Options

Bid TV in trouble - can't pay suppliers, staff

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
Forum Member
✭✭
This was posted on the Shopping Telly forum last night anonymously by a Bid TV staffer. The channel is in huge trouble financially (to the tune of £60m + debt, apparently).

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?45126-BID-TV-Can-t-pay-creditors-staff-freelancers-and-suppliers

Comments

• Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    I think the days of these channels must be nearly over? They sort of bridged the gap before everyone had internet access of some sort
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Looks like they need Ocean Finance :p
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like they need Ocean Finance :p
    HAHAHA! :D

It's only a few channels numbers up isn't it? Someone should tweet them that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    HAHAHA! :D

It's only a few channels numbers up isn't it? Someone should tweet them that!

It's Sky channel 888, Freesat 650 and at cnbcwatcher's house after an Apple Store visit :p:D
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Just popped price drop tv on to see if it was on air.. is the camera work usually this bad? I could do a better job.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds so dire that I wouldn't be prepared to buy anything off them with immediate effect. Not that I ever have, just gazed in amusement at Peter Simon a few times! No guarantee goods will arrive. This channel could go off the air at a moments notice by the sound of it, with no warning. Can this person's post be corroborated anywhere else?
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if news of this spreads, it will dent confidence amongst buyers, they will not want to mention this on-air, as even them having to seemingly reassure people, will send out the wrong sign.

I honestly would not give a flying "pig" if any shopping channel closed (well im sure I know some people who work at Ideal World in Peterborough) but it will be of no loose what so ever to me.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    if news of this spreads, it will dent confidence amongst buyers, they will not want to mention this on-air, as even them having to seemingly reassure people, will send out the wrong sign.

I honestly would not give a flying "pig" if any shopping channel closed (well im sure I know some people who work at Ideal World in Peterborough) but it will be of no loose what so ever to me.

Id be gutted if QVC closed, I use them a lot
  • Options
    JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah my OH does too , i don't think QVC will go under as its very well respected and very popular.

Channels such as Price Drop , Bid TV etc... are a rip off though they charge you a bomb for Postage and Packaging not to mention the cost to Telephone them.

My mate orded something from Price Drop a few months ago and told me about their persistence into buying other things he didn't need and the person on the phone to him kept on and on for at least 10 minutes that's where they make money from you !!!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    That sounds so dire that I wouldn't be prepared to buy anything off them with immediate effect. Not that I ever have, just gazed in amusement at Peter Simon a few times! No guarantee goods will arrive. This channel could go off the air at a moments notice by the sound of it, with no warning. Can this person's post be corroborated anywhere else?

Yes, at the end of last year, the Sunday Times reported that the company was in deep doo and needed rescuing (which clearly hasn't worked out):
    A COMPANY doctor has rescued the lossmaking broadcaster behind television shopping channels Bid TV and Price Drop. Bryan Green, a former corporate restructuring lawyer, has taken control of Sit-Up, which also airs Speed Auction TV. The channels advertise products that start off at a high headline price and are then gradually reduced in an effort to tempt viewers to buy.

Sit-up claims its presenters perform more than 300 hours of demonstrations a week and the channels make 10m deliveries to customers every year. The company was bought from Aurelius, a German firm that invests in troubled businesses but had failed to stop profits sliding at Sit-Up.
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Tech_and_Media/article1357265.ece

I assume that the creditors will either have to accept a minuscule settlement with the possibility of future business from them or reject the offer, get nothing and watch these TV channels go under. If I were a large and powerful creditor, I'd go for the latter option. A 10% value offer is at least something, 1% is just taking the p1$$.
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would the buyer be covered by there card provider if they went under?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simon_More wrote: »
    Would the buyer be covered by there card provider if they went under?

