Options

Best product for dry lips

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I always get dry lips in winter and it has started already. I find that vaseline just acts as a barrier to stop my lips getting more dry but it doesn't actually moisturise them or deal with the existing problem.

Can anyone recommend a product that really works?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vaseline is crap imo.
    I swear by Carmex if mine are really bad, but as soon as they start improving stick to Burts Bees. I've read that a lot of lip balms don't actually do anything, so you have to keep applying/buying, so try and stick to natural stuff if possible
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    Vaseline is crap imo.
    I swear by Carmex if mine are really bad, but as soon as they start improving stick to Burts Bees. I've read that a lot of lip balms don't actually do anything, so you have to keep applying/buying, so try and stick to natural stuff if possible[/QUOTE

When the weathers really cold (or hot) I use Carmex every night. It's part of my nighttime routine and I keep it by the bed.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Carmex.
    It works instantly, in mild cases.

My daughter once had chapped lips so bad they were bleeding. Carmex healed them completely within 2 days.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,023
    Forum Member
    Original Chap Stick used sparingly - and I mean sparingly, worked for me.

Vaseline is dreadful stuff.

I find the less product you use, the less you need.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Nivea Essential Care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I use Burt's Bees Honey or Original lip balm, Carmex or Blistex Med Plus Cherry Berry. They all work pretty well for me.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Mint wrote: »
    I like Nivea Essential Care.

Always use this, I hate dry lips.
  • Options
    OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything with beeswax or shea butter is good for your lips. Vaseline, Lypsyl etc creates a barrier and dries lips even more.
  • Options
    fruitiefruitie Posts: 6,566
    Forum Member
    The Body Shop's Vitamin E lip balm, only one that works for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    The NUXE Rêve de Miel Lip Moisturizing Stick is hands down the best lip balm for dry lips. It's super moisturising and your lips really feel protected when you use it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Lube.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,962
    Forum Member
    Lip balms with mineral oil like Vaseline are no help at all if your lips are dry when you put them on. I'd look for something that doesn't contain them - I like Burts Bees, especially the tinted ones. Aldi used to do one without mineral oil but the formula may have changed.

I don't know what ingredients Carmex contains, but I agree it is excellent if your lips are already sore and chapped
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exfoliate your lips once a day, then use the lip balm -works a treat. Get a flannel or a soft toothbrush and rub your lips, not too harshly but firmly -Zhou shouldn't be making them bleed.

Taking off the dead skin allows the new skin to be moisturised and remain better protected.
  • Options
    labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently bought Dr Lipps Nipple Balm for Lips...has worked a treat. Cost me around £10 though...
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Lip Balm.

I've been using it almost everyday since 2001 when I first started my acne treatment. Haven't stopped using it and swear by it.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Lip Balm.

I've been using it almost everyday since 2001 when I first started my acne treatment. Haven't stopped using it and swear by it.

^^^this is brilliant, I agree!:) plus 'epiderm' like a Vaseline in look ( Vaseline I detest & merely sits on the surface & doesn't moisturise) but is far superior. Available in tubs from most chemists. :)
  • Options
    pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    Exfoliate your lips once a day, then use the lip balm -works a treat. Get a flannel or a soft toothbrush and rub your lips, not too harshly but firmly -Zhou shouldn't be making them bleed.

Taking off the dead skin allows the new skin to be moisturised and remain better protected.

This helped me no end. I use blistex medplus at night, and while it was helping, my lips were still too dry and cracked. When I started using the wet flannel after a shower in, conjunction with the blistex, there was a massive improvement. They were so soft and smooth. I also like Zam - Buk for the day...stocked up on loads when I went back to Za but I understand you can get it here outside Saffa shops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blistex Relief Cream - I will never use any other lip product now after discovering this little beauty. My lips chap so badly and this is the only product that has consistently helped to properly moisturise them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I always get dry lips in winter and it has started already. I find that vaseline just acts as a barrier to stop my lips getting more dry but it doesn't actually moisturise them or deal with the existing problem.

Can anyone recommend a product that really works?

They are many cosmetics in pharmacy that you can buy for dry lips. Most of oily cream should help, but most of lip gloss make lips more dry. Better would be a simple cosmetic petroleum jelly from drug store, used regularly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just started with Carmex but am finding my lips seem even more dry than before once it wears off. I'm slapping it on morning, noon and night. I got the tube rather than the pot but the ingredients look the same. Vaseline isn't working either.

I've just seen a new La Roche Posay one reviewed by the BritishBeautyBlogger and I use their skin cream but it seems to be out of stock everywhere at the mo.
  • Options
    Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blistex/Blisteze cream
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carmex for me!
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Body Shop's hemp lip protector.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Body Shop's hemp lip protector.

This ^ ^ or as I think another poster mentioned, Burt Bees Tinted Lip Balm. Coconut oil is quite good too and very versatile.