The school bully...what would you do?

egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
Forum Member
✭✭✭
To those who were bullied at school and are now adults(30 somethings) Say the bully had been particularly awful(head down toilet rather than a kick up the ass)what would you do if you saw the bully now?

Do you believe what hapens as a child is not the same person?Or would you /have you exacted revenge?

Comments

• capitalism101capitalism101 Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I'd laugh about it, ''Hey remember that time when you flushed my head down the toilet? Oh those were the days'' :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was bullied at secondary school until 6th form. Very unhappy days.

Would totally ignore now-adult bully if seen in passing. Would not stoop to revenge or say anything unpleasant. If stuck with that person for longer, I would be civil.

As awful that person was, they may well have changed but we still remember what they did and carry the after effects of the bullying. However, you don't have to let the unpleasantness rule your life or dictate how you react as an adult.
  • Owen MahoneOwen Mahone Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I was never bullied for too long and any other time was name calling... but EVERYONE got name called and so on in school.

I was never popular at school and missed out on a lot of stuff... to those who weren't nice to me... I now ignore and be polite to basically.

Life moves on and High School was years ago. Moving forward is hard but is a must.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I detest my school bully now as much as I did over 40 years ago.

Luckily, for both of us, I have never seen the hideous waste of skin in as many years.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first attended university I met someone who bore a striking similarity to a particularly unpleasant lad in our school year. For nearly a full academic year I judged this guy only because of who he looked like, and simply didn't want to know him. During my second year one of my housemates was on his course, and when said student got into financial difficulties he started coming over to our house for food. Turns out he was funny, clever, pleasant to talk to, and the sort who would do anything for you.

Upon leaving university I had a four month break before starting my first graduate job. During this time I worked in a pub and on something like the second shift the previously unpleasant guy from school came in. The reverse effect occurred and without thinking I actually greeted him as a friend. About two weeks later, whilst I was having a beer with him, he confessed that he always looked back on his time at school as embarrassing, and wished he'd not bullied others. He had been genuinely surprised with my reaction upon seeing him again, because most people from school that he saw around didn't want to know him.

The thing is, he'd done a lot of growing up once he'd got out into the world of work, had found himself, and regretted his past actions. I think this is possibly quite common amongst school bullies after they become adults. So I would recommend that any of you who accidentally bump into someone keep an open mind.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Never got bullied at school but had one tool who got off on inuslting me. He is now a homeless smack head and i've had the last laugh as my life is good. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a difficult one. The girl in question lost her mother aged 5, then when she started secondary, her father met someone else who he went on to marry. I see most of her bullying as an outlet for what she was going through in her adolescent mind. That said, I have mixed feelings about her now, fifteen years on. Other kids in school were going through things of a similar magnitude but they didn't bully people like she did.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walked past one of the guys who used to bully me in school a few years ago. Bear in mind school was fifteen years ago. He laughed at me and said "I remember when i used to bully you in school", then continue laughing about it as he walked off. He had no regrets about how he treated me. I was walking with a group of workmates at the time, and felt like I was 14 years old again. I was so angry and so embarrassed. His personality hadn't changed since school.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was back in my home town and had the misfortune to come across any of the vile chavs who were horrible to me at school and they thought they could behave the same now as they did then, lets just say my reation would be a lot more, ahem, robust, than it was back then. :D
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Didn't somebody say "The best revenge is to live well"?
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    And of course to send them a postcard of you standing next to your expensive sports car outside one of your many properties, maybe even holding your Doctorate :D
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do people really get their heads flushed down the toilet or is that an urban myth? I've never come across a real life wedgie victim either. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask them what they're up to nowadays. Then experience the joys of schadenfreude healing all past wounds. (Of course, this only works if they haven't gone off and become a managing director etc. in the meantime.)
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Also, "revenge is a dish that is best served cold".

Hence, don't announce your plans on a forum, in case said ex-bully is a member.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: Gripper Stebson posts on here so you'd better watch what you say.I'm sure it's not really him,but you never know.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    do people really get their heads flushed down the toilet or is that an urban myth? I've never come across a real life wedgie victim either. :(

At my school head flushing and being thrown into the school pond was a regular occurence for victims of th school bullys.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    To those who were bullied at school and are now adults(30 somethings) Say the bully had been particularly awful(head down toilet rather than a kick up the ass)what would you do if you saw the bully now?

Do you believe what hapens as a child is not the same person?Or would you /have you exacted revenge?

I was never bullied at school. They were afraid of my vicious temper and unwillingness to forget anything ~ I was a bit of a psycho when pushed, to be honest. Nobody ever picked on me.

But I did see bullies in action. One in particular I remember who tried to make the life of one lad, pretty bad. When he friend requested me on facebook, I ignored the request.

I've heard others say that when they met old school bullies, post school, they were suddenly as nice as pie, and acted as though nothing had happened.
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person who bullied me a school applied for a job with my firm. Guess what? She didn't get the job. Having said that she wasn't good enough anyway but I did enjoy ringing her to tell her that her interview was unsuccessful
  • belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People tried to bully me because I was clever and a bit of a suckup...I laughed at them and asked them why they were trying to bully me, as I'd just tell the staff and fck them over. They left me alone after about a week of unkind notes in my locker, trip-ups into assembly, and group-based physical intimidation when I informed them I'd made a collection of their notes and stolen one of their Science books out of the classroom so I could take the handwriting comparison to the Deputy Head.

I was a precocious little shyte looking back, and probably deserved bullying. Thankfully, as well as being clever and a bit of a geek, I was also blessed with a fair amount of confidence. I'm quite aware that most bullying situations can't be solved by my method! Perhaps I was just bullied by particularly inept bullies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the bullying damaged you emotionally to the extent that you still remember instances of it many years afterwards, you should actually tell the former bully this and the extent to which you have suffered, not to exact an apology or contrition, but to make them understand that actions have consequences which can be long-lasting.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I was never bullied but there were certainly people I didn't like so if I saw them in 10 years time, words might be had.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My bully was the teacher.

Hopefully he's dead now so I won't run into him.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Providing they weren't a long time bodybuilder and were the average height, they wouldn't dare start anything with me.
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karma is always hits back. Let's just say the bully who tormented me through school got chucked out of the army 3 times and then saw him emptying bins.

Anyway, I wouldn't ignore him in the street if I saw him. All the experience made ma stronger person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years back, just before I was 40, I received a message on facebook from somebody who bullied me around 30 years previously, claiming they were my worst nightmare and were going to come and track me down etc etc. I found it hilarious.