Richard Bacon how the hell does he get this job

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Shock horror a 5 live blog article of the usual spin on poor Rajar figures has appeared; let’s see how much censorship of comments takes place
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    And what is he doing at the mo......making contacts, going to places to help further his fortune rather than be a long term BEEB talent.

And you make it sound like that is a bad thing!

Most of us want to make contacts & further our career. Why should RB be held to some higher standard just because he works for the BBC?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's found his level with "Beer and Pizza".
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    And what is he doing at the mo......making contacts, going to places to help further his fortune rather than be a long term BEEB talent.

In the uncertain world of the media these days that's just called common sense.

Loyalty works both ways ... most companies, understandably, will ditch you in a second if the figures fall off a cliff. It ain't like most people's lives where, subject to redundancies, they're normally safe to plough a furrow doing one single job. On that basis it's quite wise to have more than one iron in the fire.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    And what really annoys me is that RB will be off from the BEEB in a few years as i do not see any long tern loyality from him taking place (unlike say Mao).

Well with a second series of the prestigious Beer & Pizza Club commissioned the world is his oyster. Maybe he will miss his minor celebrity and media friends in London when he has to spend 4 days a week in Salford and decides to move on to new projects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    While enjoying the break from Dick Bacon this week during Cheltenham with the excellent John Inverdale, I remembered Bacon once said:

"I know there are some listeners who don't like me and some of the things I have brought to the programme. If I wanted to stop annoying the minority of people I could strip them out, but it's not who I am and it's not what I want to do. It's not to say I don't care what people say on these [internet] forums, but when nobody's complaining I would probably consider myself to have got a bit too bland."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/11/richard-bacon-bbc-5-live

He doesn’t get as much criticism now, is loved by the Media Guardian, so has he got ‘bland’ or have previous Mayo devotees just switched to the Archers or switched off? Has he improved, or is it down the BBC Trust review of 5 live resulting in features like 'Help' being dropped? (But for some reason the Moan-In survives?)
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my case, I stopped listening.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't know as I haven't listened for months.
  • guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t really care if Dick Bacon’s listening figures are up or down as it doesn’t change the fact his programme is dumbed down trivial rubbish that should not be on a news station, we’ll never know anyway as 5 live doesn’t release individual programme figures. I notice that when the Rajar figures can be spun as good news they are in the news bulletins and there is a blog post by the controller saying how wonderful things are but this time with 5 live listening figures being down for a second quarter in a row and year on year there is no blog post. Let’s just have some quality, interesting and intelligent programmes on what is meant to be a news and sports radio station.

I absolutely agree with you!

Afternoons are a desert for me - I don't like sport, I'm not keen on radio drama and I'm allergic to Julia Hartley-Brewer on LBC.
    I might as well watch Alan bloomin' Titchmarsh as listen to Richard Bacon.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Was there any point in rehashing a two year thread for this?

People have probably just got used to him. All new presenters get heaps of abuse when they first arrive at a station.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Was there any point in rehashing a two year thread for this?

People have probably just got used to him. All new presenters get heaps of abuse when they first arrive at a station.

Some get continual abuse for many years...
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    droopsnout wrote: »
    In my case, I stopped listening.

So did I. From being a regular listener to the daytime output of BBC Radio fivelive I have not listened now for a couple of years.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I only dip in occasionally, he is not as bad as he used to be and many of the irritating features have been dropped like ‘Help’ and trivial text in. When I have listened, he still doesn’t come across as well prepared and researched.

There is still a lack of alternatives to listen to in the afternoons, Archers and Afternoon play make R4 a no go, Steve Wright not a chance, Talk Sport is not for me, Julia Hartley-Brewer on LBC very occasionally.

Despite having no interest in horse racing I have enjoyed Cheltenham with John Inverdale, just a shame Clare Balding is no longer part of the team.
  • LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guest5234 wrote: »
    He is a blubbering idiot on the radio and comes across as quite thick :confused: how did he get the job?
    Pure talent that's how.
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the moan in on a Wednesday afternoon, but otherwise, I find the 'I've got a book/film/tv show to plug' format of talk radio in the UK decidedly dull.
  • mgbstagmgbstag Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Dick Bacon"..........that name still makes me laugh out loud.
  • cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Stopped listening, and switch off the Tv if his gurning face appears on there
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's got an annoying smug voice
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    He's got an annoying smug voice

I think he's just confident, having been privately educated. His father's a criminal lawyer too, which obviously helped (?)
    guest5234 wrote: »
    He is a blubbering idiot on the radio and comes across as quite thick :confused: how did he get the job?

His face fits and he's been in the right places at the right time.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy Richard Bacon's Programme. He is unique and when interviewing asks questions that need asking, without fear of sounding silly. He has the gift of humilty. diverse topics and a fun 2 hours.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    And this post has been bumped up after almost a year for what reason?
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    And this post has been bumped up after almost a year for what reason?

My guess is it's because Channel 4 has chosen him to front a debate on Benefits Street tonight.

The BBC is not the only broadcaster to rate him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    My guess is it's because Channel 4 has chosen him to front a debate on Benefits Street tonight.

Not another debate on Benefits Street.... if it is anything like the one Matthew Wright presented last week, God Help us.
  • mgbstagmgbstag Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    I think he's just confident, having been privately educated. His father's a criminal lawyer too, which obviously helped (?)

Must of helped during the Blue Peter exit.
  • LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »

The debates been canned till next week