Shirley/Dean Unlikable Buster however....

ekim316ekim316 Posts: 1,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Shirley and Dean are unlikable and beyond redemption However Buster is a really likable character and has really grown on me.

Comments

• HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is finally getting some character development, after months of being a side man.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like buster

Dean is an interesring and complex character wjoch makes him interestinf but as a human being he is a horrible man who deserves some punishment.

Shirley - im just sick if the sight of her. I get where shes coming from on certain points
    (not all of them though) but in sick of dtc turning alot of storylines about shirley.
    Phil and sharon...shabnams daughter...lidna rape all became shirley based. Send her away for a year or for good or demote/remove dtc.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I hated Buster a few weeks ago, he was vile. But there's been a sudden huge turnaround. He seems to have become the voice of reason and a fair minded, caring man who wants the best for everyone.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both are horrendous people but Dean the rapist showed tonight he was capable of listening to Buster and putting his daughter first, Shirley couldn't even do that!

Buster seems lovely and Shirley and Dean don't deserve him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    cant stand em
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buster is brilliant.
  • Happy_MummyHappy_Mummy Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Buster too. I think they've made a mistake making Dean a rapist. They should have just stuck with this storyline about being a dad to Jade. It's weird because we all know he's a rapist, but then there are these scenes where I see a vulnerable and good side to him and for a minute I almost feel sorry for him and forget that he raped Linda and then suddenly I have to slap myself and tell myself don't feel sorry for him, he's a rapist! It's really annoying!!
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's amazing isn't it!

Like Donna, Buster started out really badly in my eyes. Obnoxious, very similar to Shirley in some ways. Both Donna and Buster have gone up in my estimation recently.

In these last few episodes, he has been showing a more critical and aware side. He isn't wearing rose tinted specs like Shirley is, regarding Dean. He definitely recognises that his son has deep flaws and I think with more digging he might find out what Dean did to Linda. I suspect he won't cover it up in the same way Phil did for Ben after he killed Heather.

Buster is a better person than Shirley.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think Shirley just needs to find out the truth about Dean, she isn't beyond redemption. I like Buster as a character in his own right and I also like him with Shirley. I feel with Shirley they are knocking her down and will build her back up, like they did with Kat.

Has it possibly occurred to anyone that we aren't supposed to like Shirley's actions at the moment? Whereas they are establishing Buster as a character? Shirley is being written unreasonably for a reason, just like Buster is being written as the mediator for a reason, tptb aren't stupid, of they are writing Shirley this way, they aren't going to expect her to be basking in the love. It is a shame though as Shirley was so popular last year, I believe she will be again once she knows and takes action 're Dean.

I'm looking forward to the Shirley/Carol scenes next week and I am hoping that a friendship is developed. I also hope we meet Buster's mum/dad or a sibling. :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have done a 180 on Buster on the last week or so. The writing has been improved and Karl Howman is actually acting for once.
  • Peg ODwyerPeg ODwyer Posts: 42,874
    Forum Member
    Buster is great!!
  • imawotsitimawotsit Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Shirley is becoming really annoying. I used to love her when she was able to stand on her own two feet, but now it's like she's become Dean's puppy, following him around like she's lost and desperate for his love. I mean, to be fair she is desperate, but it's like grow some balls woman! She was a more likeable character when she wasn't dependent on anyone like she is with him.

Buster is amaaazing. Now the penny is starting to drop and he's seeing the Dean has the potential to be a rapist or at least something along those lines. I can't wait to see him finally realise and then tell Shirley. God that would be great! He's an incredibly likeable character at the moment. I really hope the writers don't ruin him. He's an excellent anchor for Dean. They both work so well together. Well, to be fair Buster would work really well with a plank of wood if that was in the script! :D He has a lot of potential which I hope we get to see more of. He's like Phil v2.0. Exactly the kind of character I'd have liked to see Phil turn into if he wasn't brought in.
  • dickronsondickronson Posts: 2,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imawotsit wrote: »
    Shirley is becoming really annoying. I used to love her when she was able to stand on her own two feet, but now it's like she's become Dean's puppy, following him around like she's lost and desperate for his love. I mean, to be fair she is desperate, but it's like grow some balls woman! She was a more likeable character when she wasn't dependent on anyone like she is with him.

Buster is amaaazing. Now the penny is starting to drop and he's seeing the Dean has the potential to be a rapist or at least something along those lines. I can't wait to see him finally realise and then tell Shirley. God that would be great! He's an incredibly likeable character at the moment. I really hope the writers don't ruin him. He's an excellent anchor for Dean. They both work so well together. Well, to be fair Buster would work really well with a plank of wood if that was in the script! :D He has a lot of potential which I hope we get to see more of. He's like Phil v2.0. Exactly the kind of character I'd have liked to see Phil turn into if he wasn't brought in.

