of flu but anyone I know that's ever had "flu" has not been walking about.

Ditto, had it once and pray to goodness never again, thought I was dying for the first week, wished I had for the second I felt so bad. Not a chance I'd be online/watching tv etc,

I've had some pretty horrible colds since then, but nothing like the flu, that was something else entirely
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just a forum, why do you care if people judge?

Because people thinking we all have the same immune systems and react to the same viriuses in the same way is stupid?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because people thinking we all have the same immune systems and react to the same viriuses in the same way is stupid?

I don't think anyone has said that, but as I said, there is nothing the GP can prescribe for a cold or flu so turning up there is a waste of the GP's resources and, one might argue, equally as stupid as presuming everyones immune systems are the same, especially when you risk infecting others including small children and babies. Sadly this is far too common an occurance.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I agree with the poster who says everyones tolerance levels are different..

It also depends on circumstances..my husband was ill in bed with flu for 5 days last week..he HAD to go to the Doctors as he has low white blood cells so cant fight anything off himself..Doctor confirmed flu gave him antibiotics,he came home went straight back to bed exhausted..My two teenage sons,my 3 year old and myself all have had the same flu symptoms.one teenage son completely wiped out in bed,one teenage son in bed for an extra 6 hours to normal then up and about..although still looking ill,my 3 year old had a full 9 days ill with nothing to eat for all that time..just drinks..still isnt 100% back on food..and me..well I had 4 hours sleep then youngest one started,husband came home ill and I have had to be the one getting drinks,cleaning up sick,toilets etc..I didnt feel well at all and could have just put my head down and slept like the rest of them..but in my mind was a little 3 year old who was really suffering..have I had flu?..yes I have..could I get up and walk around..not really but had no choice but to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like my poor mum is catching it now - she's been shopping and was feeling a bit poorly anyway but she looks and sounds awful now. She's described the "knives in the throat" feeling that most of us here seem to have gone through. So it looks like she's going to be ill right in time for Christmas.

Luckily, I'm well enough to take over any shopping duties and whatever around the house she usually does so she can just take it easy.

This is a really rotten cold/bug isn't it? Everyone is getting it/has had it. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone has said that, but as I said, there is nothing the GP can prescribe for a cold or flu so turning up there is a waste of the GP's resources and, one might argue, equally as stupid as presuming everyones immune systems are the same, especially when you risk infecting others including small children and babies. Sadly this is far too common an occurance.

I agree that going to the doctor's with this is pointless. There's nothing they can do and going out will just make most people feel worse. It's best for everyone to stay at home when possible and rest if off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a forum, why do you care if people judge? They don't know you in real life?

Because judging people when you don't know all the facts is stupid, and when I'm the one being judged it's annoying.

And you said you don't know me, so why are you even judging me?
    I agree that going to the doctor's with this is pointless. There's nothing they can do and going out will just make most people feel worse. It's best for everyone to stay at home when possible and rest if off.

I wouldn't be going back if the doctor didn't tell me to, but he did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be going back if the doctor didn't tell me to, but he did.

Fair enough - obviously, there will be SOME cases where people will genuinely need to see a doctor. We shouldn't forget that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets all have a competiton to decide who had the worst 'flu' !!! Honestly , the one-up-manship on this forum sometimes does my head in! (queue a post saying "dont come on here then")
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I think I must have won, my nose fell off on Sunday afternoon :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough - obviously, there will be SOME cases where people will genuinely need to see a doctor. We shouldn't forget that.

I hope I didn't come across as rude when I replied to you? If I did, I apologise :)
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cah wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This !!!!
    I had Flu last year and was in Bed for 5days ,i was so weak i couldn't even go to toilet by myself ,my Husband had to carry me:o

Then just as i was recovering due to having a very low immune system a bout a week later i got Swine Flu:eek:,which made me really ill:cry:and ended up in Bed for about 2 weeks ,before i could even get up ,just wishing i could die:o the pain was that bad:eek:

So like you ,it pees me right off when people say they've got Flu ,when it's only a heavy cold:mad:If you can get out of bed and have the energy to do anything then you DO NOT have Flu :mad:

Oh right I will have to tell my Dr, the hospital and the technician who did my blood tests that they were all wrong and I didn't have flu or pneumonia because DS says I wasn't sick enough as I could get out of bed albeit with difficulty. No more need for Drs and blood test because this forum has developed a fail proof test for flu:rolleyes:

I feel sorry for mums of little ones as they have no choice but to get up and look after their kids even when they feel like hell - must mean they never get flu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I must have won, my nose fell off on Sunday afternoon :(

No, thats not a sign of flu because only your nose fell off not your whole head:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cah wrote: »

I must have peed you right off then. I just about had the energy to get along to the doctors, and guess what? Turns out I've got flu, and possibly a secondary bacterial infection to go along with it.

The only good thing about all of this is that I work at Next, and it looks like I won't be able to work the sale. Oh no!! :D Although, I'd actually prefer to do that then be ill!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natgar wrote: »
    [/B]

Oh right I will have to tell my Dr, the hospital and the technician who did my blood tests that they were all wrong and I didn't have flu or pneumonia because DS says I wasn't sick enough as I could get out of bed albeit with difficulty. No more need for Drs and blood test because this forum has developed a fail proof test for flu:rolleyes:

I feel sorry for mums of little ones as they have no choice but to get up and look after their kids even when they feel like hell - must mean they never get flu.

I'll have to do the same thing, unfortunately. :( According to my doctor it was 'flu, but because I could get out of bed, she was clearly wrong. Who needs a medical license when you can post on DS?

I would have loved to have stayed in bed all week but unfortunately I had assignments due in at university so I had to literally drag myself out of bed (when I say literally, I do mean literally!) to hand them in. I still have a hacking cough with phlegm over a week later and my sinuses are still blocked and smell horrible. But at least I now know my doctor was wrong and I was just overreacting. Thanks, DS! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are not sure if its a cold or flu why don't you use http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/interactivetests/coldorflu.php?mode=go
    although I cannot attest to its reliability because although its a medical symptom checker it does not mention 'not being able to get out of bed at all' as a clear flu indication. So perhaps its better to stick to the DS check/:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll have to do the same thing, unfortunately. :( According to my doctor it was 'flu, but because I could get out of bed, she was clearly wrong. Who needs a medical license when you can post on DS?

I would have loved to have stayed in bed all week but unfortunately I had assignments due in at university so I had to literally drag myself out of bed (when I say literally, I do mean literally!) to hand them in. I still have a hacking cough with phlegm over a week later and my sinuses are still blocked and smell horrible. But at least I now know my doctor was wrong and I was just overreacting. Thanks, DS! :D

Well why ask on here when you know FM's aren't medically qualified? If you're that concerned you should go straight to the doctor, not bother with the lay folk of ds.