Options

Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    This being the format that sent BTCC into the doldrums some years back? Only just now getting back to decent sized grids of roughly same spec cars now after running a twin spec series.

3 car teams would give far too many opportunities for letting teammates past and less wheel to wheel racing.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin Magnussen seriously must stop moving in the braking zone when defending positions.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    What if he is braking later than the guy behind (who is going faster in the tow) so he moves after the chaser's braking point but before his own braking point?
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Perry does a reasonable job in what is a fairly tough presenting job.

It's Croft I'm starting to find unbearable now. His irritating faux excitement aside, the number of errors he made yesterday was inexcusable. To confuse Rosberg and Hamilton on the first lap was just plain embarrassing.

Much prefer Ben Edwards' commentary. Brundle is the only reason I veer on occasions to Sky for the race .

Although I do prefer the BBC's presentation, I am a little underwhelmed by Suzy Perry, she needs to relax a little and stop strangling that microphone. I find DC to be a mine of in-race analysis and Eddie is, well....just Eddie. :D But the loss of Jake Humphreys was what killed a dream team.

Having seen Susie Wolff on Sky, I would suggest that the BBC employ her in Perry's place as soon as possible. She has confidence, experience and connections. Everything that a good sports presenter needs.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    What if he is braking later than the guy behind (who is going faster in the tow) so he moves after the chaser's braking point but before his own braking point?

Seems that the litmus test for it, now, is whether or not a following driver can reasonably be expected to take avoiding action when the lead car moves.

Not sure if that's linked to an actual rule out of the Sporting Reg's but Coulthard was saying that's how they judge it, and an example of where the driver's steward gets his say.

TBH, I still take the view that it should be up to the following driver to wrong-foot the lead car and then take advantage.
    Perhaps DR could give lessons on this, if any of the other drivers need them? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

TBH, I still take the view that it should be up to the following driver to wrong-foot the lead car and then take advantage.
    Perhaps DR could give lessons on this, if any of the other drivers need them? :D

I must admit with the first big dummy DR pulled on Sunday, he had me totally dummied on my sofa. What ? How ? Where ? I needed a replay to make some sense of it !
  • Options
    Forza FerrariForza Ferrari Posts: 7,433
    Forum Member
    Well I've read a lot of stuff saying that Hamilton's pass of Rosberg was fake and under the counter Mercedes team orders to keep Hamilton happy.

The thing is that it wouldn't be the only wave through Hamilton had at Monza. Sundays race really died with Massa deciding not to race Hamilton. Williams cleary just wanted a bundle of point but more so not to annoy their engine supplier mercedes.

It's a clear demonstration of how F1 drivers are motivated by factors other than racing on the track and how detrimental it is to the spectacle of the sport. The whole lead up to Sundays race was that the Williams were going to push Mercedes during the GP. When it came to it williams were not interested in getting involved. Then it back to counting fuel consumption.

Wither the lead change was fake is hard to tell. Rosberg cleary has a propensity to take to escape roads early but I find it hard to believe that such a thinking driver elects to do so when he knows it will cost him the race lead.

The first time looked kind of genuine some lock up and you can understand rosberg not wanting to damage the tyres. On the second occasion I'm not sure there was any tyre smoke at all. Rosberg didn't appear to try and get through the run off quickly maintain poition and slow down later in the sector like he did before. I am pretty sure even with such a minor braking error rosberg could have got in to the corner. Doing a scruffy line could have even balked hamilton on the apex.

I think rosberg gave up and let hamilton have the win. It's only a case of why he did this. Mercedes appeared to think something was planned to develop towards the end of the Gp. Hard to say what it was supposed to be but the whole GP now feels a bit contrived.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I must admit with the first big dummy DR pulled on Sunday, he had me totally dummied on my sofa. What ? How ? Where ? I needed a replay to make some sense of it !

I thin Ben Edwards said it was, "Pulling a Mansell." :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Kevin Magnussen seriously must stop moving in the braking zone when defending positions.

Yeah good to see him get a penalty again. I hope some more serious action taken against him if he continues to do these sorts of things.

It is reported his team principle is not giving him any correction and so somebody needs to teach him.

Funny once again that Martin Brundle thinks the manouver is fine because of who made it. Once again the race stewards completely disagree.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Brundle wants to see hard but fair racing between drivers and the stewards are supposed to be being a bit more lenient. I thought a 5 second penalty was about right for this infringement and personally I thought his penalty at the last race was a bit unfair. Magnussen himself said he agreed with it though so fair enough. I'm not sure why you think Brundle made the comment because of who the driver was, though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's quite obvious Brundle decides driving standards based on bias.

Also his observation is poor he didn't even think the other car was along side it clearly was. He still appears to beleive in some sort of needing to be half way onlong the car rule. No such rule exists.

