I don't see Moffat leaving anytime soon

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
I feel that he's too into his role and he likes to be in control of Doctor Who. Although I think his time should be up at the end of Series 9 tops, I do see him going past that.

When do you think Moffat will leave? And when do you hope for him to leave?

I think he's got some wonderful ideas, but I think he will get blocked soon though.

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I feel that he's too into his role and he likes to be in control of Doctor Who. Although I think his time should be up at the end of Series 9 tops, I do see him going past that.

When do you think Moffat will leave? And when do you hope for him to leave?

I think he's got some wonderful ideas, but I think he will get blocked soon though.

Unfortunately they're the same handful of ideas that he's been recycling for the last 9 years. I really wanted him to leave with Smith.
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've enjoyed the last few years so I'm in no hurry for him to leave.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    To be honest - and I can't believe I am about to say this - but if Deep Breath is an indication of what is to come, I'm in no hurry for Moffat to leave.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I think he's already said that he's started work on series 9 hasn't he? Personally even as someone who has enjoyed his work I would have preferred him to leave at the end of this series as the show needs to keep reinventing itself to stay fresh, but obviously it's his decision. RTD knew when it was the right time for him to leave and I expect Moffat does too.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll be waiting for the next guy to leave during Series 10.

Feel free to save this post should Moffat still be here.
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat is still doing sterling work on Doctor Who. Yes, Saturday had elements of his previous work, but I think it was a transitional episode. There was lots of exciting new parts, which I will hope be explored more and expanded upon in the rest of series 8 and into series 9.

Moffat, well done. You continue to surprise and excite me in Doctor Who.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a sneaking suspicion he's off at the end of this season. But it might just be wishful thinking.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think Moffat is the weakest link in a strong bunch. The writing was very faulted last year, and Deep Breath wasn't perfect.

I thought it was more or less confirmed that Moffat was sticking around for Series 9 anyway? I think that'll be his last - he'll have done five series by then. It would compare nicely to RTD's four series and Tenth Doctor specials. :)
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is leaving after series 9 and there will be an announcement near the end of the year or early next year.
    Forum Member
    bp2 wrote: »
    I think he is leaving after series 9 and there will be an announcement near the end of the year or early next year.

And then several months of the big debate on who should take over!

Unless they announce it at the same time.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pleasenotgatisspleasenotgatisspleasenotgatiss
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    pleasenotgatisspleasenotgatisspleasenotgatiss

I so nearly wrote that myself!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    And then several months of the big debate on who should take over!

Unless they announce it at the same time.

Pretty sure they would announce the new guy at the same time.

Trying to recall what happened with RTD, I think we were told Moffat was replacing him the same time he announced he was leaving.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »

This is my hunch too. Five series, did the 50th and introduced two Doctors. Bloke deserves a rest, really. And as other FM's have said, new blood keeps things fresh. Of course *if* this is the case, the new Showrunner has already been chosen, surely? They plan quite far ahead, I'd guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I have a sneaking suspicion he's off at the end of this season. But it might just be wishful thinking.

He's not, he's already working on Series 9. He's already got the cliffhanger into the final episode.

Then again, they said Matt Smith was on for S8, so who knows!
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He presides over the Beeb's two biggest drama programmes, both sold right round the world and generating countless millions for Auntie? If he is enjoying his work, why would he leave?

Some people have complained about his writing. Well, you can't please everybody, nor can you guarantee that every effort will be right out of the top drawer. He is only human after all. On the other hand, he has produced more cracking scripts than any other writer for the programme, so credit where credit is due.

Oh, and if he does go, I think his replacement is most likely to be Mark Gatiss. I don't think he has produced his best for Dr. Who yet, but his Sherlock scripts are fine in my view, which suggests that he does have the capability.
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Pretty sure they would announce the new guy at the same time. Trying to recall what happened with RTD, I think we were told Moffat was replacing him the same time he announced he was leaving.

I am sure you are right. I think RTD actually referenced Moffat in his leaving statement - something about him standing outside the window laughing or something.
    Forum Member
    He presides over the Beeb's two biggest drama programmes, both sold right round the world and generating countless millions for Auntie? If he is enjoying his work, why would he leave?

Some people have complained about his writing. Well, you can't please everybody, nor can you guarantee that every effort will be right out of the top drawer. He is only human after all. On the other hand, he has produced more cracking scripts than any other writer for the programme, so credit where credit is due.

Oh, and if he does go, I think his replacement is most likely to be Mark Gatiss. I don't think he has produced his best for Dr. Who yet, but his Sherlock scripts are fine in my view, which suggests that he does have the capability.

The last really good script from Moffat was probably the Time of Angels two-parter. I think most people would agree that his best work is in the long-distant past e.g. Blink, Silence in the Library, The Eleventh Hour, The Pandorica Opens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last really good script from Moffat was probably the Time of Angels two-parter. I think most people would agree that his best work is in the long-distant past e.g. Blink, Silence in the Library, The Eleventh Hour, The Pandorica Opens.

I think most people agreed that his best work was nine months ago. Great to have an opinion - try to remember that you only speak for you.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    I think most people agreed that his best work was nine months ago. Great to have an opinion - try to remember that you only speak for you.

To be fair, people often vote recent stuff higher than they would once it's aged a bit. When everyone here voted for their favourite NuWho episodes last summer, The Name of the Doctor came out on top. It was still fresh in the mind, and I doubt that many people would rank that particular episode as their favourite.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is all a case of: 'be careful of what you wish for., it might come true...'

If you look at the list of all time best voted stories it's amazing how much he occupies the top twenty...

Also when you consider the workload he must churn through in trotting out all these scripts and editing others and then by-and-large producing good stories., then I personally have to conclude that this calibre of person is quite unique and there aren't many who could fill his shoes...

The show could really hit the buffers if he left so as I say 'be careful of wh....'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, people often vote recent stuff higher than they would once it's aged a bit. When everyone here voted for their favourite NuWho episodes last summer, The Name of the Doctor came out on top. It was still fresh in the mind, and I doubt that many people would rank that particular episode as their favourite.

If they voted for it cos it was recent, why did Time of the Doctor bomb? That's an exaggeration, it didn't rank atrociously, was still in the top half, but by comparison. The only regeneration stories it beat were Time and the Rani and the TVM.

Day of the Doctor may have been fresh in the audience's minds, but it was fresh in their minds as a whopping great success. And although I'm mystified by its popularity, the same is true of Name!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I am sure you are right. I think RTD actually referenced Moffat in his leaving statement - something about him standing outside the window laughing or something.

It was the other way round actually, Moffat said how RTD was standing at the Window laughing at him.
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »

The squee for Tennant clearly addled people's brains.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The squee for Tennant clearly addled people's brains.

Bollocks.