The 'Daleks every year' rule

inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there actually a rule stating that the Daleks must appear every year new who is on? I have heard a lot of talk about part of the contract with the Terry Nation estate stating that they must appear at least once a year. Or is that just an urban legend?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a myth
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a myth

Is it? Can you provide evidence of this please.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be true, it might be myth, but a clause like that would be buried in secrecy and non-disclosure clauses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I Know Steven Moffat Said In An Interview After "The Wedding Of River Song" Aired:

"As If We'd Have A Series Without The Daleks!"

So I Think Its True, As Much As I Love The Daleks, I Don't Think They Should Appear So Much, Especially As Cameos. Steven Says He Doesnt Want To Bring A Character Back Unless He Has A Good Reason For Them To Come Back, I Think He Should Make This Rule With The Daleks Too
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there actually a rule stating that the Daleks must appear every year new who is on? I have heard a lot of talk about part of the contract with the Terry Nation estate stating that they must appear at least once a year. Or is that just an urban legend?

Well, maybe we'll find out someday, but it has a ring of truth about it as we know it wasn't a given that they would return in 2005 and alternatives were considered script wise before we got 'Dalek'. Of course it should depend upon there being a strong story to tell rather than contractual obligation, but there's always a way around it. Personally loved the scene with the stricken Dalek being mocked by Eleven in TWORS, but it was only a 'cameo'....

Edit: And the badly named 2009 'specials' year didn't have them.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it? Can you provide evidence of this please.
    It's a fallacy to ask someone to prove a negative. Surely the claim of a contractual stipulation is the one which requires evidence?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fallacy to ask someone to prove a negative. Surely the claim of a contractual stipulation is the one which requires evidence?

No it is not, because the someone specifically stated that there was no such agreement. Therefore they must have the evidence to make such a statement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, maybe we'll find out someday, but it has a ring of truth about it as we know it wasn't a given that they would return in 2005 and alternatives were considered script wise before we got 'Dalek'. Of course it should depend upon there being a strong story to tell rather than contractual obligation, but there's always a way around it. Personally loved the scene with the stricken Dalek being mocked by Eleven in TWORS, but it was only a 'cameo'....

Edit: And the badly named 2009 'specials' year didn't have them.

Yes they did, in Waters of Mars. Which kind of adds weight to the theory that there is some sort of agreement because the Dalek's appearance in WoM was superfluous and added nothing to the plot.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they did, in Waters of Mars. Which kind of adds weight to the theory that there is some sort of agreement because the Dalek's appearance in WoM was superfluous and added nothing to the plot.

Here is the evidence to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9fyy7o4fczY#t=92

:)
  • chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    As a kid in the 70's & 80's dalek stories only came round every now & again so it was a treat & well worth the wait.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Nobody has ever come ahead to say that it isn't the case, but it seems like a question that is likely to have been asked on numerous occasions. I'd wager that it is likely true, but open discussion of contractual agreements at the BBC would likely be in breach of those contracts.

I would say that I believe it to be true. The inclusion of the Daleks in the Tennant Specials and Series 6 really weren't particularly necessary in regards to the plots, but perhaps were more necessary on a contractual level - it does add up. For the most part I do think that the writers have also done their best to minimise the impact of this agreement - the Series 2 appearance was more or less consigned to a single episode, Series 3's appearance was distanced significantly away from their next appearance at the end of Series 4 (I remember Evolution of the Daleks and The Stolen Earth being the longest absence of Daleks in NuWho up to that point) and Moffat has worked even harder to minimise their overuse.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    No it is not, because the someone specifically stated that there was no such agreement. Therefore they must have the evidence to make such a statement.
    The evidence that there is no such agreement is the lack of evidence that there is such an agreement. There being no contractual stipulation that the Daleks always appear is the default position, the null hypothesis.

Compare:
    "Everyone knows that unicorns exist."
    "No, they don't."
    "Prove they don't."
    Or, the classic:
    "This elephant repellent is amazing, I haven't seen any elephants around here for ages." You can't prove that the repellent doesn't work.

