Jason Donovan on Neigbours return: "It's just not something I wanna do"

GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
Forum Member
Sunday Brunch Interview at 10:40.

Comments

• Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    But at least he did confirm he appears in the 30th Anniversary documentary.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    I liked how they asked the question, and how he answered matter-of-factly. No PR spin or unnecessary mystery.

I guess the doco is the best we can hope for. I hope it's going to air on C5?
  • Options
    baisbaisbaisbais Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than Kylie being all "we couldn't fit it in", and the Neighbours producers saying "we will go anywhere in the world, any time." "Um.. still nah."
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason and Kylie seem to have some sort of resentment for the show that catapulted them to fame. Both do not like talking about their time on the show when asked, nor show any desire for a one-off return.

they are both only taking part in the documentary for monetary and time reasons. A few brief snippets of them talking for a few seconds does not take long to film.

Kylie even tried to block repeats of the show a few years back claiming she didn't want her character (Charlene) to ever be seen again on screens - luckily Reg Grundy basically told her to get stuffed as it was up to him whether repeats occur or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I hate both jason and kylie with a passion if it wasn't for neighbours where would they be.
  • Options
    baisbaisbaisbais Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't like that sort of ingratitude.

Although, tbh, it might be managers' decisions rather than theirs...
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Jason and Kylie seem to have some sort of resentment for the show that catapulted them to fame. Both do not like talking about their time on the show when asked, nor show any desire for a one-off return.

they are both only taking part in the documentary for monetary and time reasons. A few brief snippets of them talking for a few seconds does not take long to film.

Kylie even tried to block repeats of the show a few years back claiming she didn't want her character (Charlene) to ever be seen again on screens - luckily Reg Grundy basically told her to get stuffed as it was up to him whether repeats occur or not.

Melissa George who played Angel in Home & Away is the same. She gets annoyed when people ask her about it and just seems to want to forget she was ever in it. The reason Dieter Brummer who played Shane asked to be killed off is because he didn't like working with her.
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Sigh. Really, how hard would it be for them to film a five minute cameo? I'd have settled for a Skype call with Daniel.
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie made a decision to leave Neighbours in 1988 to concentrate on her singing career, which overall has been a massive success.

Rumours of her returning to Neighbours have been going around for many years, and I think it would look odd for her to be in it now.

Yes she wouldn't be where she is now without Neighbours, but it was her and Jason that got Neighbours viewing figures that they could only dream of these days. She was good for them and vice versa. They owe each other nothing.
  • Options
    Flash81tFlash81t Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Fair play to him, he was honest and said how he feels. It would be great if TPTB could have enticed him and Kylie to come back for a cameo, but they are both entirely within their right to say no.

I hate how people feel so entitled, demanding that people return to things that they left behind years ago. The 80's was a very long time ago, can anyone really say they would take time out of their lives to revisit a job they did 25+ years ago.

Jason and Kylie made their names on the show, that is true, but in no way does that mean they owe the show anything.
  • Options
    pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it was reported a while ago that he said it'd be something they (Kylie and Jason) should do together or not at all. It turned out Kylie wasn't up for it so maybe that's why? Okay, maybe I'm not sure but I think I read that :p

To be honest I don't think people "owe" shows anything. They play a part and then leave..sometimes they come back, but their career is what they make it. Fair enough they achieved a certain degree of recognition from it but it's not the only factor. Compare Kylie to Jason..they left and achieved different degrees of success. The Hemsworth brothers seem to have made it big..all of them started out on the soaps but achieved different levels of fame. If the show was solely responsible for this, wouldn't they have have achieved similar levels.?
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it was reported a while ago that he said it'd be something they (Kylie and Jason) should do together or not at all. It turned out Kylie wasn't up for it so maybe that's why? Okay, maybe I'm not sure but I think I read that :p

To be honest I don't think people "owe" shows anything. They play a part and then leave..sometimes they come back, but their career is what they make it. Fair enough they achieved a certain degree of recognition from it but it's not the only factor. Compare Kylie to Jason..they left and achieved different degrees of success. The Hemsworth brothers seem to have made it big..all of them started out on the soaps but achieved different levels of fame. If the show was solely responsible for this, wouldn't they have have achieved similar levels.?

Maybe so but it is Kylie's (and also Jason's) arrogance that annoys me. There are countless articles out there that state she tried to block repeats of Neighbours for which she featured in. Two examples are below:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s14/neighbours/news/a278008/kylie-minogue-tried-to-block-neighbours.html#~p0q0valRsZT21K

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1313722/Kylie-Minogues-legal-battle-block-repeats-old-Neighbours-episodes.html
    Grundy added: 'But she said we couldn't use the tapes because she didn't want us to use them.

'And we said, "No, we own the tapes". And she had to accept it.'

She was clearly embarrassed to have appeared on the show once her music career grew. To me this stinks of being ungrateful to a show that helped grow her fanbase and opened opportunities for her to get into music.

Also what exactly has Jason being doing? You don't hear much of him nowadays and he is hardly rushed off his feet with work by the looks of it.

Craig McLachlan on the other hand did state he would of returned if his filming schedule for "The Doctor Blake Mysteries" had not of conflicted.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delete.
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Jason, saw him in Priscilla. I do find it disappointing however that they don't wanna associate themselves with the show. Very sad tbh :/
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Sigh. Really, how hard would it be for them to film a five minute cameo? I'd have settled for a Skype call with Daniel.
    He said he wasn't interested in returning, but said he did the documentary, which he described as being really important in celebrating the show. If he had time to film the doco, then why didn't he have time to film a Skype call with Daniel and Paul?
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't be forced to return, I had truly hoped both would appear for the 30th anniversary, it seemed so obvious to bring in their son in order to facilitate a brief return, but their attitudes seem to have put paid to that...no-one can make them return...but it would have been nice if they spared the time, Jason especially, seeing as he isn't exactly a megastar.

All those who have suggested that Kylie and Jason have bad attitudes concerning Neighbours are completely correct, to be in any way 'embarrassed' by what was at one point, a national institution in this country, Kylie owes completely her music career to the exposure she recieved on Neighbours, she wouldn't have been a flicker on the radar of Stock, Aitken and Waterman if not for the status of the show, she'd have been a nobody in Oz. She least she could do is a small cameo on the show! Just to say thanks. To be ashamed of it beggars belief!