Options

Poll for how people think the series is going so far

DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
Forum Member
✭✭
I know its early days yet, but I though it might be worth adding a poll thats open ended so people can vote later if they want.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe best to wait until the end of the series? Surely the episode threads tell the ongoing story of peoples opinions.
  • Options
    StalwartUKStalwartUK Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it started in August.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes but this is an overall thing that people can vote at any time if they want, also the individual episode threads will get buried quickly once the next episodes come out!
    This thread could just bob around the first page of the Doctor Who forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StalwartUK wrote: »

Ive alerted the mods to it I cant edit the poll now its up unfortunately!:o
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've spoken to a few people and apparently they are shouting at the tv.:confused:
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    With only two episodes behind it (and not even a Christmas special you can count as a precursor to the series) it's indeed very early days. You can't tell much from the overall quality of a series from just the first two.

Tonally I think the series has picked up a lot since last year, I'm genuinely invested and interested again, and oh so pleased to have a new storyline to follow - the whole Silence/Question/Trenzalore things felt very tired by the end of last year and it's a breath of fresh air to have new stories again. In fact it feels quite refreshed in general, perhaps not as much as I'd have liked in places but then most of the quarrels I've had with the two episodes so far are found in the first half hour of Deep Breath.

Obviously there's been no stand out episode yet, and the leads have been promising even if they've not yet had the chance to show off the best stuff. Even then Jenna Coleman has impressed more in two episodes than she did in all of last year - as a result of more promising writing I feel, and consistent acting from her.

The word promising has cropped up a few times, so it's the word I think best describes Series 8 for me so far. There's still a certain spark missing that's been missing since Moffat took over, and I can't quite put my finger on it, but that's not to say the show isn't good...it's interesting me more right now than it has in a good few years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Far too early. Will take me at least six episodes to form a considered view. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like people's comments keep them coming, I know its early days, but there is the 3rd episode tomorrow and people can carry on giving their views as the weeks go on.

TBH I would like it if the mods could pin this thread too we shall see if they do!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StalwartUK wrote: »
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Ive alerted the mods to it I cant edit the poll now its up unfortunately!:o

The mods have fixed it now (thanks whoever that was!):D
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Based on the two episodes I would so far vote excellent, but I likely wouldn't vote at all until the end of the series. I feel like we haven't had a good arc which is resolved well since series 4, and feeling that things feel fresher this series I'm really hoping we will again this series, so even if I liked every episode of 1-10 the resolution of the 'missy' arc could still make me change my mind about how I feel about the series as a whole if it isn't good. Really hoping it is though.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good. But I think the series needs some good strong stories very soon.
    I've loved the tone, Peter Capaldi is very good indeed so far. I'm very impressed by his portrayal.
    But I want strong stories fast. I know I may be being impatient, but I want a big strong story to come along to establish Peter Capaldi properly and feel like the series has arrived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its still far too early to say, at least get half way before I start making my mind up.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's watchable. However, I'm dreading tonights episode.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^

This from the trailer it looked awful, maybe worse than last weeks episode.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    this forum will say its excellent regardless.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went with so so.
    To solid watchable episodes,no wow factor yet but nothing to make me switch off either.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    So-so
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. But I think the series needs some good strong stories very soon.
    I've loved the tone, Peter Capaldi is very good indeed so far. I'm very impressed by his portrayal.
    But I want strong stories fast. I know I may be being impatient, but I want a big strong story to come along to establish Peter Capaldi properly and feel like the series has arrived.

We've been spoiled, in recent years - The Eleventh Hour, The Impossible Astronaut and Asylum of the Daleks have all been tremendous ways to kick off a run. Deep Breath was good throughout, and frequently marvellous, but felt - despite a dinosaur vomiting up a TARDIS - a bit less audacious.

Business as usual. Good telly, and I am hearing people talk about it, but I don't know that it's setting anyone's water cooler on fire yet. If S8 carries on the good work of the first two episodes, it might be the kind of series that doesn't set people alight first time round, but really warms up with subsequent viewing, when it doesn't have to uphold the burden of being everything to everyone. The first two episodes have had very few whizzbangs, but loads of great storytelling, intrigue, and character stuff. It's more occupied with being interesting than exciting. We'll see where it goes, though. Very, very early days...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath was very enjoying and funny but not as good as I expected. I mean, plot was good, but I would expect from Moffat-written story a little bit more clever solution than just turning off all enemies by killing their leader. But, Strax was so great and funny and Capaldi was great and also funny, so I enjoyed episode very much.
    Into the Dalek was episode I didn't have high expectations because most of Dalek stories from previous seasons was more less poor. On the other hand, Into the Dalek was much better (but still average) so I am satisfied.

So,
    Deep Breath 7.5/10
    Into the Dalek 6.5/10

So, it is not bad beginning, but I believe it will become even better later in season. I have huge expectations from Listen, Mummy, Flatline and Forest of the Night. It definitely has a potential.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather wait until I've seen at least half the series before I make any sort of judgement.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So-so at best. I agree it's still too early to be sure. but almost every other series of New-Who has been better than this at 3 eps in
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Declining in quality so far. Episode 1 exceeded my expectations, 2 met them, 3 lowered them.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just not going well for me at all :(

Nothing seems to be working for me. Peter just isn't right in the role, the Doctor has to be likeable, he just plainly isn't in this version. He doesn't have any chemistry with dull as anything Clara either. As a result, if the show's leading duo aren't doing anything for you then it's going to be a struggle.

The fact they've actively tried to slow things down isn't working for me either. We're having longer scenes that aren't adding to the episodes for me. It feels like change for the sake of it.

Other things like the music (which has been largely forgettable) and iffy directing (episodes 1 & 2 I'm referring to here) aren't helping things either for me. It's not feeling like Doctor Who for me this time round.

I want to like this series but I'm not. It's like S2 all over again. I hated that series, it's my least favourite. At this rate, it may have a rival to that crown now...
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    I want to like this series but I'm not. It's like S2 all over again. I hated that series, it's my least favourite. At this rate, it may have a rival to that crown now...

Well, Series Three had some great stuff: Blink, the Family of Blood two-parter, & the Utopia trilogy. So perhaps there will soon be an upturn.

I think the three adventures so far have been mediocre, though not without merit.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I already prefer it to season 6 and 7, so I voted 'Excellent'