Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Which begs the question, why did he think there was an armed intruder in the toilet in the first place?

Because he heard something he didn't expect to hear, in the middle of the night, and lives in a part of the world where violent crime is prevalent.

Whilst I agree it seems odd that he didn't stop to think it would be Reeva, under the circumstances in the dead of night, I don't put it beyond the realms of possibility.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He will get off. Same way David Beckham would be acquitted in England if he shot Victoria.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Because he heard something he didn't expect to hear, in the middle of the night, and lives in a part of the world where violent crime is prevalent.

Whilst I agree it seems odd that he didn't stop to think it would be Reeva, under the circumstances in the dead of night, I don't put it beyond the realms of possibility.

Odd doesn't quite cover it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else puzzled why Reeva's family isn't front and centre in court demanding justice for this poor woman?
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else puzzled why Reeva's family isn't front and centre in court demanding justice for this poor woman?

Raw grief?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am guessing it is all a bit too raw for them right now and perhaps they will be at the actual trial, he isn't being sentenced at the moment.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd doesn't quite cover it.

Indeed.

Why didn't he just phone the police/security? Most people have phones nearby their beds or you would wake the other person to have them phone while you make sure the intruder stays in the house by aiming a gun at them (if so inclined).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What sort of justice do you think they should be demanding?

Given that the authorities know who did it, and have already commenced legal proceedings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Anyone have a clue as to when/if the state have said the phone records will be back?
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5990lmd wrote: »
    Anyone have a clue as to when/if the state have said when the phone records will be back?

As soon as the bail hearing is over tomorrow, you won't hear anything for months, then there will be an explosion of all this info once the trail starts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah - the very least they could do is find a strong suspect, and have some sort of trial.

That's exactly the sort of thing they should be demanding.

Oh. Wait.

His family is there supporting him, so why shouldn't Reeva's be there? He should be locked up, and they should demand it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His family is there supporting the idiot, so why shouldn't Reeva's be there?

I imagine they have been preoccupied with the shock and grief of losing a member of their family, not to mention organising a funeral.

Sorry, I edited my post afterwards - what sort of justice do you think they should be demanding?
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    As soon as the bail hearing is over tomorrow, you won't hear anything for months, then there will be an explosion of all this info once the trail starts.

That's what i thought.

The reporter on the news just said don't be surprised if the judge waits over the weekend to make a decision and then, depending on that an appeal from Pistorius regarding bail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine they have been preoccupied with the shock and grief of losing a member of their family, not to mention organising a funeral.

Sorry, I edited my post afterwards - what sort of justice do you think they should be demanding?

Ha Ha, sorry, so did I. :D
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Yes, but that's what's complicating matters here - no-one else was there to be murdered, and I'm sure the defence will argue that he did not intend to kill, he was reacting instinctively (like the highly trained animal that he is :cool:).

Don't get me wrong, I think that whatever his intentions, he should have the book thrown at him, but it's an interesting exercise to argue from both points of view!

It shouldn't be a complication. He knows someone is in an enclosed space, and he blindly fires four shots into that space.

Any reasonable person would think there is a high chance of death. That would be murder here, whoever he thought was in there.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    This is what I don't get. He is guilty of murdering someone. He isn't innocent.

His guilt or innocence is for a judge to decide when in possession of the full facts regarding the shooting. Anything else is just rumour and speculation based on various press and police reports of variable debatable accuracy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's just a bail hearing, not the trial.

I doubt they really want to see him at this point.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Yes. His natural height is measured from head to his stumps, which end in the calf area. His prosthetics are designed to fit his thin, long stumps in calf-area caps.

Edit: I've discovered my finding was wrong:

His everyday legs doesn't mean his stumps but his natural legs plus his everyday prostheses.
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing Pistorius' medical came back clear of drugs, alcohol or steroids or the prosecution would have said?

I know we've heard from both sides, and their versions of what happened, but have the prosecution said why they believe he killed her, or will that be kept for trial?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing Pistorius' medical came back clear of drugs, alcohol or steroids or the prosecution would have said?

I know we've heard from both sides, and their versions of what happened, but have the prosecution said why they believe he killed her, or will that be kept for trial?

Domestic rage. Plenty of forensic to still come which is not really necessary here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha Ha, sorry, so did I. :D

I'm still not sure what justice you think they should be demanding, that isn't already happening.

Are you saying he should be locked up, without the due diligence of a trial?
  • Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst with hindsight, and a bit of time to think about it all (which you obviously have), that's all very easy to think.

But at the time its entirely plausible that OP (or anyone for that matter) would necessarily pause to consider all of that.

With the second list, a big part of that would be down to the individual's temperament - and we now know OP to be fairly hotheaded, which would lend credence to such actions, however foolhardy and reckless they may appear to us.

Sorry but while during that would you NOT check on your bed partner?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We haven't heard two versions of what happened.

We've had one version of what happened from one person present.

And an alternative, hypothetical version from people who were not there.

I think had Reeva survived, and was giving her side of the story that implicated OP, that would be a whole different kettle of fish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    Sorry but while during that would you NOT check on your bed partner?

Because you were a reckless hothead acting without due care in the heat of the moment, in the dark of night, in genuine fear and uncertainty.

As has been said several times, we all like to think how we would react in a situation when thinking about it calmly and rationally in the cold light of day.

But I'd bet you anything that in reality we wouldn't all act how we might like to think we would.
    Forum Member

Not entirely. They are being there for each other at this point, grieving together.

Only 6 days ago one of the most important people in their lives, was with someone they would have expected her to be safe with, only to wake up to the fact he'd accidentally or otherwise killed her.

I think it's probably too raw for them still don't you?
This discussion has been closed.