Options

android warning

ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Whilst browsing on my tablet just now I received a warning that my android may be affected by a trojan as a result of me browsing adult orientated websites. The message informed me to click on a scan, I did and it opened up a page that wanted me to click on another link to activate a scan. At this point I turned off my tablet and didn't click the second link. I must also add I DON'T browse adult orientated websites. Is this a scam? What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It keeps coming back up and the page seems to originate from Yahoo ads?
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACL777 wrote: »
    Whilst browsing on my tablet just now I received a warning that my android may be affected by a trojan as a result of me browsing adult orientated websites. The message informed me to click on a scan, I did and it opened up a page that wanted me to click on another link to activate a scan. At this point I turned off my tablet and didn't click the second link. I must also add I DON'T browse adult orientated websites. Is this a scam? What should I do?

Scam. Use AdBlock Plus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting these messages whilst browsing Digital Spy. I understand that it is down to poor application of adverts.
    Oh, Adblocker Plus no longer works on the latest Android release.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I thought it was just my tablet doing this. Either way I always cancel them and run my own scans.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACL777 wrote: »
    It keeps coming back up and the page seems to originate from Yahoo ads?

I've had it as well (today) - clicked away from it, and did an actual scan with my anti virus, which found nothing.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having the same problem. Only in certain forums. The DS Sky forum brings it up when I click on every thread. Clicking on this thread was fine.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    I'm getting this annoying warning as well on my nexus7 while browsing DS using Dolphin browser. It's a page from yahoo ads telling me I've got either 3 viruses or 5 random problems. It's a pain in the backside, is there any blocker that stops them? [ edit to add: I've run both my antivirus apps and neither found a problem]

I also get a security certificate warning while using DS. Is this related issue or a different problem?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would a website site tell you you have a virus?

How bizarre. Clearly a scam/spam ad.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem to emanate from Yahoo ads, and only ever occurs on my tablet when accessing DS.

"Your android has three viruses" or some such.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This getting to be bad here on DS. The virus warnings are annoying. I find Adblock is problematic unless you are rooted.