Options

Family relationships that are acceptable....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
Forum Member
✭✭
I met a friend today who said that her whole family had become fragmented because two members of her extended family ( who are siblings) were in an incestuous relationship. This is obviously very much a social taboo.

However, I know that some people think it is ok for cousins to get together and others see that as abnormal.

It made me think about where do people draw the line?

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    To me I draw the line at being related.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd wager that very few families would see cousins as acceptable, in spite of it being legal.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    My first boyfriend was my step dads half sisters son. He and my mum had just married so it wasn't like I knew him forever and we didn't really think about the implications being young. When we met up again years later, when I really thought about his relationships with my half brothers and sisters it became too entangled and wierd so it was ended. That was step family, real family is just wierd!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Having a relationship with your family member is just VILE. Sorry, but things like that are just unacceptable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say with multi-culturism, attitudes are changing about cousin relationships and that they seem to be happening more and more frequently. I had two children in my class at school who both had parents who were cousins.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me I draw the line at being related.

It can be argued that we are all related to each other, but I guess you mean a close relation.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    It can be argued that we are all related to each other, but I guess you mean a close relation.

Yeah. And I wouldn't judge people for doing it, crack on and have fun lol, just not for me. :)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you've got a sexy cousin a look and a untoward thought is ok but when it comes to penetration no way pedro, but hey every hole's a goal
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Lips wrote: »
    I met a friend today who said that her whole family had become fragmented because two members of her extended family ( who are siblings) were in an incestuous relationship. This is obviously very much a social taboo.

However, I know that some people think it is ok for cousins to get together and others see that as abnormal.

It made me think about where do people draw the line?

No problem with cousins getting together personally although the issue is that there can be a greater risk of abnormalities in any offspring, particularly if there is a history within the family of cousins marrying cousins over several generations.

Anything more than that I can't get my head round. That said I know there is a psychological phenomenon where close family members separated at birth e.g. siblings and parent/child can become sexually attracted to each other when they meet adults.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah. And I wouldn't judge people for doing it, crack on and have fun lol, just not for me. :)

It's not for me either and my sister/wife agrees with me.
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't imagine it with a cousin. There is the old joke though. "If we get married in Texas and move to New York, will we still brother and sister?"
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    We know a widower who met his second wife through his daughter. His daughter had married his second wife's son a couple years before. The two then hit it off. So their married children became stepbrother and stepsister after the fact. Not quite incest strictly speaking, although some still consider it such. Not disgusting by any means but nevertheless makes for some strange situations.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't care at all. If people are happy and what they're doing doesn't effect anyone else in a negative way, then I don't see the issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you've got a sexy cousin a look and a untoward thought is ok but when it comes to penetration no way pedro, but hey every hole's a goal

Lol! That made me laugh even though :o
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acceptable to who? Obviously some families and cultures accept incest that doesn't make it OK for others.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything "step" is not incest in any way at all. Its not blood, therefore it is not incest. Blood relatives is another thing altogether.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to be careful with this kind of thing otherwise you could end up as your own grandfather :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    You have to be careful with this kind of thing otherwise you could end up as your own grandfather :D

When Mandy Smith was married to Bill Wyman, wasn't his son dating her mother? Must have made for bracing Christmas get-togethers. If the second couple had had a baby (which they didn't), Mandy Smith would have been its grandmother and half-sister.

The Wuthering Heights family tree gives a disturbing perception that the total population of the world is about 10 people: http://www.wuthering-heights.co.uk/images/trees/genealogyplan.jpg
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me it's a question of can people safely have children, with contraception these days being freely available I don't see the taboos having any real reason behind them than they are socially unacceptable. I am not one for judging socially what people should or shouldn't do we all have morals and consciences and should follow what they dictate IMO

I also think with all the ways we split families and make step families and sperm and egg donation etc it will become more and more difficult to be sure who is related to whom to social norms will change anyway.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Anything "step" is not incest in any way at all. Its not blood, therefore it is not incest. Blood relatives is another thing altogether.

I personally wouldn't define step relatives as incest. However many people (inc. in the west) and several cultures disagree. Unfortunately yours (and my) definition isn't the universally accepted one.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find it wholly unnecessary. There's seven billion people in this world, why you would you choose to be romantically involved with someone who shares the same bloodline as yourself, and as a consequence of that no doubt rupture up all kinds of problems and issues, is beyond me.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    I just find it wholly unnecessary. There's seven billion people in this world, why you would you choose to be romantically involved with someone who shares the same bloodline as yourself, and as a consequence of that no doubt rupture up all kinds of problems and issues, is beyond me.

Lack of imagination - laziness - incestuously minded, that's all that will have you - there are lots of reasons for incest. And many many more for not doing it. However there are always people that disagree so a subsection of people are going to do this just like there will always be a subsection of other freaky people.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    There were a family who lived near where I lived many years ago that were incredibly incestuous.

In the home were the Father, Mother, Daughter and Son. There was also the granddaughter (who was conceived by the Father and the daughter), and she had a child which had been conceived by herself and her uncle. The uncle and the granddaughter would openly walk around together with their kid, and even visit local pubs for a drink.

The baby would have been both the granddaughter and great granddaughter of the father and mother. The granddaughter was the father's daughter and grandaughter. etc.

The whole lot of them were very clearly unashamed of what they were.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    There were a family who lived near where I lived many years ago that were incredibly incestuous.

In the home were the Father, Mother, Daughter and Son. There was also the granddaughter (who was conceived by the Father and the daughter), and she had a child which had been conceived by herself and her uncle. The uncle and the granddaughter would openly walk around together with their kid, and even visit local pubs for a drink.

The baby would have been both the granddaughter and great granddaughter of the father and mother. The granddaughter was the father's daughter and grandaughter. etc.

The whole lot of them were very clearly unashamed of what they were.

Goodness. Trying to unpick all that has just given me a headache!! :o
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally wouldn't, but I think two consenting adults should be free to sleep with each other if they want to, and that would have to include incest.