Shirley knows Dean raped Linda, she just doesn't care. She can't get beyond her resentment of Linda being the female head of the family, a role she desperately wants for herself, even though she has not earned it.

She is beyond hateful.
    Forum Member
    dickronson wrote: »
    Shirley knows Dean raped Linda, she just doesn't care. She can't get beyond her resentment of Linda being the female head of the family, a role she desperately wants for herself, even though she has not earned it.

She is beyond hateful.

I disagree. I don't think Shirley wants to believe her son could do that to anyone, nothing to do with Linda - prior to the rape, they had an ok relationship - they didn't hate each other like when Linda first joined. Also Dean continually puts the guilt trip on Shirley for leaving him and he has manipulated her with his story - I think her belief in Dean consists of denial, guilt and not wanting to believe the worst in her son, like Dot and Nick in a way.

Shirley is being written this way for a reason, I am sure tptb know what they are doing. She isn't irredeemable. Though I do wish they would tone down some of the nastiness.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are making Shirley Unlikable really.
    Forum Member
    They are making Shirley Unlikable really.

My belief is that they are writing her this way for a reason, It won't last forever, just like how they made Kat unlikable but then redeemed her, however I am really looking forward to the heart to heart between Shirley and Carol - I have been wanting a friendship or something to develop there for years. :)
  • ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The producers are fully aware that Shirley is a really unlikeable character but it's nothing new. She has always been a nasty character with a vulnerable side deep down. Shirley needs to stop defending Dean and find out NOW.
    Forum Member
    ALowsley wrote: »
    The producers are fully aware that Shirley is a really unlikeable character but it's nothing new. She has always been a nasty character with a vulnerable side deep down. Shirley needs to stop defending Dean and find out NOW.

I don't agree that Shirley is always unlikeable, she has her moments but she also has a lot of funny or nice moments too. At the moment the balance has been airing more on the abrasive side of her whereas I would like to see that nicer, comedic side come to the fore again. But I do agree that Shirley needs to stop defending Dean, and sharpish.
  • ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I don't agree that Shirley is always unlikeable, she has her moments but she also has a lot of funny or nice moments too. At the moment the balance has been airing more on the abrasive side of her whereas I would like to see that nicer, comedic side come to the fore again. But I do agree that Shirley needs to stop defending Dean, and sharpish.
    I agree that she hasn't always been unlikeable but she has been cruel many times. They do need to show her softer side more. Don't you think it's ridiculous that Shirley is still believing Dean 6 months after the reveal? I wish she would find out soon but I fear she won't know till Christmas.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone think Karl Howman has good chemistry with Linda Henry & Matt DA?? He seems part of the furniture even though he only started recently. In spite of Retcon he fits into the Carter backstory well.
    I'm happy for him to stay for a long time.
    Forum Member
    ALowsley wrote: »
    I agree that she hasn't always been unlikeable but she has been cruel many times. They do need to show her softer side more. Don't you think it's ridiculous that Shirley is still believing Dean 6 months after the reveal? I wish she would find out soon but I fear she won't know till Christmas.

You see, I accept that Shirley can be cruel sometimes, but at the moment they just seem to have her pitted against everyone without a lot of balance, bar a few episodes. I'm hoping that this won't continue forever! I really enjoyed Shirley in last Thursday's ep, I'd like to see more of that side of her too, it's frustrating because Linda Henry can do so much more than shout at people.

Yes, I do find it a little bit ridiculous. I understand the point but it has gone on too long. Though now that Buster is suspicious, surely it won't be long until Shirley knows? She did seem to be watching Dean intently when Buster questioned him about Linda yesterday.
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Anyone think Karl Howman has good chemistry with Linda Henry & Matt DA?? He seems part of the furniture even though he only started recently. In spite of Retcon he fits into the Carter backstory well.
    I'm happy for him to stay for a long time.

I don't think there was retcon, Buster's existence doesn't change any established facts.

Karl Howman, Linda Henry and Matt Diangelo do have incredible on screen chemistry. He definitely seems morecomfortable in the role now and I would love to see him stay. The scenes between him and Linda and him and Matt last Thursday were incredible.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say they are unlikable, as there are still moments I feel sorry for Dean because we are now starting to see just how screwed up his head is... I think he will be diagnosed with something by the end of this. Shirley is getting very annoying with all this bossy attitude and "you do what I saw or you can leave" But again, Shirley has little funny moments.

Buster though has only grown in likability over the last couple of weeks, I can see his character being around for a while.