Options

BBC2 Talking Pictures 12:30

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too short - I could happily have through a couple of hours of that. Great man, great actor.

Will they be cobbling together an Omar Sharif one now I wonder?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I'm no film buff, but I struggled to think of anything Omar Sharif has done of note since the 60's, although he could have been a busy bee in European Cinema.

Episode 10 of 10 in Series 2, then again Series 1 started as 10 parts then kept expanding randomly when the episodes turned up on BBC Two.

Whole series is probably based on price, what's the BBC got in the archive that won't cost them much to air.
    Shame they've got the same attitude to promoting their own product and don't want to spend on trailers for it.
    Downloading Christopher Lee now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Will they be cobbling together an Omar Sharif one now I wonder?

And here it is! On now. Would've been nice if they could show the Lawrence of Arabia clips in the correct aspect ratio instead of squeezing them to fill the 16:9 frame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bumpity Bump Anthony Hopkins @ 13:30, just spotted it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, what an abysmal interviewer Wogan was! Toe-curling stuff and not helped by the satellite delay.

Not seen the movie afterwards and was pleasantly surprised. Heart-warming stuff with a nice unshowy performance from the Welshman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New one on now - Hollywood actresses.

Jesus - How creepy is Joan Crawford?!?!
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Very creepy. Thanks for the heads up. Would have missed it. Even though I've seen most of those interviews in previous Talking Pictures episodes. Bette Davis. What a legend. So funny. And Debbie Reynolds was hilarious also.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
    Forum Member
    Very creepy. Thanks for the heads up. Would have missed it. Even though I've seen most of those interviews in previous Talking Pictures episodes. Bette Davis. What a legend. So funny. And Debbie Reynolds was hilarious also.

Bette Davis was a great storyteller and hilarious! In the interviews I've seen she didn't seem to take herself too seriously in contrast to Joan Crawford. I loved Debbie Reynolds' impressions, her Zsa Zsa Gabor was a hoot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British Comedies today at 2 followed by a screening of the excellent Lucky Jim.

Afternoon - Sorted.

Alternatively, if you get London Live the fabulous Ealing picture, Halfway House is on again also at 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen James Robertson Justice interviewed before. Fascinating.

Phenomenal comic actor.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Joan's eyebrows were were very distracting. :o She certainly came across as uptight. Fantastic actress, but not good in interviews. Bette Davis was the polar opposite. I could watch her interviews for hours. :cool:

Debby Reynolds was hilarious.

I have read all three of their autobiographies. All three have had very interesting lives to say the least.

Sad to think Natalie Wood was dead a year after the interview we saw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An unacceptable level of perving over Jodie Foster in that interview. If anyone wants to know about the prevailing attitudes of the BBC in the 70s just watch that clip!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An unacceptable level of perving over Jodie Foster in that interview. If anyone wants to know about the prevailing attitudes of the BBC in the 70s just watch that clip!

Yes, I felt a bit uncomfortable with that. The interviewer (was it Desmond Morris?) kept going on about her looks and the way she dressed. He wouldn't have said anything about the appearance of one of the young male actors I'm sure!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I felt a bit uncomfortable with that. The interviewer (was it Desmond Morris?) kept going on about her looks and the way she dressed. He wouldn't have said anything about the appearance of one of the young male actors I'm sure!

Nipped in an saw a little bit of program.
    What are you two on about.
    Appearance is suddenly a non issue in the Film business?
    Judy Garland started going downhill when the Studio stuck her on pep/diet pills, because they were worried about her weight.
    If Jodie Foster had gone down a similar road of addictions and problems, then an interview asking about her appearance and attitude to it, near the beginning of her career, would be a lot more relevant from this angle.
    If Jodie Foster didn't look like Jodie Foster it's unlikely she'd have had the career opportunity's she's had.

Just because it's an older man asking the questions doesn't mean he has
    /had designs on her, the perving here is in your minds.

As for not talking about a young actors appearance, that would depend on the young actor and if they got a lot of female attention, then it wouldn't be any kind of leap for the interviewer to ask about their appearance and attitude to it.
    I'd lay money that Michael J Fox got plenty of questions on that subject in his time.

