Options

Do the ratings prove this forum is out of touch?

BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
Forum Member
Night 1
[HIGHLIGHT]5.2 million viewers;
Channel 5's fourth highest overnight rating of all-time and easily their most watched programme of 2011;
attracted a higher audience share (22%) than the CBB 2010 premiere on Channel 4 (21%).[/HIGHLIGHT]

Night 2
[HIGHLIGHT]3.2 million viewers;
Channel 5's second highest overnight rating of 2011;
beat everything else in its timeslot bar a new episode of My Family on BBC One;
grew its audience throughout the hour.[/HIGHLIGHT]

Night 3
[HIGHLIGHT]2.7 million viewers;
Channel 5's third highest overnight rating of 2011;
highest rating for a summer Saturday highlights show since 2008;
helped Channel 5 secure third place in the primetime shares for the third night in a row, beating rivals BBC Two and Channel 4.[/HIGHLIGHT]

These numbers are seriously impressive. Channel 5 have given the programme a new lease of life. Obviously it's still early days but even if it was to fall some more it still has plenty of breathing space before it would be anywhere near disappointing territory. The drops that it has experienced have been in line, or smaller even, than what occurred when the show was on Channel 4. So trying to link the decline to the changes to the format doesn't work. It's normal.

What a shame then, that with the programme successfully reborn it would appear, that this subforum is just going round and round in circles over the issue of live feed and filling every thread with negativity. I've lost track of the number of doom merchants who are predicting some kind of crisis - there's no evidence of it yet!

Time to just let it go for this series at least and enjoy the show for what it is - a thoroughly entertaining undemanding hour of television! :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    yes deffo out of touch i think people have got a bit to cranky in there old age!!!!its a good start!! i just hope it keep it momentum!
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, 2.7 million is excellent, and should not be sniffed at. ;)

Particularly on a Saturday night when most young people are out clubbing.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I was really annoyed at the changes, but today i'm really pleased that Channel 5 bought the show back to life. I would like live feed back, but if they don't, it's not the end of the world. It would be nice if it manages to rate well for weeks to come.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Channel 5 have given the programme a new lease of life.

It already had life as the figures at the start of this series showed. Channel 5 though could strangle the life out of it very quickly.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good post Dancc. It was a little disappointing to hear about the live feed as I dipped in and out of watching it from time to time myself, but the series has started now and is well underway so I think it's time to let the live feed issue go.

I really enjoyed last night's programme and I like what Channel 5 has done. They're presenting it really well.

Still, I think it's early days to judge the show a success. It's had a very promising start though. I think once the civilian BB kicks in then it'll be a good time to judge. I get the feeling that the celebrity Big Brother will always do better and have much more interest than the civilian version. Hopefully Desmond has a twist up his sleeve though to keep the viewers watching once it changes from celebs to civilians being in the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    all_night wrote: »
    I was really annoyed at the changes, but today i'm really pleased that Channel 5 bought the show back to life. I would like live feed back, but if they don't, it's not the end of the world. It would be nice if it manages to rate well for weeks to come.

i totaly felt the same all friday and sat i was annoyed about the whole live feed! but after watching sat HL show i really couldent care less if live feed comes back or not! its a diff show and im liking it!!
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS is renowned for being very out of touch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    hmm between Thursday and Saturday, the viewing figures halved. I don't think I'd be seeing that as a success!

And as for being out of touch, have you looked at facebook, C5s chosen vehicle to replace live feed, lately? Every post they put up is commented on, in the VAST majority, by people asking for live feed.

No I don't think we're out of touch at all!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it has a reputation as being reflective of wider public opinion on a whole host of issues, not just Big Brother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smoffi wrote: »
    hmm between Thursday and Saturday, the viewing figures halved. I don't think I'd be seeing that as a success!

And as for being out of touch, have you looked at facebook, C5s chosen vehicle to replace live feed, lately? Every post they put up is commented on, in the VAST majority, by people asking for live feed.

This has always happened after a launch show :confused: so maybe your out of touch yourself. And it's still a success as it's still one of C5's highest rating shows even though the ratings dipped to below 3m. They'd be happy with anything above 1.5m on a consistent level, so maybe you should do abit of research..
  • Options
    Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes...this forum is out of touch and the views posted here are just a drop in the ocean compared with the greater public who will always have the last say.

Good post by the way:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

C4's viewing figures for BB always did that too. For C5 it is indeed a roaring success.
  • Options
    mrs-tinky2mrs-tinky2 Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    james2018 wrote: »
    DS is renowned for being very out of touch

Why would you look or post on a "out of touch forum" then, I don't understand ???
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Night 1
    [HIGHLIGHT]5.2 million viewers;
    Channel 5's fourth highest overnight rating of all-time and easily their most watched programme of 2011;
    attracted a higher audience share (22%) than the CBB 2010 premiere on Channel 4 (21%).[/HIGHLIGHT]

Night 2
    [HIGHLIGHT]3.2 million viewers;
    Channel 5's second highest overnight rating of 2011;
    beat everything else in its timeslot bar a new episode of My Family on BBC One;
    grew its audience throughout the hour.[/HIGHLIGHT]

Night 3
    [HIGHLIGHT]2.7 million viewers;
    Channel 5's third highest overnight rating of 2011;
    highest rating for a summer Saturday highlights show since 2008;
    helped Channel 5 secure third place in the primetime shares for the third night in a row, beating rivals BBC Two and Channel 4.[/HIGHLIGHT]

These numbers are seriously impressive. Channel 5 have given the programme a new lease of life. Obviously it's still early days but even if it was to fall some more it still has plenty of breathing space before it would be anywhere near disappointing territory. The drops that it has experienced have been in line, or smaller even, than what occurred when the show was on Channel 4. So trying to link the decline to the changes to the format doesn't work. It's normal.