The most parsimonious explanation is that they have the rights to use the Doctor's most famous enemies, and they're damn well going to get the most out of them.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are of course correct. :blush: The 'Specials' boxset is one I've never had the urge to buy so not got detailed knowledge of those stories (my excuse) but I do remember the scene with the 'young' Adelaide now. And yeah, that does add weight to the theory....
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The evidence that there is no such agreement is the lack of evidence that there is such an agreement. There being no contractual stipulation that the Daleks always appear is the default position, the null hypothesis.

Compare:
    "Everyone knows that unicorns exist."
    "No, they don't."
    "Prove they don't."
    Or, the classic:
    "This elephant repellent is amazing, I haven't seen any elephants around here for ages." You can't prove that the repellent doesn't work.

The most parsimonious explanation is that they have the rights to use the Doctor's most famous enemies, and they're damn well going to get the most out of them.

Not this again. Just because there is no evidence of something (especially in this case because the lack of evidence is due to confidentiality) does not allow someone to say the opposite is true. I agree it is evidence that the null hypothesis may be true in some situations (e.g. bigfoot and other creatures whose existence is being questioned) but you can't say the null hypothesis is true without proof or a reasonably large amount of evidence to suggest it is true (rather than evidence that suggests the alternative hypothesis is false). All you can say is the null hypothesis cannot be rejected. As for the Unicorn example that is a bad example you can easily prove it is not the case by simply asking a few people whether they believe Unicorns exist.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they are the doctors oldest enemy. Cybermen follow as a close second. They probably put them in a lot because tehy know they are popular with the fans. Long as they write good stories does it really matter ?. Personally I like a mixture of old/new allien/creature and human baddies for our hero to face and defeat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Daleks, but I think they are a little bit overused.
    I think that every recurring character or enemie should appear every 2-3 seasons, because if they appear too often, they are not so much interesting and exciting.
    Forum Member
    bp2 wrote: »
    Not this again. Just because there is no evidence of something (especially in this case because the lack of evidence is due to confidentiality) does not allow someone to say the opposite is true.
    Not really, darthbibble said it's a myth, not that it's false. A myth, like a unicorn, is something that has never been shown to exist. It is, by definition, unproven.
    All you can say is the null hypothesis cannot be rejected. As for the Unicorn example that is a bad example you can easily prove it is not the case by simply asking a few people whether they believe Unicorns exist.
    No matter how many people believe unicorns exist, that's no evidence that they do. Nor can we conclusively prove that a unicorn is logically impossible.

What we can say is - there are no known unicorns. There are no known contractual stipulations that the Daleks appear in every series. Any evidence presented thus far is circumstantial.

For example, you could equally draw the conclusion that there's a contractual stipulation that the Doctor's primary companion be female, based on the same kind of evidence.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I feel pretty certain it's true. We're now 10 years in and they have appeared every year, including two occasions where they made very random, unconnected appearances (The Specials and Series 6). The Nation estate has historically been very possessive of the rights and I have no trouble believing such a clause exists.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I don't know whether there is an agreement, but I for one would be more than disappointed if there was a series without any Daleks !
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member

How can you have evidence that a piece of paper doesn't exist. You can only have evidence if it does exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    How can you have evidence that a piece of paper doesn't exist. You can only have evidence if it does exist.

Therefore there is no evidence it is a myth which proves my point.
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sticker,375x360.png

The_Dalek_Interpretation.jpg
    Forum Member
    Therefore there is no evidence it is a myth which proves my point.
    The point is that a myth is something that has no evidence as to it's existence!

If I say that ghosts don't exist, the only evidence I could ever produce is that they have never been reliably shown to exist.

Asking me to prove my case by producing evidence that, if my case were true, wouldn't exist ... is a complete logical contradiction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People like the Daleks so they appear a lot, its not contractual. Angels are popular so they appear alot