As she was mentioned, what happened to Tatum O'neal's film career, pretty sure she won an award at 10 for Papermoon with her Dad, he as a F'up as a parent IIRC though, which might have bearing on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Jodie Foster had gone down a similar road of addictions and problems, then an interview asking about her appearance and attitude to it, near the beginning of her career, would be a lot more relevant from this angle.
    If Jodie Foster didn't look like Jodie Foster it's unlikely she'd have had the career opportunity's she's had.

Nothing to do with her prodigious acting ability then? I think you might've just reinforced the kind of creepy sexism shown in the interview. She was 15!

Impossible to say what was in his mind and one question on the subject would barely have registered but he kept coming back and back to it until both she and the watching audience were uncomfortable with it and at that point the "Why is he doing this?" pops into your mind.
    As for not talking about a young actors appearance, that would depend on the young actor and if they got a lot of female attention, then it wouldn't be any kind of leap for the interviewer to ask about their appearance and attitude to it.
    I'd lay money that Michael J Fox got plenty of questions on that subject in his time.

Nope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nipped in an saw a little bit of program.
    What are you two on about.
    Appearance is suddenly a non issue in the Film business?
    Judy Garland started going downhill when the Studio stuck her on pep/diet pills, because they were worried about her weight.

As she was mentioned, what happened to Tatum O'neal's film career, pretty sure she won an award at 10 for Papermoon with her Dad, he as a F'up as a parent IIRC though, which might have bearing on it.

I'm allowed to have an opinion thanks very much and I thought it was unnecessary that the interviewer kept asking her things like 'Don't you want to wear make up?' and 'Don't you wear dresses?' etc. And I didn't think the interviewer necessarily had designs on her I just thought what the hell did her choice not to wear dresses etc have to do with anything? He just kept pressing her about her looks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing to do with her prodigious acting ability then? I think you might've just reinforced the kind of creepy sexism shown in the interview. She was 15!

Said nothing about her acting ability.
    I was clearly talking about her appearance, if you want to argue the toss that if she looked like Rebel Wilson for example, she'd have even have got an interview for 90% of her film roles, then go ahead.
    Yup a fat Jodie Foster would have been Front and centre of those Disney films, because it's all about acting ability in Hollywood.

Now you can go off and infer someone else is some kind of nonce, because they disagree with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Said nothing about her acting ability.
    I was clearly talking about her appearance, if you want to argue the toss that if she looked like Rebel Wilson for example, she'd have even have got an interview for 90% of her film roles, then go ahead.
    Yup a fat Jodie Foster would have been Front and centre of those Disney films, because it's all about acting ability in Hollywood.

Some pejorative assertions there, none of them really worth replying to.
    Now you can go off and infer someone else is some kind of nonce, because they disagree with you.

The inference you take is of your own choosing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm allowed to have an opinion thanks very much and I thought it was unnecessary that the interviewer kept asking her things like 'Don't you want to wear make up?' and 'Don't you wear dresses?' etc. And I didn't think the interviewer necessarily had designs on her I just thought what the hell did her choice not to wear dresses etc have to do with anything? He just kept pressing her about her looks.

BIB No where did I say you can't have an opinion.
    I don't know what's up with you people, simply disagree with you and I have to read some guff about opinions and how they're allowed them.
    You've got a keyboard type whatever you like or not, I'm not trying to stop you.
    Quite why I need to point that out, I don't know, thought it was obvious.

Can't be ar$ed with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BIB No where did I say you can't have an opinion.
    I don't know what's up with you people, simply disagree with you and I have to read some guff about opinions and how they're allowed them.
    You've got a keyboard type whatever you like or not, I'm not trying to stop you.
    Quite why I need to point that out, I don't know, thought it was obvious.

Can't be ar$ed with this.

It's your pompous inference that we were wrong in what we said not that you disagree. You don't need to point anything out, could you get any more condescending?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC4 repeating the best ever one now - Orson Welles.
  • Options
    SupersoulSupersoul Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC4 repeating the best ever one now - Orson Welles.

Superb stuff. Could listen to him talk for hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the Orson Welles tip, Radio 4 Extra is airing Patrick McGilligan - Young Orson
    Orson Welles, the defining wunderkind of modern entertainment, gets his due in a new biography of his early years.

Omnibus is airing Sunday 1 hr 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Repeat of the Hitchcock one today at 1.30 followed by N-N-N-Notorious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New one - Alan Rickman today at 2.40.