He makes statements to the oposite of his own claims. For instance he said that giving Magnussen a penalty is hardy promoting over taking. This is wrong as Magnussen is the driver being over taken. Stopping drivers like him over defending and pushing other cars off track is good for racing and overtacking.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Both times I did think that Rosberg could have made the corner, he would just have gone in very deep and compromised his exit but for what ever reason he was incredibly risk-averse. Perhaps he's now decided that the law of averages suggest Hamilton won't win every race so he can afford to just trundle around in second and still win the championship?....
    With 6 races left Nico can start to have one eye on managing the points gap between him and Lewis, and afford a second place every othe race rather than first, including the last double pointer in Abu Dhabi. If Lewis wins 4 out of the last 6 races including the double pointer and comes second in the other 2, he still needs Nico to have a DNF or low points scoring race rather than second places to take the title.

If Lewis has one more DNF then it will be very hard for him to catch his team mate unless of course Nico has a run of bad luck as well. The oods appear to favour Nico at present.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I thin Ben Edwards said it was, "Pulling a Mansell." :D

DR is simply stunning. On paper it looks really impressive when you compare his results to 4 x WDC SV but in the flesh so to speak he is incredible - an out and out racer, gentleman and so exciting to watch, shame that the Red Bull and more so the Ferrari aren't up to it - Alonso v Hamilton v Ricciardo would be cracking..
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Following discussions at an F1 Strategy Group meeting at the Italian Grand Prix, it is understood a number of teams have asked the FIA to find a way of banning certain types of radio communications.."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115776
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Well I've read a lot of stuff saying that Hamilton's pass of Rosberg was fake and under the counter Mercedes team orders to keep Hamilton happy.

The thing is that it wouldn't be the only wave through Hamilton had at Monza. Sundays race really died with Massa deciding not to race Hamilton. Williams cleary just wanted a bundle of point but more so not to annoy their engine supplier mercedes.

It's a clear demonstration of how F1 drivers are motivated by factors other than racing on the track and how detrimental it is to the spectacle of the sport. The whole lead up to Sundays race was that the Williams were going to push Mercedes during the GP. When it came to it williams were not interested in getting involved. Then it back to counting fuel consumption.

Wither the lead change was fake is hard to tell. Rosberg cleary has a propensity to take to escape roads early but I find it hard to believe that such a thinking driver elects to do so when he knows it will cost him the race lead.

The first time looked kind of genuine some lock up and you can understand rosberg not wanting to damage the tyres. On the second occasion I'm not sure there was any tyre smoke at all. Rosberg didn't appear to try and get through the run off quickly maintain poition and slow down later in the sector like he did before. I am pretty sure even with such a minor braking error rosberg could have got in to the corner. Doing a scruffy line could have even balked hamilton on the apex.

I think rosberg gave up and let hamilton have the win. It's only a case of why he did this. Mercedes appeared to think something was planned to develop towards the end of the Gp. Hard to say what it was supposed to be but the whole GP now feels a bit contrived.

I'd say Williams race tactics had little at all to do with Hamilton other than Massa recognising he was clearly quicker nor anything to do with keeping in with Mercedes. More tosh IMHO.

I reckon that Williams will rightly be pretty happy with their weekend. They didn't have the race pace of Mercedes, but maximised the points then available and overtook Ferrari in the constructors championship.

For quite a number of reasons Massa had a mission on Sunday to get on the podium, eg. all his bad luck, not been on the podium before this year and back in Italy. It is entirely understandable that when Hamilton had closed in relatively quickly Massa did not fight him at the chicane, and he would only have delayed what certainly looked inevitable anyway. He was playing safe for himself and his team and good luck to him. As for Bottas, he appeared to do all he could after a poor start and never was really in competition with the Mercedes cars.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    Oh FFS...get your head out for you backside for just one moment. Even if there was going to be a SC, there was no way the car was in any shape to make any significant passes. Hamilton knew it because he was driving the dammed thing. He didn't want to give up - he realized the race had been lost and wanted to preserve what little equipment he has left for the rest of the season.

Are you really so blinded by your dislike that you can't see the logic in trying to save an engine when there are only five complete units for the season and a brand new one has been gutted by fire?

There's "never give up" and then there's "live to fight another day".

I will take my head out of my backside, just as soon as you take yours out of Hamiltons backside. Deal?

We will have to agree to disagree. If I am blinded by my dislike, you are blinded by your support of Hamilton.

BinaryDad wrote: »
    Oh well done. The " u disagree wid me den u r stooopid" defense.. What a moronic argument for you, hell for anybody with a few functioning brain cells, to make. As if somehow, you are the holder of all true knowledge and anybody who says otherwise is wrong. What a load of BS.

I am not calling people stupid, if they dont agree with me. So dont put fing words into my mouth. You obviously have issues. If any one is being moronic, its you....deal with it.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just broke on the News, Michael Schumacher is to leave hospital for home, still has a long way to go, but good news :)
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must admit, I used to really, really, like listening to Crofty when he did the 5 Live FP broadcasts.
    It just seems like, since he moved to Sky, somebody's told him to turn up the razzle-dazzle to 11.

