Options

Eurovision 06 - Live From Athens, Greece (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
Forum Member
✭✭
Another year, Another contest.

Once all the talking has stopped about last years contest (let's move on - we really didn't do well!), what are the hopes for this year?

No news yet on the BBC website, but whats the lowdown so far on Making Your Mind Up 2006?

bbc.co.uk/eurovision

Comments

• Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old Javine, she deserved better.

I think it's gonna be another week or two before the BBC announces anything. Lisa Scott-Lee was mentioned but think it was a false rumour. It would be quite amusing to see her defeated again.

I know Brian Kennedy is definitely singing for Ireland and Rednex are one of the favourites in Sweden.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disturbingly, BBC Radio 1 mentioned that Channel4's 'fake celeb' Big Bro band 'Kandy Floss', would be competing, though God knows how!

Not that it would matter to Radio 1 anyway, they don't bother to play our Eurovision entrant EVER!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other than the actual BBC website, a good like would be ESCToday , as it appears to have all the know.

Also, on Radio 2s Sold On Song website, you can hear 10 songs written for MYMU, only one will feature in the final programme though, I'm not sure any of them are any good.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbc4ever wrote:
    Also, on Radio 2s Sold On Song website, you can hear 10 songs written for MYMU, only one will feature in the final programme though, I'm not sure any of them are any good.

it's a shame only one will feature in the final programme
    the quality of the sound is a bit iffy in all of the tracks, but
    imo there are several songs better than last years winner
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/soldonsong/whatson/searchforasong.shtml
    if it has to be just the one i'm going for the singer of song 8
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate Athens. I spend six solid hours in a hotel there once waiting for the damn coach to pick us up and take us to the airport. It's a dirty, smelly city with way too many cars, awful TV and crap restaurant service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they not improved it though since the Olympics? I thought it had been cleaned up a bit, but could be mistaken. Also, is it any worse than recent hosts (Kiev, Istanbul, Riga, Talinn)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Polish entry is by their 2003 entrant Ich Troje with O-Jay the rapper from Real McCoy who had a few big hits in the 90s with "Another Night" and "Run Away". He's looking old :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From News Of The World today -

X-Factor star Chico Slimani is one of the five acts who'll do battle to represent the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest. The ex-stripper and former Moroccan goatherder takes on fellow reality TV act Liberty X, Atomic Kitten cutie Natasha Hamilton, and up and coming perormers DJ Daz and Four Story. Chico, 34, who now lives in South London, is likely to sing his X-Factor hit Chico Time. Viewers will vote for a winner next month on the BBC1 show Making Your Mind Up. An insider said "competition is fierce".

It's very very believable. Liberty X are in desperate need of something like this because their album sales have been poor recently - Natasha needs some sort of gimmick. DJ Daz is the same guy who was behind Bus Stop's 1998 cover of "Kung Fu Fighting" and released The Whoah Song in parts of Europe last year (I know his manager) see www.djdaz.com and Four Story are a new grown-up ish boyband who are about to release their first single. http://www.music-house.co.uk/fcl/si...p?SingleID=1030

I must say I'd be rather annoyed if Chico won... great stage presence but very cheesy, was actually told he ought to do Eurovision by one of the judges on X-Factor (bit like Idols..). He'd be almost certain to win with Chico Time because everyone knows it already. Trying to remember the lyrics... you could get delerious if you take life too serioussssss! It's Chico Time! Awful.
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    If Liberty X are going for it, I'd like to see them win and go forward to the contest.

Please not Chico :eek:
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    What about Nicki Sanderson from Corrie with Staus Quo as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm....if it is Chico, Natasha Hamilton and DJ Daz then we can just forget it and gain the dreaded 0....

Liberty X on the otherhand, could do the damage and get a good result with a strong song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I am surprised by the line-up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i blame wogan :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

After many successfully mounted a 'Stop Jordan Representing the UK' campaign last year, I fear we will have to mount a 'Stop Chico Representing the UK' campaign. Please no, why do the BBC persist with this. Putting in a credible act (oh please let it be true that Liberty X are doing it) and force them into a competition with an act of pure cheese!

