3View HD-PVR - Owners Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
Forum Member
Discussion Thread for all the New Owners of the eagerly anticipated 3View box.

GG - 3VPVR Production Unit Delivery #1

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for starting the 3View thread on here!

Just some quick news for you all. Already downloaded a software update and unlike other units where you have to faff about with downloading the file to your computer, then saving it to a USB stick, then sticking it into your unit despite the fact that said unit is connected to the internet itself, you simply get the software update via the network on the box.

Love it! Good picture as well from all the channels at 1080i

GG
  • Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    , you simply get the software update via the network on the box.

GG

Do you mean software from the network as in Freeview channels?
  • zombie woofzombie woof Posts: 6,906
    Forum Member
    Come on GG, we are all waiting. Stop trying to put your neighbours cat in the bin and start pressing buttons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Come on GG, we are all waiting. Stop trying to put your neighbours cat in the bin and start pressing buttons.

Wondered what the hell you were on about then til I saw the CCTV footage on Channel 4 news.... I had to laugh!!!
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha post of the week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear all eagerly waiting 3View would be owners. Sorry I was late getting back to you all. Unfortunately my unit will have to be returned. It lost all signal last night and I could not get it back. So once I get in touch with Maria this morning it will be returned.
    However, do be assured guys about your orders and about 3View as a company. When you recieve your units, you are given a full 30 days to try your unit out, and if you are not satisfied you can return it and all moneys will be refunded. (Note contained inside the box.) I think that my unit was a duff one as it did seem to have the signal not showing for some channels (although they were there and visible) The picture quality is spot on and the HD channels look stunning.
    I had also synced the unit with my PC (running Windows 7) and it was fully visible on my network. (as a media unit) Once I had enabled sharing of my photos, videos, etc, I could then fully view them as a slideshow on the 3View unit. also a video from my PC, so it acts as a media centre.
    If I had had any recorded TV, I probably could have viewed and accessed it on my PC. It is fully seen as part of your network and my PC (in another room) had no problems whatsoever seeing the unit. (Auto) You can then share photos, videos, recorded tv etc, via the PC and the unit.
    Do realize that when you first switch on the unit from scratch, it does take time to boot up and initialize, it shows the splash screen as it does this, and not BOOT like the Humax, then it takes you through setting up everything including your internet connection. It found mine automatically, I did not have to input a thing. This is connected via Ethernet.

At the moment, there is not much via the widgets etc, all have to still be enabled. (well on my unit at least.)
    The new remote is quite small, but very responsive and easy to use. If you want to only see your favorite channels in the EPG, then press INFO twice.

I am so disappointed that this has happened. I will answer some of your questions if I can, but as you can imagine, I didn't really have much time yesterday (had to go out as well during the day) to put the unit through its paces.

As for any software updates, these are available via the internet connection and you simply click on it to download it to the machine. You do not have to use a USB stick etc.

I will follow this thread once the rest of you receive your units. I don't expect to get a replacement as the rest of the units will be for you guys.

GG
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Dear all eagerly waiting 3View would be owners. Sorry I was late getting back to you all. Unfortunately my unit will have to be returned. It lost all signal last night and I could not get it back. So once I get in touch with Maria this morning it will be returned.<SNIP>

That's real bad news for you but even worse news for 3View.

Looks like they have not got their design/production/test setup to a high enough standard to ensure that product works and is reliable.

You'd think that after all this the least that could be expected would be for the boxes to actually work. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmcg, they are trying their best and how do you know that the unit I was sent was a production box? Yes, it has the latest remote, but as I was promised a test unit ages ago, it could be a pre-production unit.
    I did have to download two files to it.

GG I will now be keeping my eye on this thread as you lot get your units.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmcg, they are trying their best and how do you know that the unit I was sent was a production box? Yes, it has the latest remote, but as I was promised a test unit ages ago, it could be a pre-production unit.

GG I will now be keeping my eye on this thread as you lot get your units.

Bad news GG,it doesn't instill confidence in the product after all the delays to "get the box perfect"!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Have you tried a hard reset, GG?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for starting the 3View thread on here!

Just some quick news for you all. Already downloaded a software update and unlike other units where you have to faff about with downloading the file to your computer, then saving it to a USB stick, then sticking it into your unit despite the fact that said unit is connected to the internet itself, you simply get the software update via the network on the box.

