Move e-mails to different account. . .

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I want to move from BT to Sky as BT are just awful . . .

What's the best way to remove my e-mails from Bt & onto my new account or even just a free e-mail account or even outlook express or ?

I'd rather do this before I move, just to be sure I get everything.

I've got a lot of e-mails & folders too & also a Mac account, but I dont think you can have folders in my Mac account, I'm not sure . . . (?)

I use a Mac, so I'm not sure if Outlook works with Mountain Lion . . .

I don't have any windows on my Mac . . . .

Any advice ?

Thanks in advance . . . .

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by Mac account? Do you mean the Mail application on the Mac? if so then as far as I know you can create folders in that. You could point that at the BT account and then get it to download all the messages to the Mac hard drive. If you don't need to access them from any other device then no real point copying them back to any new online account.

You might be able to pay BT a small fee (think it's £1.60 a month) to keep your BT account live.

What exactly do you mean by Outlook? There is the Outlook web mail service which you can access via a web browser so that should work on a Mac. There is Outlook the mail client in Microsoft Office. There is a Mac version of that, use it myself on Mountain Lion. Or there is Outlook Express (not to be confused with Outlook) which as far as I am aware doesn't have a Mac OS version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Yes, I have a mac.com email address because of iTunes, I don't use it for anything else.
    I will have a look at the outlook mail client in Microsoft office for the mac then.
    I just want to transfer with the least amount of hassle & have all my existing folders . .
    Thanks for your help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outlook for Mac is not free and possibly over the top for what you want.

I was under the impression that Mountain Lion came with an e-mail client built in. So do you not have the Mail app on your Mac then?

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/mac-apps/mail/

That would be perfectly adequate and save you a few quid into the bargain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there's a mail app, it seems really basic compared to my Bt account . .
    I'll have a look at it more closely, it didn't look to me like I could have folders etc with the mac mail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hootie wrote: »
    Yes there's a mail app, it seems really basic compared to my Bt account . .
    I'll have a look at it more closely, it didn't look to me like I could have folders etc with the mac mail.
    You can create folders in Mac Mail, just that for reasons best known to Apple, Mail calls them Mailboxes.

Which can cause a bit of confusion if you've come from Windows where a Mailbox tends to apply to a specific e-mail account and you have folders under it. But if you can get your head round it it is actually pretty capable.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    If you're happy working with a command line I can recommend the "IMAP Tools" scripts, I've used them to backup and migrate hundreds of MBs of mail between servers.

The latest version (http://www.athensfbc.com/imap_tools/) is now charged for, it used to be free, but there's a free fork at: http://code.google.com/p/imaputils/downloads/list
    (I haven't tried that free fork personally).