peanut oil, peanut butter or straight up peanuts?

pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I make this thick soup/thin stew with tomatoes,stock, lentils, onion, garlic, various spices, chicken and peanut butter. I am looking to make it ever so slightly healthier and the only ingredient I can see that tips this over is the peanut butter. I usually use 1-2 tbsp (depending on how much I am making).

I thought that maybe using peanuts might be a better alternative as I reasoned peanuts have the stronger flavour and I would need less of them than I would peanut butter. I crushed up about 30 of them, but the cals work out at 180, which is pretty much the same as peanut butter. After reading around I found peanut oil has about 119 per tablespoon. I don't know how strong the peanut flavouring is though. I was hoping that is was strong enough to add a peanut flavour when using even less than a tablespoon.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice, or ideas that might help me.

Comments

• andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Peanut oil will have more calories than peanut butter because peanut oil has a higher fat percentage than peanut butter
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would stick with the peanut butter, I think, The calories won't hardly change with different types of nut based substitutes.- but the texture probably will. If you don't want so many calories leave the nuts out altogether.

maybe chick peas would work, but I expect they are similarly calorific.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ingredients you've posted are perfectly healthy. If you're concerned about calories then eat a smaller portion.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Peanut oil is fairly neutral.

It's not a flavoured oil unlike walnut oil or toasted seasame oil
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The peanut butter is for texture and flavour. It tastes of peanuts and thickens the stew. Omit it and alter both.
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of cutting out the peanut butter perhaps look for a healthier brand?
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead of cutting out the peanut butter perhaps look for a healthier brand?

if you get whole earth peanut butter, the ingredients are: peanuts.
    it's hard to see how you get healthier than this

sunpat and others adds sugar as well. why? price?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make this thick soup/thin stew with tomatoes,stock, lentils, onion, garlic, various spices, chicken and peanut butter. I am looking to make it ever so slightly healthier and the only ingredient I can see that tips this over is the peanut butter. I usually use 1-2 tbsp (depending on how much I am making).

I thought that maybe using peanuts might be a better alternative as I reasoned peanuts have the stronger flavour and I would need less of them than I would peanut butter. I crushed up about 30 of them, but the cals work out at 180, which is pretty much the same as peanut butter. After reading around I found peanut oil has about 119 per tablespoon. I don't know how strong the peanut flavouring is though. I was hoping that is was strong enough to add a peanut flavour when using even less than a tablespoon.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice, or ideas that might help me.

The fat in peanut butter is the much healthier monounsaturated fat. So I wouldn't worry too much about the fat as you may do over the saturated fat in other foods.
    You might want to seek out natural peanut butter, but it will probably cost you a bit more.
    I'd try to avoid Sunpat PB and other brands which have a higher sugar content.
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses ^_^ I have to admit I actually usually use the be good to yourself peanut butter, which does have less calories, but does have an excess syrup type situation going on. Not that it's actually all that sweet. I think I'll just stick to the peanut butter, or add the occasional handful of crushed peanut for when I fancy a crunch. I do actually have a pretty healthy normal diet, but after the excesses of Christmas I thought I'd cut a bit here and there just to try and balance it out.