If the Liberty X rumours are true : LIBERTY X - 12 POINTS!

Keep it on bbc.co.uk/eurovision for more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if the liberty rumours are true ~ nil point

the eurovision song contest has been hijacted by vested interests..

we own the bbc not the record companies
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJ Daz is part of that remix team, Uniting Nations.

The BBC have no intention of having a credible act having a decent song winning MYMU and thus having any chance of the UK winning (I think the Beeb remember the cost last time it was staged in Birmingham and have thoughtfully nobbled us forever more).

....hindsight suggests nobody will vote for us anyway so why bother (partisan voting, political voting, voting for the country next to you and what not).

Liberty X versus Chico will be a laugh and it'll be reminiscient of Javine vs Jordan. I expect Chico will be nobbled as the BBC don't want to be a complete laughing stock (internet vote will probably be the only one who'll make Chico their number one choice just like Jordan last year).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Apparently it's not true, according to ESC Today:

http://www.esctoday.com/news/read/5485?PHPSESSID=acd73b57c225c8584e0b3d187531b831

Mind you, they also denied last year that Jordan was taking part, so who knows if there is any truth to it?

Have heard, however, that Chico is releasing Chico Time as a single on February 27 - and since one of the rules of Eurovision is that your entry can't have been recorded before (correct me if I'm wrong, fellow Eurovision fans!), that would rule that song out of the running at least!

Out of interest, who would people like to see represent the UK? Any suggestions......?
  • Options
    aquaplexaquaplex Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    i wouldnt mind seeing Jessica Garlick return from the wilderness... she got joint 3rd, our highest for quite some time....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to ESCToday, the BBC has denied all reports featured in the News of The World. So I'm betting its Goodbye Liberty X, but still Chico, eek!
  • Options
    most_hauntedmost_haunted Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazza100 wrote:
    Apparently it's not true, according to ESC Today:

http://www.esctoday.com/news/read/5485?PHPSESSID=acd73b57c225c8584e0b3d187531b831

Mind you, they also denied last year that Jordan was taking part, so who knows if there is any truth to it?

Have heard, however, that Chico is releasing Chico Time as a single on February 27 - and since one of the rules of Eurovision is that your entry can't have been recorded before (correct me if I'm wrong, fellow Eurovision fans!), that would rule that song out of the running at least!

Out of interest, who would people like to see represent the UK? Any suggestions......?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can send a song in if it has been recorded since the last contest, which this will have been. Four Story's vid is on The Box too and James Fox released his song a few weeks before the 2004 contest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rule is that the song cannot have been commercially released (or publicly performed either I think) before October 1st of the previous year. It must have been around November Chico Time was first performed so theoretically would be eligible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so most of u think Chico shouldn't pefrorm in the very musically credible eurovision song contest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    most of the countries treat the competition seriously
    unfortunately the balkan states, the eastern european
    countries and the uk still treat it with contempt..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it the Balkan and Eastern European states that are the most fervently competitive?

And it would be an event of high quality music if people like the BBC took it more seriously!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a common misconception that the UK could never win this again...we have performed poorly in the past 3 years because we've had poor songs...the awful Cry Baby, the forgettable and dull James Fox, and the screechy Javine who's song had the exact same beat as about 15 other countries!

If we enetered a really good song and a really good singer we could win it - however with the BBC providing us with Chico and LSL we don't have that oportunity...which is a shame.

Regarding novelty entries, it depends whether we want to win it or not, we will never win with a novelty entry.

And yes, Political voting does take place but overall this does not greatly affect the overall result!

There we go...thats all my opinions... I'd love to see some talented singers, Journey South perhaps? - Two guys on a guitar, won for Denmark in 2000, Did well for Lativa last year - could do well for us!
This discussion has been closed.