Credit card, yes; debit card only possibly. I certainly wouldn't buy anything from them now that this news has come to light but then again I've never bought anything from any shopping channel cos they're not showing anything interesting. You can only have so much of non-stick pans.
  • Options
    Forum Member

QVC and Ideal World are entirely separate companies, they're not affected by this news and, as far as I know, they're not in any financial trouble (although Ideal World does sell what I regard as dubious goods sometimes but that's another matter).
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah my mum has a friend who buys from QVC and watches it (or used to watch) it all day and all night. I dread to think how she'd react if the channel closed down :o She'd probably go into mourning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah my mum has a friend who buys from QVC and watches it (or used to watch) it all day and all night. I dread to think how she'd react if the channel closed down :o She'd probably go into mourning.

...and no more glittery Diamonique* either :o:cry:

*which is just a fancy name for the cubic zirconia diamond simulant
    ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_zirconia
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    QVC won't be going anywhere. It's been around since 1993. The most respected and revered TV shopping brand in the world.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

do you really? I always wondered who did, even my mother doesn't go near it and she went through a daft phase of buying that tat advertised in magazine supplements until she she finally (with my persuasion amongst others) saw sense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    do you really? I always wondered who did, even my mother doesn't go near it and she went through a daft phase of buying that tat advertised in magazine supplements until she she finally (with my persuasion amongst others) saw sense

Yep I get all my nail polish and things like that from there. The prices are usually much cheaper than buying them directly from the company. Phone accessories and things like that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    QVC and Ideal World are entirely separate companies, they're not affected by this news and, as far as I know, they're not in any financial trouble (although Ideal World does sell what I regard as dubious goods sometimes but that's another matter).

I know I was responding to somebody saying they wouldn't care if any of them went under. I've never watched the one that is in trouble
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RayRidley wrote: »
    This was posted on the Shopping Telly forum last night anonymously by a Bid TV staffer. The channel is in huge trouble financially (to the tune of £60m + debt, apparently).

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?45126-BID-TV-Can-t-pay-creditors-staff-freelancers-and-suppliers

i thought it had gone anyway. I don't know how it keeps going.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they did close down, Two entertainment channels can go on to Freeview in there slot.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they did close down, Two entertainment channels can go on to Freeview in there slot.

If you ever see Peter Simon on Bid TV he seems to think he is an entertainer rather than the salesperson he is.

Cringe just doesn't do him justice. He fools nobody with his performance and over effusive banter. He really could make a fresh steaming turd seem like a tasty chocolate log! :blush:

How Bid TV and Price Drop TV continue to remain viable just defeats me. They just must be on borrowed time.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some reported news about the situation, pretty much bears out what we know anyway.
    http://www.hortweek.com/news/1283337/bid-tv-firm-hold-creditors-meeting/
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ever see Peter Simon on Bid TV he seems to think he is an entertainer rather than the salesperson he is.
    Strictly speaking, he is an entertainer rather than a salesman, I can remember him being on kids shows on the BBC years ago.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never use these auction channels but, like Hollie_Louise, I do patronise the Q regularly. Items I buy are either not available elsewhere, proprietory brands, or cheaper. But the main reason I use the Q, is the 30 money back guarantee, which allows me to make a purchase in the knowledge that, should it be unsuitable/unwanted, I can return it for a full refund. The customer services dept is first class and, in my experience, QVC will do their utmost to find a solution to any problem, and ensure the satisfaction of the customer.
    The fact that bidtv is in financial trouble, comes as no surprise; Debbie Greenwood worked there for a couple of months after leaving the Q, obviously to try and improve their economic situation. She has left now, so it was a short term thing. They couldn't afford her.
    You have to bear in mind that, fundamentally, the presenters on any shopping or auction channel, are sales people. If a high street shop has a slump in sales, the first thing they ask, is why? First in the firing line - pardon the pun - are the sales staff. Perhaps bid should take that approach.
    My aunt is absolutely addicted to this channel, but she fails to comprehend that, whilst the item may have been bought for £2.99, package and postage was £7.95, so she wasn't getting such a bargain after all. Are shoppers becoming more savvy, and aware of this?
    I think they could be in dire financial straits, due to the wages paid to presenters, and practical expenses such as premises. Then there is the payments to directors and other management personnel.
    I really don't think it is an issue with stock. Too many viewers still get an adrenalin rush, when they 'win' an item at what they believe is a 'next to nothing' price.