Options

IDS, King of Spin

PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
Forum Member
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/13/iain-duncan-smith-benefit-cap-evidence

Will this man stop at nothing to try to justify his policies:mad:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The inside of his head must be a very dark place.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes as there's nothing in it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A waste of space :)

Somewhere he is robbing a village of its idiot.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Already we've seen 8,000 people who would have been affected by the cap move into jobs. This clearly demonstrates that the cap is having the desired impact," Duncan Smith told the Daily Mail.

I love the obvious insinuation that people don't want to work and are deliberately living off the state. I don't suppose - if and I doubt it - any of his figures were right that he considered the possibility that the original ones were wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spin is too generous. He is and out and out liar. Always has been and always will be. Right back to the lies on his CV. He lied about what qualifications he had and where he attended, he has lied so many times since being in government it's hard to keep up, and he lied and fraudulently claimed money for work his wife didn't do as 'his assistant'. No decent employer would touch him with a bargepole let alone put him in charge of a department of government.

Newsnight reveals inaccuracies in Iain Duncan Smith's CV

Aspects of Iain Duncan Smith's CV, relating to his education, are inaccurate and misleading, an investigation by BBC Newsnight reveals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2002/12_december/19/newsnight_ids_cv.shtml

In conclusion, Mrs Duncan Smith was simply not a part of the integrated day to day organisation of Mr Duncan Smith's offices other than in her capacity as the wife of the Leader. She had no specific authority and no defined area of work or responsibility within what was a structured office organisation. Her contact with the office was irregular and usually limited to the matter of diary dates in which she or her sons and daughters were affected She would pass on messages regarding Mr Duncan Smith's personal arrangements and would if anything, generate work for Mrs Watson, Mr Duncan Smith's Private Secretary, in particular who dealt with her personal correspondence, invitations, liaison with the constituency and dress requirements.

Mrs Duncan Smith was being paid a salary from the Office Costs Allowance for work that was widely perceived amongst CCO staff not to have been carried out. This carried issues of propriety and political sensitivity with it.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmstnprv/476/476we17.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    "Already we've seen 8,000 people who would have been affected by the cap move into jobs. This clearly demonstrates that the cap is having the desired impact," Duncan Smith told the Daily Mail.

I love the obvious insinuation that people don't want to work and are deliberately living off the state. I don't suppose - if and I doubt it - any of his figures were right that he considered the possibility that the original ones were wrong.

From link:

"It may be that the benefit cap has indeed had the effect that Iain Duncan Smith would like it to have. That is perfectly possible but without doing the analysis – and it has not been done – you simply cannot say that and you shouldn't say it."

Portes said it was part of a "consistent pattern" which threatened to undermine public confidence in official statistics. "I think it is very unfortunate. These statistics are very important. Government analysts, economists statisticians work very hard to produce and they provide important information to the public," he said.

"It is very important that ministers should not seek to misrepresent what those stats actually do or don't show. That detracts from the public's faith in the analysis produced by government statisticians. "This is, I am afraid, a consistent pattern of trying to draw out of the statistics things which they simply don't show."
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Let him spin away. Before long he'll be spinning so fast he will spin himself down into Hades where he belongs.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't he considered that those 8,000 might have been due to start work anyway, as Feb/March is about when tourism based companies start hiring for the summer season? Unemployment usually drops here about this time of year then increases in the autumn.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what his spin will be on his IT system for UC.

The IT system for Universal Chaos...sorry...Universal Credit is set for delay and has all the hallmarks of a major government IT project failure, despite central government persisting that there are no problems to report and deadlines will be met. Only part of the final £500 million system that will be used will be to book appointments at job centres, with some personal details stored and used again. However, all final Universal Credit calculations will be carried out using spreadsheets under the pilot programme which will start only in one area in April - Ashton-under-Lyne

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?388208-Universal-Credit-s-%91digital-by-default%92-ditched&p=4201542
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    First glance I thought he was now king of spain.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more than spin to be honest, it's far worse than that.

Vulgar.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can someone like this be allowed to keep his job?
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »

Old Boys Club!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He isn't the only one though is he? Only a couple of weeks ago the same office rebuked Cameron for doing the same thing with statistics.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How can the cap force people into work if according to most people, those who were originally getting more than the cap, didn't need all the money they got?
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    How can the cap force people into work if according to most people, those who were originally getting more than the cap, didn't need all the money they got?

If you are looking for logic from IDS or any of the current benefits policies, you will be sorely disappointed.

Sickening lot. Next they will be telling us that Thatcher made Britain great again, but no, surely they couldn't sink that low.........
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    From link:

"It may be that the benefit cap has indeed had the effect that Iain Duncan Smith would like it to have. That is perfectly possible but without doing the analysis – and it has not been done – you simply cannot say that and you shouldn't say it."

Portes said it was part of a "consistent pattern" which threatened to undermine public confidence in official statistics. "I think it is very unfortunate. These statistics are very important. Government analysts, economists statisticians work very hard to produce and they provide important information to the public," he said.

"It is very important that ministers should not seek to misrepresent what those stats actually do or don't show. That detracts from the public's faith in the analysis produced by government statisticians. "This is, I am afraid, a consistent pattern of trying to draw out of the statistics things which they simply don't show."

Indeed, IDS is the master of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Politicians always do this. Did you seriously expect anything different? It's why the statisticians publish raw data rather than let politicians publish selected bits.
    James2001 wrote: »

Because he is keeping his master happy by doing it?