Options

AMC's The Killing - US remake

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
Forum Member
✭✭
From AMC, the channel that brought you Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Rubicon and The Walking Dead here's the official trailer for the US remake of The Killing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piOBK_6jFCU

I think it looks really good! I really hope a UK channel or FXUK picks this up.

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like its following the Danish version pretty closely - at least at the start. I expect it'll be too soon after seeing the original for me but I hope it does well as it does look good.

Sadly they haven't quite managed to cast such a stong lead as the Danes did - I am talking about the sweater of course ;)
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Is it true that in the Danish show Sarah wears that sweater in EVERY episode? I don't know what social convention dictates in the UK, but on my side of the Atlantic showing up at work every day in the same clothing (not counting coat/jacket) would be considered not just weird, but GROSS. Seriously, co-workers would start out joking about it and then get downright mean if the behaviour persisted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She may have more than one identical sweaters.

It's like she may have gone to Marks & Spencer and bought, like, five of them all the same because she likes it and doesn't want to have to think about what she's wearing because it's not important to her.

Perhaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dsrichard wrote: »
    She may have more than one identical sweaters.

It's like she may have gone to Marks & Spencer and bought, like, five of them all the same because she likes it and doesn't want to have to think about what she's wearing because it's not important to her.

Perhaps.

I read that those sweaters cost 280 Euros a pop. So no, she doesn't have more than one of them. Not unless she is a corrupt cop taking -- what's the British word? -- "back-handers.":D Maybe whoever killed the Danish girl should just pay Sarah off -- in money or in over-priced sweaters.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah does have other sweaters and sometimes she's just wearing her under vest. I think the sweater was missing for an episode or two around ep 10 or 11 (when Sarah was two timing with a dark blue one) - 'cos I remember nodding familiarly to it when it showed up again:D
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Might give this a try, AMC is really going some big show these days.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching the original Danish version which was great and wondering if the US version will be shown on UK TV.Does anyone know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Just finished watching the original Danish version which was great and wondering if the US version will be shown on UK TV.Does anyone know?

No UK channel has purchased the right to show the remake in the UK. Not yet, anyway. I have said elsewhere that I could see something like FX eventually picking it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info.I hope it's FX that get it but ive got a feeling that it will end up on Sky Atlantic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info.I hope it's FX that get it but ive got a feeling that it will end up on Sky Atlantic!

Yes, that is another possibility. Anyway, looking at what you said in the TV Programmes thread, I assumed you were going to download after the American broadcasts. Did I misinterpret? Because if I was right, I don't suppose it matters when or where the show turns up in the UK -- for you, at least.:D
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Is it true that in the Danish show Sarah wears that sweater in EVERY episode? I don't know what social convention dictates in the UK, but on my side of the Atlantic showing up at work every day in the same clothing (not counting coat/jacket) would be considered not just weird, but GROSS. Seriously, co-workers would start out joking about it and then get downright mean if the behaviour persisted.
    It's an over-sweater. It would be like wearing the same cardigan, jacket or coat for ten days, not like wearing the same knickers.It's also pure wool, isn't it. Washing it too often would ruin it.

Do guys get their suits dry-cleaned after every wearing in Canada?

I am looking forward to the AMC version and to complaining about the changes :) I don't see how Forbrydelsen could be bettered but wow, if it could...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's an over-sweater. It would be like wearing the same cardigan, jacket or coat for ten days, not like wearing the same knickers.

We have sweaters and cardigans in North America too, and even taking into account wearing another shirt under the sweater (some do that here, some don't), wearing something two days in a row (not counting jackets and coats) is seen here as very weird. Outside of any hygiene issues, It is viewed as either a style faux pas, or a sign of being too poor to afford a daily change of clothing.
    It's also pure wool, isn't it. Washing it too often would ruin it.

Do guys get their suits dry-cleaned after every wearing in Canada?

People who wear suits for work here never wear the same suit two days in a row. They accept huge dry cleaning bills as a matter of course.
    I am looking forward to the AMC version and to complaining about the changes :) I don't see how Forbrydelsen could be bettered but wow, if it could...

I have seen the first episode of Forbrydelsen (but no more than that), and the final five minutes of the first episode of the US pilot. The American rendering of the whole scene where the girl is found in the car and the father finds out his daughter is dead, and the mother hears her husband over the phone, seemed to me to me to be much more effectively done in the American version. Just the way it was filmed, the choices the actors made. Now, that's just one scene. Maybe there will be a lot of other parts where the Danish version trumps the American counterpart. Since the US version is only 13 episodes, and the episodes will be shorter than the Danish episodes, there will have to be things cut out, so that has me a bit concerned.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor who plays Lund chose the sweater because it reflected her character:

It was Gråbøl who decided upon Lund's attire: "We had a costume meeting and I saw that sweater and thought: 'That's it!'," she says, despite the jumper being decidedly unpolice-like. "The reason it's so perfect is because it tells so many stories. It tells of a person who doesn't use her sexuality – that's a big point. Lund's so sure of herself she doesn't have to wear a suit. She's at peace with herself." - the Guardian

So wearing the same sweaters for the whole 20 days is a sign of Lund's obsessive nature. She's meant to seem weird - it's why we like her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    The actor who plays Lund has explained that the choice of sweater was an important part of her character.