Love it! Good picture as well from all the channels at 1080i

GG

Small point GG,was the 3view USB drive included as mentioned a while back? Could give a clue as to the origin of your box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Prog wrote: »

How do you do a "hard reset?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I'd like to attach an external USB DVD drive to a 3view box that will turn it into a replacement for my DVD player, in addition to its other abilities.

Can anybody tell me if this will work?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member

Would have seemed logical given some of the recent posts.
    digitl wrote: »
    OK, listen carefully folks (I shall say this only once)...

I have been told...

And have been told I can tell...

3view have received the first delivery...

In the UK...

In their hands...

At this very moment (or some time in the recent past)!!!

More than that I don't know (except one of them had my name on it and I've asked for it to be made available to someone else and I'll wait until the second delivery).

Everybody (anybody) happy?
    I received an email today from Maria. I am getting mine delivered tomorrow.

But then again you never know, perhaps it is not a production box.

Still does not get away form the fact that it should have been tested and should work regardless of being from batch 1, 2, 3 or whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmcg wrote: »
    Would have seemed logical given some of the recent posts.

But then again you never know, perhaps it is not a production box.

Still does not get away form the fact that it should have been tested and should work regardless of being from batch 1, 2, 3 or whatever.

Perhaps the presence of the 3view USB stick would give a clue to its origin,also have you noticed GG appears once again to be the only person delivered a box? Even a trickle should have delivered more than one box!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob1942 wrote: »
    Small point GG,was the 3view USB drive included as mentioned a while back? Could give a clue as to the origin of your box.

Which USB drive? No there was no USB drive included.
  • larkimlarkim Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just about the worst publicity (on this forum!) that 3View could have had - the first one to hit the floor is a dud. So (assuming it is a production box) we have a failure rate within 24 hours of purchase of 100% so far.

THey need to get loads more out there, and have a much lower failure rate. I'm starting to get cold feet now, but I'm still being optimistic!

Matt
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prog wrote: »

Yes I did a full reset of the unit taking it back to square one as it were.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which USB drive? No there was no USB drive included.

There was a picture few weeks ago of a USB memory stick with the 3view logo on it that was to be included for those who wanted to update software from their PC to the 3view box

Has anyone the link which showed the 3view USB memory stick?
  • diandavediandave Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Bob1942 wrote: »
    There was a picture few weeks ago of a USB memory stick with the 3view logo on it that was to be included for those who wanted to update software from their PC to the 3view box

That was issued to Beta testers, to download software before being finalised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diandave wrote: »
    That was issued to Beta testers, to download software before being finalised.

I knew I wasn't dreaming but I thought it was to be included with production models
  • diandavediandave Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Yes I did a full reset of the unit taking it back to square one as it were.

I had the same thing happen after installing a corrupt software update, the box was dead, I switched off the power , held the power button in on the box (not the remote control) switched power back on while still holding in power button until the 3view logo screen is shown, then loose the power button, after a few seconds it will show a list of options, first I formated the hard drive to remove old application, and makes ready for a clean install, then choose update from network, and istall the latest software update from the setup page, I have a fully working box again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diandave wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen after installing a corrupt software update, the box was dead, I switched off the power , held the power button in on the box (not the remote control) switched power back on while still holding in power button until the 3view logo screen is shown, then loose the power button, after a few seconds it will show a list of options, first I formated the hard drive to remove old application, and makes ready for a clean install, then choose update from network, and istall the latest software update from the setup page, I have a fully working box again.
    dianedave,, my box is not dead, it has simply lost the sigal Can only find the MUX with BBC Four and the radio channels on. (18 channels) Rest of it appears to be working okay. It could have been a corrupt download. Waiting for the tech guys to get back to me now about what to do.

GG
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My pre-production machine was replaced with a production box by 3view yesterday. Unfortunately 3view tell me there are still some bugs to sort out and have to wait until thursday or friday latest for the software. I'm not going to base my intended review on the stability of the box as it is now, so will wait a while longer for the final release customer version. If in the meantime GG or anyone has any more questions or needs help with the 3view box, which I've had for quite a while now, let me know :)