Options

You win the lottery - what would you do about work?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    How long des a couple of million quid last these days?

It seems that telling th boss and company where to stick it is the most popular answer here, I'd try not to let on (otherwise I'd find myself a lot more popular). But I'd come in brandishing the flashiest mobile phone I can get my hands on and buy the odd crate of Kronenbourg 1664 and get taxis home often on a regular basis. Oh, yeah. Buy certain other staff a brain and some common sense and a min of their own and the ability to think for themselves instead of what their masters at head office tell them to think all the time.

But as for myself:-
    my first purchase'd be a PROPPER lappy and printer
    Yearly prescription
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    God, the thought of having a bank account with 100 odd million in it. Work? Hahahaaahahahahah you must be mad, I would have the first most expensive flight to Monte Carlo. Always wanted to go there and live it up amongst the rich. Stay there for a few months or whatever takes my fancy, no strict plans just live everyday. I'd of course need to spend some time looking for a suitably large mansion and a number of other mansions in various countries scattered round the world. Then I'd need to hire my staff, the live in maid, the chauffeur, the butler and chef. I'd buy the chauffeur a Bentley or Rolls Royce to take me in.

Oh and of course I'd buy my corporate box at Anfield.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give them the 3 months notice that I've agreed to in my stock option agreement. I don't have any complaints about my employer and don't see any reason to burn bridges or leave a lot of loose ends at the end of my career.

A long period of notice also serves the dual purpose that it would make it easier to conceal winning, if I claim the jackpot with a blind trust rather than in my own name. If I were to just quit the next day that's what everyone would be expecting, and it would be fairly obvious what happened when the news reported that someone local won.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about this earlier, and was all "I just wouldn't turn up ever again."

But then I thought about the team I manage and wouldn't like to leave them struggling, so I'd probably work my notice out of respect for them. However, I'd enjoy indulging in pointing out some home truths to certain individuals during that period that could potentially get me sacked now.

I wouldn't given a reason for leaving either.

I'd like to part on amicable terms, so I would work out my notice period and then go my separate way. If I really liked the job and was very well paid, I might continue to work. Why not. Perhaps on a part time basis or from home.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I'd have no hesitation in just not going back. I work with a couple of younger people who are a pair of lazy buggers, if we have a busy start to the day you can guarantee they'll be late "the alarm didn't go off" "I couldn't find a parking space". Then when I've done my job and theirs, they'll come swanning in (funny how people from opposite sides of town and different excuses can both be late by the same amount of time).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then when I've done my job and theirs, they'll come swanning in (funny how people from opposite sides of town and different excuses can both be late by the same amount of time).

Maybe they're banging each other and in reality are departing from the same place.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending on the size of the win, I might buy them out.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Maybe they're banging each other and in reality are departing from the same place.

Well, they do seem to spend a lot of time together, can't seem to do any jobs on their own :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, they do seem to spend a lot of time together, can't seem to do any jobs on their own :)

If it were me, I wouldn't do their work on their behalf.

And if what I said was really happening, you could have a few laughs at their expense when they roll in late.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd work my notice (or until the end of the contract, which is up in February).

Wouldn't feel right leaving them in the lurch.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Do you really think the winnings would be in your account that quickly?

People tend to think of all the stuff they can buy and how great life will be with millions in the bank but they forget about the things they can't change or fail to see any issues that my arise because of their sudden wealth.

Do people think that rich people have no problems or issues?
    I bet you are the life and soul at parties!

It's a fun "what would you do if" thread, FFS! They are few and far between on here these days!

Wallow in your misery elsewhere!
    I work with a bloke and he's the most miserable person I've ever encountered. He could win £100 Million and would moan about the £1 he had to spend in order for the win to happen
    That "bloke" is you, isn't it?
  • Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have a few 'sickie' days off, swan in with lavishly expensive gifts for the few that I liked (but not trusted). Should they 'brown-nosely' refuse to accept them, well, it would just confirm the cronyism I had always suspected. The jobs this bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd work a bit of notice before setting up my own business - I'd probably spend six months a year in the UK working and the other six months having holidays, etc. If the win was >£50m, I'd give a big chunk of it to my current employer, which is a charity.

The thought of never having to work again sounds horrible.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably give some money to the 3 people I only like there then walk out lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People tend to think of all the stuff they can buy and how great life will be with millions in the bank but they forget about the things they can't change or fail to see any issues that my arise because of their sudden wealth.

Do people think that rich people have no problems or issues?

Most of the wealthy people I've met have been tighter than a duck's arse, when it comes to spending money. That's probably why they are so wealthy.

A former guy at work spent the best part of two weeks trying to get a good deal on a lease car, using company time to make numerous lengthy phone calls (FOC) and he was earning £60/hour.

That's over 100k/year on a standard 37 hours/week and he was working outside of London. Welwyn Garden City to be precise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go in just to tell my boss where he could shove his " I'm the king and you're my peasant" attitude.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worrying that quite a few responses suggest that the second people win big on the lottery, they'd become rude gobshites...that'll bode well for their futures!
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about this earlier, and was all "I just wouldn't turn up ever again."

But then I thought about the team I manage and wouldn't like to leave them struggling, so I'd probably work my notice out of respect for them. However, I'd enjoy indulging in pointing out some home truths to certain individuals during that period that could potentially get me sacked now.

I wouldn't given a reason for leaving either.
    I'd be completely torn over what to do, and it'd depend on how big the amount was....

I'd hate to let the main boss down as he's usually been fair to me, so for that I'd probably give notice and help train up someone else, but the actual office manager I can't stand, so I'd probably walk out just to be a pain to the office manager!

I'd give handouts to my colleagues, and would derive even greater pleasure to make him aware that he's being left out of the bounty, for the reason that he's been such a bastard.

On the other hand, I don't know whether I'd get bored for the next fifty years not working....
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I'd carry on working. Staying at home would bore me rigid.

Blimey, no imagination!
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd carry on working. Staying at home would bore me rigid.
    If I had all that money I wouldn't be staying at home lol. I'd go traveling which is what I've always wanted to do. Eventually go back to work, maybe part time.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I am currently unemployed I would take great delight in going to the Job Centre, walking through the door and shouting "Can I have your attention please. I've won the lottery, so stick your £72 a week up yer arses" and would then rip up my JSA book and walk out again.:D

I like your style! However, rather than telling the Jobcentre staff where to stick their £72 a week I would send my ripped up JSA book directly to the Chancellor of the Exchequer or Prime Minister (especially if the Tories were in power) and tell them where to shove it.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    For the ones who said they would carry on working to give them something to do wouldn't it be best to do voluntary work and let that job go to someone who needs the money.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep going until I'd sorted out what to do with my winnings. I'd split it up into maybe half a dozen accounts. I don't think I'd change my lifestyle much. I'd just carry on as normal, knowing that I don't need to worry about my finances.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm shortly to come to the end of a maternity role contract which I have been employed in since May and unless any alternative employment arises between now and the beginning of February I am likely to be back on the dole.

I don't play the lottery on a regular basis but if I were to have a go on, say, the Euromillions and won a multi rollover jackpot (i.e. in excess of £100 million), after sharing some of the money with my family and donating to various animal charities and my local foodbank, I would probably purchase a large building in my local community and set about organising various social events for single people who, like me, live alone (especially those people who are in the 50 and over age group and have little/no social life and no friends/family living locally).
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    I'd keep working there to be honest.