Right click won't work in XP

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't know what to do here but it's been pretty bad of late, 70% of the time it works but 30% it won't. If i right click on the taskbar, desktop icons, in an open windows explorer window and right click a file or try to extract from a zipped file, all i get is the egg timer on show and the window freezes. I can left click start and open the same window but once i try a right click the egg timer is on and nothing else happens.

The only thing that clears it is i have to use task manager and end the task or end the explorer process and run it again. I can right click anywhere on the desktop and the context menu appears but once i try on the taskbar icons, or a file i just get the egg timer and a freeze. I should get a menu when i right click but it just hangs.

I have recovered a backup xp image from my external 2 or 3 times ove the last 2 months but the same thing starts again after a while and cannot right click in certain areas. Is the issue an OS problem or is it the SSD hard drive? i have lost 6% health on the drive and it's 2.5 years old.

If i restart and once to the desktop, i can right click a file, the icons etc for maybe 1 minute before the issue appears. A right click of the taskbar works but a right click on the green start button it hangs then i have to kill explorer again >:(

I just don't know what the issue is, windows 8 seeems ok but who's to say that won't have the same issue? :(

It seems that the context menu will not appear.

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Don't know what to do here but it's been pretty bad of late, 70% of the time it works but 30% it won't. If i right click on the taskbar, desktop icons, in an open windows explorer window and right click a file or try to extract from a zipped file, all i get is the egg timer on show and the window freezes. I can left click start and open the same window but once i try a right click the egg timer is on and nothing else happens.

The only thing that clears it is i have to use task manager and end the task or end the explorer process and run it again. I can right click anywhere on the desktop and the context menu appears but once i try on the taskbar icons, or a file i just get the egg timer and a freeze. I should get a menu when i right click but it just hangs.

I have recovered a backup xp image from my external 2 or 3 times ove the last 2 months but the same thing starts again after a while and cannot right click in certain areas. Is the issue an OS problem or is it the SSD hard drive? i have lost 6% health on the drive and it's 2.5 years old.

If i restart and once to the desktop, i can right click a file, the icons etc for maybe 1 minute before the issue appears. A right click of the taskbar works but a right click on the green start button it hangs then i have to kill explorer again >:(

I just don't know what the issue is, windows 8 seeems ok but who's to say that won't have the same issue? :(

It seems that the context menu will not appear.

What is the process in task manager using all the cpu ?
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eventually found the issue, it seesm it was a shell extension in a program i'm using and had to disable it, seems good now for the time being.