Does anyone NOT use their home phone?

2»

Comments

• davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not get a £10 Virgin SIM for your mobile - 300 mins plus 300 text all inclusive?
    Thats only 3.3p a minute to mobiles and other land lines and the texts could be viewed as free.
    If you need a landline number, sign up to Tesco via your PC - you get a local prefix VOIP number.
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    davebav50 wrote: »
    Why not get a £10 Virgin SIM for your mobile - 300 mins plus 300 text all inclusive?
    Thats only 3.3p a minute to mobiles and other land lines and the texts could be viewed as free.
    If you need a landline number, sign up to Tesco via your PC - you get a local prefix VOIP number.

Don't bother with Tesco, there's plenty of other and better VoIP providers out there, most offering local number for no charge, Sipgate for example, OrbTalk another.

Tesco & Skype are the two dearer VoIP providers.

Sipgate is ideal if you just want a UK number and you can use the free voicemail service and divert all incoming calls to that.
  • davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just signed up to DrayTEL for use with my new Voip phone.

The pleasant surprises for me are:
    1. no connection fee
    2. better call quality. Noticeably.
    3. incoming calls give caller ID. Free. That's £1.75/month saved straight away.

So far I'm impressed and would get rid of the Virgin phone, if my tariff allowed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have what must be the XL phone package, and it costs me next to nothing. I have a mobile for emergencies and incoming calls only.

I've had the same mobile phone for donkeys' years, and haven't had to top it up for years and years. It was a Mercury package when I bought it, and they can't change the contract. Which means so long as it is in credit, they can't terminate it. It's now run by T-Mobile.

I had a "registration credit" in 2004 and still have about £7 left of that. I think that when T-Mobile took over the account, they had to give me a credit, as I haven't put any credits into the account for years before that.

I wonder if anyone else still has the same PAYG contract? These days, if you don't buy topups you lose your "line".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    We never use the landline, because we have the vm and it's
    cheaper to use the mobiles than the landline ..