Why do people turn gay?

Born FreeBorn Free Posts: 610
Forum Member
✭✭
1st thing... Don't say you're born that way unless you talk about genetics etc.

Why do people turn gay? Some people say they can't help not being attracted to the opposite and liking the same sex, however, there must be some sort of explanation.

Psychological? Biological? I don't know, does anyone know?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boredom, I think.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much Ribena.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just laziness really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fish allergy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Willies are more fun.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't "turn" gay, it's about who you're attracted to and who you're not. You don't wake up one day and think "oh, I'm going to fancy the same sex today" - it's about who you connect with.
    People mamy only "come out" when they're in their teens or whatever, but what do you know about relationships until you've had one, what do you know about who you're attracted to until you've had that attraction?
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all in the genes as my Nana would say and "the apple never falls far from the tree"... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a gay I think your gay from birth, you told me not to say it but hey and no im not going to talk about genetics.

Ever since i can remember there has been very little to no attraction to girls and I dont think you turn gay (unless you straight and really love cher, I mean talk about minorities...)
    I mean its not easy being gay, well when you first come out gets better. Why would someone choose to be so different and put a spotlight on yourself when your so young and prone to being bullied. Look how many young gay teenagers kill themselves its riduclous that it happens but it shows just how much its not a choice and isnt as simple as "turning".

I think being gay is something straight people dont understand, i mean the whole process of being gay and coming out and all that not the actual idea of it. And to be honest i wont ever understand why people are straight bar to have a baby but after that it bewilders me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sprogg wrote: »
    It's all in the genes as my Nana would say and "the apple never falls far from the tree"... ;)

I know a few men who are 100% straight in their genes, but 110% gay when they take them off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born that way.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born Free wrote: »
    does anyone know?

In your quest for knowledge on such a worldly subject are you specifically looking for opinions from biologists and psychiatrists? Or just random people on the internet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    You can't just turn gay. I had no choice in being bi I just am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    In your quest for knowledge on such a worldly subject are you specifically looking for opinions from biologists and psychiatrists? Or just random people on the internet?

Biologists and psychiatrists haven't really figured it out yet. We're probably a safer bet.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think genetics is a factor but I think environmental upbringing is more influential. The male role model theory sounds quite convincing to me. :)
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I think genetics is a factor but I think environmental upbringing is more influential. The male role model theory sounds quite convincing to me. :)

sure because single women and lesbians raise gay sons, always. :rolleyes:
  • Born FreeBorn Free Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure quite a few homosexuals are either so ashamed(possibly because of religion) or feel pressured by society and so they live a lie. They'll marry and have children but always secretly love men, then eventually they might admit it or the wife finds out and it leads to a divorce.

That's just an example but I imagine many homosexuals either think that by trying sex with a girl they'll get over what they think is some short term homosexual feeling.
  • Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men don't 'shop' so having one as a boyfriend is more cost effective.

But seriously why are we not allowed to say we are born that way when straight people are!

It is this strangely way of looking at things that leads to confusing. If you constantly look at being gay as totally different to being straight then you will have problems understanding. However if you take being straight and gay as nothing more than sexualities, they are exactly the same, just different flavours.

People question gayness but never straightness - Why?
    Are gays born that way or chose it for a laugh? but it's never asked: Are straights born that way or chose it for a laugh?

Anti-gay people always seem to want it all ways saying that people are born straight (a sexuality) but gay people are not born that way but instead choose to be that way. They can then persecute them as it is their fault and they can change back if they don't like it. :rolleyes:

So I do find it strainge in 2010 that some still see being gay as something so different from being straight when they are both sexualities and nothing more. What applies to one also applies to the other.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are less trouble than woman
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Men don't 'shop' so having one as a boyfriend is more cost effective.

But seriously why are we not allowed to say we are born that way when straight people are!

It is this strangely way of looking at things that leads to confusing. If you constantly look at being gay as totally different to being straight then you will have problems understanding. However if you take being straight and gay as nothing more than sexualities, they are exactly the same, just different flavours.

People question gayness but never straightness - Why?
    Are gays born that way or chose it for a laugh? but it's never asked: Are straights born that way or chose it for a laugh?

Anti-gay people always seem to want it all ways saying that people are born straight (a sexuality) but gay people are not born that way but instead choose to be that way. They can then persecute them as it is their fault and they can change back if they don't like it. :rolleyes:

So I do find it strainge in 2010 that some still see being gay as something so different from being straight when they are both sexualities and nothing more. What applies to one also applies to the other.

This!

I don't really remember having an "I'm gay" moment, that's just the way i always remember it being.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    sure because single women and lesbians raise gay sons, always. :rolleyes:

It's not as simple as that. It doesn't mean boys who lack a paternal presence become gay as a consequence. The theory is a bit more complicated than that. :)
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    No one actually knows the cause. My personal belief is that it's an aspect of your personality... along the lines of the Kinsey Report; there's no such thing as "straight" or "gay", everyone is some degree of bi - with most falling near the extremes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not as simple as that. It doesn't mean boys who lack a paternal become gay as a consequence. The theory is a bit more complicated than that. :)

please enlighten us with your theory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    please enlighten us with your theory.

It's not my theory. It's a theory which i thought was quite well known. I am sure there are good articles if you google around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not my theory. It's a theory which i thought was quite well known. I am sure there are good articles if you google around.

oh so it's 'the internets' theory. Must be true then. :yawn:
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlrob wrote: »
    Biologists and psychiatrists haven't really figured it out yet. We're probably a safer bet.

If that is the case, I shall forge ahead and furnish the OP with enlightenment.

Why are 10% of the population left handed?
    Hand orientation is developed in fetuses, most commonly determined by observing which hand is predominantly held close to the mouth.

I think this is the case with sexual orientation, at some point the fetus gets confused by something and the gayness happens.