What a shame then, that with the programme successfully reborn it would appear, that this subforum is just going round and round in circles over the issue of live feed and filling every thread with negativity. I've lost track of the number of doom merchants who are predicting some kind of crisis - there's no evidence of it yet!

Time to just let it go for this series at least and enjoy the show for what it is - a thoroughly entertaining undemanding hour of television! :)

I think some just say things to try and get a reaction. I think Big Brother's just as good as it always has been.
  • Options
    Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

asking for live feed doesn't mean your out of touch...read the op again...your missing the point
  • Options
    gator8gator8 Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expected them to do fairly well with CBB.We might get a better idea when BB12 starts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I admit, I didn't know that the steep drop off in figures is 'normal' - I'll be interested to see if the decline continues.

However the facebook reactions cannot be denied!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. The massive number of people protesting all over Facebook and Twitter are mostly non-DS posters (a lot of have asked what DSBB is, many don't seem to look on any BB forums at all or even use FB/Twitter normally).

There is no question that the first three shows have proved extremely successful ratings wise. But it would be a brave - or stupid - person who claimed that any of the actual shows were an improvement over what we used to get on C4. They've been very poor indeed. This isn't so much a revamp as a massacre.

It's obvious that the early shows are going to get a lot of attention. X Factor started last night and there were a lot of people probably having a look at CBB who wouldn't normally. The presence of Jedward is guaranteeing about a million little girls tune in every night.

The real acid test would be a regular series of BB. IMHO, there is just no way it could sustain anywhere near the 2m average that Desmond has apparently said he'd be happy with, any more than BB10 could reach the 3m C4 considered to be the low water mark.

It's true that DSBB posters are often out of touch. We were fanatical over people like Aisleyne, who would have swept to a resounding victory over Perfect Pete and Gln had it been down to us. But on this occasion - no, we're not out of touch. This version of BB is terrible. A 24/7 LF wouldn't make the highlights show any better edited than it is. It wouldn't make Marcus less annoying. It wouldn't make the zelebs any more high profile. But it would at least give us the chance to see what was actually happening and comment on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

people still dont get it do they!!!! obviously ratings are going to level out!! sweet jeeeeeesssss how many time to you have to explain that to people and the thing about live feed!!! get over it!!! i want it back as much as the nxt guy but im not going to waste my time moaning about it from now on!! theres much more important things in life!!! sweet jeeeeeesss! loving the series already forgot about live feed!
  • Options
    glordmonkeyglordmonkey Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS has always been hugely out of touch, the AV referendum being a prime example of this!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. The massive number of people protesting all over Facebook and Twitter are mostly non-DS posters (a lot of have asked what DSBB is, many don't seem to look on any BB forums at all or even use FB/Twitter normally).

There is no question that the first three shows have proved extremely successful ratings wise. But it would be a brave - or stupid - person who claimed that any of the actual shows were an improvement over what we used to get on C4. They've been very poor indeed. This isn't so much a revamp as a massacre.

It's obvious that the early shows are going to get a lot of attention. X Factor started last night and there were a lot of people probably having a look at CBB who wouldn't normally. The presence of Jedward is guaranteeing about a million little girls tune in every night.

The real acid test would be a regular series of BB. IMHO, there is just no way it could sustain anywhere near the 2m average that Desmond has apparently said he'd be happy with, any more than BB10 could reach the 3m C4 considered to be the low water mark.

It's true that DSBB posters are often out of touch. We were fanatical over people like Aisleyne, who would have swept to a resounding victory of Perfect Pete and Gln had it been down to us. But on this occasion - no, we're not out of touch. This version of BB is terrible. A 24/7 LF wouldn't make the highlights show any better edited than it is. It wouldn't make Marcus less annoying. It wouldn't make the zelebs any more high profile. But it would at least give us the chance to see what was actually happen and comment on it.

How can you speak for the people who've enjoyed the series thus far? :confused: Personal opinions I'd accept but you can't claim fans of the new setup are stupid.. I think the decline in viewers when it aired on C4 showed people lost interest so I'd think the contrary now figures are sustainably higher this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C5 3 LF moaners 0

Less is more. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It puts to bed the argument that live feed is needed for the ratings. Thats now three series out of four where the ratings have been good or OK. BB10 had already collapsed by the same point we're at now but this series has held up exceptionally well. Its slightly up on last year.
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you wholeheartedly OP.

OK a few hundred keyboard warriors have been spamming the facebook and twitter pages. I don't understand how C5 haters use this as proof that their opinion in the majority, people that like the show aren't gonna go out of their way to write about in on those platforms to the extent of those who wish to complain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    heres my thoughts....

as much as i dont like the changes if it means that BB appeals to a wider audience and that its getting good enough viewing figures for BB to not get cancelled im happy:)

id rather have a different BB than no BB at all. i think that most people would say that.

however the time to really start judgeing the viewing figures is when BB12 starts. because if BB12 flops so does CBB9 and BB13. and if BB13 flops that means BB will definatly not be renewed for any further seasons.

as for the LF i think people are just going to have to accept its gone. and you never know in the future LF may return.

also i think considering that this is channel 5 these figures are truly phonomemol. there was a guess the viewing figures for launch night thread earlier in the week and the figures that people were gussesing for launch night were the likes of 2 million and 1.5 million with number dropping to the likes of 1 million and below for the HLs show.
    this may prove that DS is a bit out of touch witht he rest of the public.

however we will have to see how the next few months viewing figures pan out.....