- the Guardian

Wearing the same sweaters throughout the 20 days is a sign of her obsessive nature. She's meant to be somewhat weird: that's why people like her.

Yes, I did read that: I have been following The Guardian's coverage of the show, just trying to avoid the stuff that gets into plot details.

(Edit: It also occurs to me that the Danish actress said something in The Guardian about the sweater being some kind of left-wing statement. A lot of Americans wouldn't be cool with that.:))

I am not sure the US audience would react the same way Europeans apparently do to a lead character wearing the same sweater every day. Americans are fine with "weird," but they prefer Adrian Monk weird -- an obsession with cleanliness.:D
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Americans are fine with "weird," but they prefer Adrian Monk weird -- an obsession with cleanliness.:D
    I suspect we don't find Monk a sympathetic character. I certainly don't, although I enjoy the programme as a crime drama. Lund seems much more in keeping with the northern European tradition of detectives as incomplete people who need their work more than relationships or quality of life. Personal hygiene is optional in European crime fiction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Personal hygiene is optional in European crime fiction.

I think a lot of fans of Forbydelsen may not be aware that it is not JUST a Danish show. It is a German co-production. Now, Germans certainly have a reputation for being obsessed with cleanliness. I am unaware of any exception being made for their detectives.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes MoreTears I am planning on downloading it.Although if a UK channel was showing it soon then I would have been tempted to wait at UK pace.At the moment it's looking more likely that I will watch at US pace
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes MoreTears I am planning on downloading it.Although if a UK channel was showing it soon then I would have been tempted to wait at UK pace.At the moment it's looking more likely that I will watch at US pace

Motthus, if you -- or anybody else -- are interested, there is a video on the internet that shows a panel discussion about the remake that took place at a TV festival in Denmark in 2010. It has scenes from the remake (not just clips of seconds from different scenes like you see in trailers), including the last five minutes of the pilot. The panel lasted a full hour. If you just want to check out the final five minutes of the pilot, you can skip ahead to about the 54 minute mark of the video. They basically conclude the panel discussion with it. You can click on the link to the video I provided on page 29 of The Killing thread in the TV Programmes forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of fans of Forbydelsen may not be aware that it is not JUST a Danish show. It is a German co-production. Now, Germans certainly have a reputation for being obsessed with cleanliness. I am unaware of any exception being made for their detectives.:D

By the way its Forbrydelsen not Forbydelsen

going by

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0826760/companycredits

it lists

Production Companies

Danmarks Radio (DR)
    Norsk Rikskringkasting (NRK)
    in co-production with
    Sveriges Television (SVT)
    in co-production with
    Nordvision (supported by) (as Nordvisionsfonden)

so not sure where you got your information from with regards Germany { although they did screen it in 2008 on ZDF } and its not true that she only wears the same Jumper in every episode as occasionally she does wear a tan Jumper .

No remake can be as good as the original and I believe the American remake is 12 episodes { + a pilot } rather than twenty episodes so something is bound to get lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can click on the link to the video I provided on page 29 of The Killing thread in the TV Programmes forum.
    Or alternatively, click here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or alternatively, click here.

Thanks for taking the time to put that here.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    By the way its Forbrydelsen not Forbydelsen

Yes, I have seen, and spelled the word correctly, many times. That time I made a typo.:(

About it being a German co-production: I have read a lot of articles about the show. One of them said a German co-producer was involved in making the show. I wish I could remember which article it was and refer you to it. If you don't want to take my word for it, I understand.
    No remake can be as good as the original...

That remains to be seen. It could be worse. It could be as good. Frankly, it could be better. What I have seen is a lot of evidence of people strongly rooting against the US remake before they have even seen it. Or denouncing it without seeing it. There are different trailers for the remake on YouTube, and one person's comment on one of them -- the extended four minute trailer -- denounces how "sunny" everything looks -- notwithstanding the omnipresent greyness, clouds, and rain on evidence in the video -- and says the whole thing looks like fans could have made it, notwithstanding that the remake no doubt had a much higher budget than the Danish series. In short, there are people who will say the silliest things they can to further their agenda of rubbishing the US remake. Maybe they do it out of loyalty to the original. Maybe they just resent the US. There can be different motives for different people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The conference that MoreTears mentioned above is indeed very interesting and informative.

I had no idea that the remake was going over two seasons. That means that in terms of time, the original and the remake not that far off: 20x60 minutes vs 26x43 minutes. That's a loss of only 82 minutes and not the whopping seven hours plus 25% reduction that I was expecting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The conference that MoreTears mentioned above is indeed very interesting and informative.

I had no idea that the remake was going over two seasons. That means that in terms of time, the original and the remake not that far off: 20x60 minutes vs 26x43 minutes. That's a loss of only 82 minutes and not the whopping seven hours plus 25% reduction that I was expecting.

You know, I don't remember them saying that. At what point in the hour, approximately, do they state that? I did read that AMC only ordered one season of 13 episodes, which means they could cancel the show with nothing being resolved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...not sure where you got your information from with regards Germany { although they did screen it in 2008 on ZDF }...

I found the article. The New York Times website has an article on The Killing right now, in the television section. The article quotes Alexander Coridas, and refers to him as "president and chief executive of ZDF Enterprises, a German company that co-produced the series." So is ZDF Enterprises different than the ZDF channel?