Must admit, I only watch F1 on Sky when there's no BBC coverage and, completely by accident, I've missed most of the pre-shows this year.
    Besides, when it comes to smarminess, Simon Lazenby is neck and neck with Jake Humphrey so that's an incentive to stay away until Brundle and Crofty take over the commentary.
    I used to like Damon the way he was, although most people seemed to moan about him, so I hope they haven't forced him and Johnny to become some kind of "grumpy old men" double-act.

Agree with most of what you have said there. Crofty is way OTT. He does get very loud on occassions. The whole sky coverage has become very Hamilton biased so I dont bother with the before and after shows anymore. Although I do listen to Teds notebook and watch Brundles gridwalk. Brundle is usually fair and gives a unbiased assessment of a situation.

Hill and Herbert are just two clowns that they keep around for some reason. Surly there must be better people out there to do their job.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    With 6 races left Nico can start to have one eye on managing the points gap between him and Lewis, and afford a second place every othe race rather than first, including the last double pointer in Abu Dhabi. If Lewis wins 4 out of the last 6 races including the double pointer and comes second in the other 2, he still needs Nico to have a DNF or low points scoring race rather than second places to take the title.

If Lewis has one more DNF then it will be very hard for him to catch his team mate unless of course Nico has a run of bad luck as well. The oods appear to favour Nico at present.

What makes it even worse for Hamilton, is that if any of the other drivers grab a win, and that has happened a few times, that further reduces Hamilton's possibility of making up points on Rosberg even if he beats Rosberg by 1, 2 or 3 places in every race. The odds are against him.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mercedes have got to be the worst managed team in history. Summoning Hamilton back from a break after Spa for a meeting, only to be told to go and race! What secret couldn't be trusted over Skype or other communication. Maybe that repayment for the incident would be guaranteed should he not find himself ahead.

Then the poor attempt to suggest what was and wasn't said or inferred in interviews immediately post Spa. They must think we numpties or empty headed.

Now apparently Rosberg had to be reminded not to brake too heavy and flat spot his tyre causing an unnecessary pit stop.! It painted a picture not to questioned as had obvious team orders in the past elsewhere.

It seems everyone is now happy and justice delivered, perhaps real racing can return.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Just broke on the News, Michael Schumacher is to leave hospital for home, still has a long way to go, but good news :)

Was just going to post about this, lovely news to hear that isn't about some bint up the duff. Love him or hate him, the man is a legend, really hope that he continues to make a good recovery at home.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    dansus wrote: »
    "Following discussions at an F1 Strategy Group meeting at the Italian Grand Prix, it is understood a number of teams have asked the FIA to find a way of banning certain types of radio communications.."
    Like team orders not something that can be effectively policed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Agree with most of what you have said there. Crofty is way OTT. He does get very loud on occassions. The whole sky coverage has become very Hamilton biased so I dont bother with the before and after shows anymore. Although I do listen to Teds notebook and watch Brundles gridwalk. Brundle is usually fair and gives a unbiased assessment of a situation.

Hill and Herbert are just two clowns that they keep around for some reason. Surly there must be better people out there to do their job.

Think you're being incredibly unfair to Hill & Herbert. I'm not sure who else they could get anyway? Assuming the prerequisites are that they are former British F1 drivers, ideally with wins and more than just a couple of seasons of experience. Mansell perhaps, or maybe Eddie Irvine? Now that would be a pair to watch... The one issue I do have is the lack of punditry from someone who's has recent (last decade) experience in F1 at the sharp end of the grid. That might well be corrected next season if JB becomes available.

I agree that Sky have an obvious bias towards the British drivers... can't think why that might be?

Actually, though, Hill had the temerity to support Rosberg over the weekend, suggesting that in his view while Rosberg was obviously at fault and made a mistake Hamilton could have given Rosberg more room without necessarily sacrificing the lead.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    When people say it's great news that Schumacher is going home they make it sound like he's going home to recover watching tv and lounging about in bed, rather than going home to the highly specalised unit that is probably more advanced than the hospital he is in.

People can read it as good news but for me it doesn't sound like he's going home because his condition has progressed, in fact what isn't being said is more telling to me than anything, sounds like there has been not much progress at all with him for months.

I was a fan of Schumacher even when he was racing so it would be great to think he'll make some sort of recovery but I can't help feel that if his condition had improved we would know about it, we would get some sort of update rather than the carefully worded updates we get now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    When people say it's great news that Schumacher is going home they make it sound like he's going home to recover watching tv and lounging about in bed, rather than going home to the highly specalised unit that is probably more advanced than the hospital he is in.

People can read it as good news but for me it doesn't sound like he's going home because his condition has progressed, in fact what isn't being said is more telling to me than anything, sounds like there has been not much progress at all with him for months.

I was a fan of Schumacher even when he was racing so it would be great to think he'll make some sort of recovery but I can't help feel that if his condition had improved we would know about it, we would get some sort of update rather than the carefully worded updates we get now.

Agree, the total lack of actual information is the most telling factor. I'm not sure he's ever going to recover to the point where he'll return to public life. It might be that they are being incredibly cautious with his recovery, who knows, but I would have thought they would have given some positive news if there was some, such as an official photo of him sitting up in bed.