Famous people who you really respect

WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It would be nice to have a positive thread, so let's give this one a try. Who do you really admire, in terms of their professionalism and talent and who are not famous because of who they know or what tacky scadals they've been caught up ? I have the highest respect for people like:

Kate Bush
Benedict Cumberbatch
David Tennant
J.K Rowling
David Bowie
Adele
Jon Hamm
Helena Bonham-Carter

All hard working, all people who generally avoid posting to social media about every fart or sharing selfies every five minutes. Very refreshing in this day and age.

Comments

• Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first one that came to my head when I saw your title OP is Sir David Jason,il have to think of more as I'm sure I respect and admire a lot of celebrities but I do like David Jason ,he seems such a lovely humble man,:)
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh Jackmann - I read an interview once where he was talking about how his body, whilst he's an actor, is not his own and is there for whatever is needed for the role, which I thought was quite a dedicated way of thinking about it

Laurence Fox and Billie Piper - for not giving a stuff what they look like in public.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Cowell. He just says what he believes, does what he likes and doesn't give a monkeys what anyone thinks.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Cowell. He just says what he believes, does what he likes and doesn't give a monkeys what anyone thinks.

True that. X Factor might be watchable again this year.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I have mixed feelings about this as you can never really know another person from that sort of distance or from a public persona so the best you have is an impression of someone, which may or may not be accurate.

However, be that as it may, I still find myself liking certain characters, usually for some work they've done or some thought or sentiment they've expressed. Mostly writers and the odd musician. The one actor that springs to mind that I warmed to immediately was Michael Gambon. He's downright hilarious in a very self-deprecating way that I find quite charming.
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angelina Jolie, because she uses her celebrity to help highlight important causes and world problems, and genuinely seems to care about using her influence for good.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Andrew Lloyd-Webber. I'm not big into the theatre scene but I have a lot of respect for the guy and what he does.
  • Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moonbean wrote: »
    Angelina Jolie, because she uses her celebrity to help highlight important causes and world problems, and genuinely seems to care about using her influence for good.

I like Angelina as well, some people give her a lot of stick, but a lot of people don't know that she actually gives a third of any of her earnings (Film work, TV shows, appearances, etc) to UNICEF. Some might say well she can afford to, but she doesn't have to, she does it because she really cares about them, and it's a massive amount she gives them.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Izzard. Has done loads for charity and is a thoroughly nice bloke.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,007
    Forum Member
    Victoria Wood. The fact that a great many of the people she has worked over the years with have returned in future projects says so much about her as a talent, and a friend. I think so anyway.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More or less all of the above as well as some of our theatre 'dames'...Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Julie Walters and so on. All very talented and got where they are due to graft rather than seeking celebrity status in the way it tends to be done today.

There will be more. At the moment, I'm thinking more in terms of the entertainment industry (and those who are alive!) at the moment rather than people who have become famous for other reasons. There would be way too many to name....
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angelina for her amazing humanitarian work.

Cate Blanchett - what a talent.

Leonardo Di Caprio - the finest actor of his generation and a staunch environmentalist. Does loads for charity.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kylie Minogue
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Attenborough.
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Depp, he does a lot for charity.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterface wrote: »
    Eddie Izzard. Has done loads for charity and is a thoroughly nice bloke.

Was just about to type this. And his intelligence and humanity too.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about this as you can never really know another person from that sort of distance or from a public persona so the best you have is an impression of someone, which may or may not be accurate.

Very true, but obviously I'm basing opinions on their abilities and public personas as that's what we have to go on and I think that's fine. :)
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a massive soft spot for Ian McKellan.
    He's a fantastic actor ( particularly on stage ), a lovely person and does some amazing charity work.
    I bumped into him (literally) about 10 years ago, apologised profusely, realised who he was and apologised even more, at which he beamed at me, said "Don't worry darling" pecked me on the cheek and wafted off down the road.
    And his bromance with Patrick Stewart makes me :D
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way too many to list (and so many already mentioned above) but I have a huge respect for Jeff Bridges, both as an actor/activist and for the hands-on, passionate and compassionate way he uses his fame for good.

And of course he's The Dude. :D:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Norah Jones

beautiful girl who doesn't walk around with her arse out ; just makes great music
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bumped into him (literally) about 10 years ago, apologised profusely, realised who he was and apologised even more, at which he beamed at me, said "Don't worry darling" pecked me on the cheek and wafted off down the road.

That's lovely to hear :)
  • HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I don't really respect many famous people but the ones who seem to remember where they're from and still do everything possible to help others I have a lot of time for.

Hugh Jackman
    Gary Barlow
    Patrick Stewart
    James Mcavoy
    Ian Mckellan
    Helena Bonham Carter
    Shakira
    Ellie Goulding
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a newfound respect for Johnny Vegas having quite by accident ended up reading his autobiography.

Not a bit the asshole I assumed he was. He writes beautifully and what a story he has to tell.

And I adore Claire Balding. :)
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Whicker always appeared to be a genuine,charming man (sadly now gone).Also Val Doonican has few airs and graces and appears homely.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    More or less all of the above as well as some of our theatre 'dames'...Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Julie Walters and so on. All very talented and got where they are due to graft rather than seeking celebrity status in the way it tends to be done today.

Couldn't agree with you more. Such strong, intelligent women! I was lucky enough to see Dame Angela Lansbury in Blithe Spirit a few months ago. She's incredible - and still working at 88! I felt honoured to be in that audience watching her work.