Comments

• Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath - 7/10
    Into the Dalek - 5/10
    Robot of Sherwood - 2/10

This is a worrying downward trend. A complete hot mess of an episode - Gatiss really doesn't know how to write Doctor Who that isn't littered with dialogue a five year old would be embarrassed about. The bickering between the Doctor and Robin was tiresome and infantile, the plot was ludicrous (never mind recycled!) and the resolution said it all about how bad the whole thing was. Capaldi's Doctor is still jarring and almost seems to be trying too hard to still be a bit like Matt Smith's Doctor. He needs proper dialogue and a decent story to build on the promise that was there in the glimpse of his more serious side in Deep Breath.

It really was dire, and only gets the 2 points it does because Jenna Coleman continues to hold the whole series together no matter what rubbish is thrown at her in the scripts.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath 7/10.
    Into The Dalek. 7/10
    Robots of Sherwood 3/10
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath: 8/10
    Into the Dalek: 8/10
    Robot of Sherwood: 8/10
    Listen: 8/10

A very strange kind of episode, the plot was think on the ground, and the time-hopping to see Orson Pink felt a bit unnecessary, or perhaps badly connected. Personally it would have been better without the dating scenes, if the Doctor had simply told Clara they were going to check the end of the Universe out because that's where he thought it most likely the creature would show itself? Don't like not knowing if the creature was real or not, it felt like a poor man's midnight really. But with the running theme of fear etc, it was good for what it was. Liked the scene at the end with young Doctor and the reason behind War Doctor going to the Barn in Day of the Doctor, nicely thought out by Moffat 8/10
  • Options
    doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath: 9.0/10.0
    Into The Dalek: 8.5/10.0
    Robot Of Sherwood: 8.5/10.0
    Listen: 7.5/10.0

Even though it was a strong episode, the plot was very difficult to understand. I liked a lot of elements and for me some of the points I gave were for Clara alone. I was expecting better. Looking forward to next week.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath 9/10
    Into the Dalek 8/10
    Robot of Sherwood 8/10

Listen 10/10

The Moff has done it again. Creepy, scary, terrifying and then an absolutely sensational final ending that I really should have seen coming.

Absolutely sensational. The acting from the big 3 was stunning and there were so many fantastic little jokes and nods in amongst the scares. This episode was made by Jenna and Peter, you genuinely believed that 12 was completely deranged and knowing Clara made him that way is just heart-breaking.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath: 8/10
    Into The Dalek: 8/10
    Robot of Sherwood: 8.5/10
    Listen: 10/10

Welcome back, Steven. This series can be rated by the audience however they want - but for me, it's the strongest four-episode start the modern era has seen.

TARDIS! Now! Do as you are told!
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath: 7/10
    Robot of Sherwood: 8.5/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath - 8.5/10
    Into the Dalek - 4/10
    Robot of Sherwood - 7.5/10
    Listen - 10/10
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath: 7/10

Psychological drama at its finest. I was entranced throughout.
    Capaldi just keeps getting better and better, Jenna was brilliant in this, Danny's story is progressing well and I'm looking forward to see how it all pans out and the ambiguity of it all was fantastic.

I love not knowing whether the monster was real or whether the Doctor was having a bit of a breakdown. An argument could be made for both.

It was also nice to find out the significance of the barn in Day of the Doctor (although, how the TARDIS landed on Gallifrey is a question I don't really want to think about).

Brilliant.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath: 3/10
    Into the Dalek: 6/10
    Listen: 10/10.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath 9/10.
    Into the Dalek 8/10
    Robot of Sherwood 8/10.

Listen 9.5/10
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath 3/10
    Into the Dalek 5/10
    Robot of Sherwood 4/10

Listen 4/10

I didn't love it, I didn't hate it....I just didn't get it.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of it really. It didn't feel like an episode of DW for ages...not really until we met Rupert but then it didn't go anywhere. After that, it didn't go anywhere for me. It all felt rather lacking.

The Orson plot didn't do a lot for me (I did think Peter had said his name was Awesome for ages until we saw the news report with his name) On that note, Peter was just bland in this for me. He really wasn't anything and is still not the Doctor and nowhere near the Doctor for me. Jenna is still a big problem to me and I just don't get Clara as a character.

I'm not sure what to make of the ending either, it felt okay, it was surprising but not wow a shock, more oh....

The directing was alright from Douglas Mackinnon but felt very lacking, like the episode really. It all felt quite detached as an episode. I'm not disappointed but I'm not pleased either. I'm in a weird place with this episode. I just didn't get it...

I'm a big fan of Moffat episodes too but since Time of the Doctor, I just feel like something's missing from them. Deep Breath was atrocious and Listen was only slightly better. It doesn't feel the same. The tonal change for S8 is becoming a real big problem for me. It doesn't feel like Doctor Who anymore. I do feel like my interest is waning in the show.

