Can dogs see ghosts?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
Forum Member
To all the dog owners on here...

Have you ever caught your dog staring at something you cannot see, following it around the room and barking at empty space....?

Do you think dogs have the ability to see ghosts?

Comments

• riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some older dogs do that when they're starting to go senile, often in the evening /night but I've known younger perfectly healthy ones to do that too so who knows!
    In some cases it can be a sign of a type of epilepsy.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well - as I don't believe in ghosts! :D My lab drived me mad fixating and barking at nothing, until I started to check reflections. Example - jumping up and barking every time I let him at night - until I realised he was seeing his own reflection in the conservatory. Same in the back window - he is seeing the reflection of the TV.
    Of course - there is always the odd pigeon on the fence - or even - the very worst - a squirrel! I guess dogs just see threats everywhere - especially in windows....lol
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Not sure about dogs but our cat is always staring at the invisible, babies do it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok here is a story for you.

We recently stayed in a very old holiday cottage and the dog slept downstairs. Every night at 2 am we were woken with him barking quite aggressively ( he normally never barks) At first we persumed it was just strange noises in new surroundings so just sort of ignored him. My son fell asleep one evening watching tv and on the dot of 2am the dog barked again but as my son was in the room he also woke up and said the dog was barking madly at the armchair. If it was me I would have run like mad but he is not the easily scared sort so stayed in the room. He told us the next day that it was just like he was barking at someone in the chair. Yikes.

Anyway take what you will from that story. I just know I never quite relaxed in the cottage even before I knew about the armchair but then I am very easily scared.