(Keeley Hawes may change that next week though!)
  • Options
    king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath: 6/10
    Robot of Sherwood: 7/10
    Listen: 9/10
    I was quite apprehensive whilst watching this episode, as I thought it would give an indecisive look at the idea of something being in the room with you. But. I was wrong, the episode succeeds becuase it shows that there may well be someone there, or as Clara said; it could just be nothing. It succeeds when it does this becuase if it gave one answer then it would be a weak psychological story as it would only show one side of the idea. The cast performs brilliantly, especially Capaldi and Coleman which have a good realtionship unseen since the classic era, where a Doctor and companion are just friends. So in conclusion, great episode.
  • Options
    mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath 7/10
    Into the Dalek 7/10
    Robot of Sherwood 8.5/10

Listen 11/10

This is Who at it's finest, laughs, scares, mysteries, and real human drama. Peter is really growing into the role, and I think that comes from filming the episodes in order (unlike Matt) and so you get a sense that he settles into the role over the weeks, as the Doctor gets comfy in his new skin.

Moffat has pulled a right corker out his hat this week!
  • Options
    17@1717@17 Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath 6/10
    Into The Dalek 8/10
    Robot Of Sherwood 6/10

Not quite sure what to make of that tonight. It was certainly better than last week's, and it was well written, well acted and thought provoking. But actually when you think about it, not a lot really happened, and I sometimes thought the script was trying a bit too hard at points. I think when watching the series back it won't be the first episode I'll be rushing to rewatch. So, a nice solid score...

Listen 7/10
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath 9/10
    Into the Dalek 8/10
    Robot of Sherwood 6/10
    Listen 9/10

Intense episode, although it felt a bit like Red Dwarf at times and I normally don't like episodes with children. Bonus points for guts to take the Danny storyline into the realm of the timey wimey. Not sure everything made sense in the end. Like what the hell was under that sheet in Rupert's room? I guess we'll never know...
  • Options
    BlocFFCBlocFFC Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath 7/10
    Into The Dalek 8/10
    Robot of Sherwood 9/10
    Listen 10/10

Stunning. Moffat at his finest.
  • Options
    WhoMadWhoMad Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath - 7.5/10
    Into The Dalek - 8/10
    Robot Of Sherwood - 8.5/10
    Listen - 9/10

Douglas Mckinnon put in his best directing performance so far, helping to create spooky moments throughout especially the scene in the bedroom. The Danny/Clara scenes were excruciatingly awkward with some slightly clunky dialogue and the Moffat ....trope...of using creepy nursery rhythms makes an appearance. A really great episode which could be a highlight of S8.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath - 8/10
    Into The Dalek - 9/10
    Robot Of Sherwood - 7.5/10
    Listen 9.5/10

Just misses out on the top spot as I thought the beginning just seemed a bit weird and the plot wasn't naturally introduced, it just felt like an excuse to be dramatic!
    Saying that though the actual plot of the episode and everything else was amazing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath 8.5/10
    Into the Dalek 9/10
    Robot of Sherwood 8/10
    Listen 10/10 (and the boy who played Rupert goes to the same theatre school as my daughter:) )
  • Options
    Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Deep breath 3/10 too long and too focused on Paternoster gang.
    Into the Dalek 5/10 Not great but not bad just lacking something
    Robots of Sherwood 6/10 Good idea just a bit weak in the plot dept.
    Listen 0/10 First time I've sat wanting an episode to be over with.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On first watch

Deep Breath 8.5/10
    Into the Dalek 7.5/10
    Robot of Sherwood 6/10
    Listen 10/10

On second watch

Deep Breath 9.5/10
    Into the Dalek 8.5/10
    Robot of Sherwood 7.95/10
    Listen 10/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK Series 8 has cemented a phenomenal row of PERFECT episodes in a row for me!

Deep Breath - 10/10
    Into The Dalek - 10/10
    Robot Of Sherwood - 10/10

LISTEN - 11/10

Quite honestly i think this is The Moffs best ever episode! It had EVERYthing, but done in such a subtle and beautiful way;

A real sense of menace, was the monster there? do we make our own monsters? that bedroom scene is just iCONIC already....dont turn round is just so bautifully scarily handled and plagued on a very primal fear....I know we visited it before briefly in the Satan Pit two parter (the best of a dour second season!) but not turning around/trying to face our fears was a lot to take on board!

Plus we have Coupling era Moff back at his best...very comical and melancholy....loved the Timey Wimey twists in the Pink arc...look forward to see how that develops.

Yeah the core 3 showcased their talents beautifully...Clara just is such a great companion.....just seriously phenomenal performance...but Capaldi IS the Doctor...he won me in episode one and look how he has shaped and grown already! Just so electrifying you cannot take your eyes off of him!

And that twist of an ending, so controversially handled but beautifully haunting and poetic...we are lonely, but not alone...we have our ow companions behind our back ...but we also have our own monsters.

Just an all round beyond perfect episode continuing a truly truly exceptional 8th series! Time Heist looks INSANE! ater a very subtle and simplistic and impactful episode everything looks insane for next week! But i truly cannot wait to see Oceans 11 meets Doctor Who!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath - 9/10
    Into the Dalek - 8.5/10
    Robots of Sherwood - 7/10
    Listen - 10/10

Loved it. Creepy, atmospheric, moving, surprising. Moffat at his best - I read an article on the web earlier saying how he had volunteered to write the 'cheap' episode to prove he could still write (think it was on the Guardian website). He definitely can! A relatively simple story, but that meant the episode was allowed to breathe, and allowed the beats of the story to have real effect. Marvellous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath: 9/10
    Robot of Sherwood: 5/10
    Listen 10/10